Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] America’s Cup: Prada Cup

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Who knew this could make for such an exciting watch! Huge racing yachts at crazy speeds turning on a sixpence weaving up and down the course. Great tussle with the Italians going on at the moment on Sky Sports Mix. No clue of the methods and tactics but compelling viewing!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The technology, manoeuvrability and speed is jaw dropping but I prefer the look of the old Americas Cup yachts

EA9CD2E9-6CC0-4C85-8471-9A3B62D171AD.jpeg

AF3EE12D-E59B-4724-81A8-1E0B30002DEE.jpeg

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I saw the last Americas Cup in Bermuda. Have to say it was cool to be there for it but you can only get a sense of what is going on by watching the screens. They used catamarans last time, still foiling, and watching them fly across the water at 50 and 60 mph was quite a sight. We have a sailGP event here in April, just before I am due to leave the island. Looking forward to that too.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Total disaster in Race 1.

GB fell off the foils in the pre-start, left wallowing and becalmed like a beached hippo while the Italians shot off into the distance. No chance of ever catching up. 0-1.

Race 2, Luna Rossa just a couple of knots faster and smoother the whole way. In some ways, more worrying than Race 1 - the Italians just seemed to be a cut above GB in every department, like the reverse of the last round of races when GB was clearly the better boat.

Commentators debating if GB maybe had an inferior jib up for the conditions, but not sure if it was as basic as ‘one thing’.

Work needed for the next races to get back in this. A disappointing morning. 0-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Total disaster in Race 1.

GB fell off the foils in the pre-start, left wallowing and becalmed like a beached hippo while the Italians shot off into the distance. No chance of ever catching up. 0-1.

Race 2, Luna Rossa just a couple of knots faster and smoother the whole way. In some ways, more worrying than Race 1 - the Italians just seemed to be a cut above GB in every department, like the reverse of the last round of races when GB was clearly the better boat.

Commentators debating if GB maybe had an inferior jib up for the conditions, but not sure if it was as basic as ‘one thing’.

Work needed for the next races to get back in this. A disappointing morning. 0-2.

Ineos struggling in the light winds, for sure. If they change to an inner course tomorrow with the predicted stronger winds and they are still struggling then that will be it for them Im afraid. Their saving grace before was that they were sailing it like a dinghy in shifty conditions and their better dinghy skills helped them to win. LR seem to have improved their comms which was a big let down for them before.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Now 0-4.

GB messed up both today’s pre-starts, and Italy comfortably brought both races home thereafter.

Hard to see a way back from here, with first to 7 going through to face the Kiwis. Massive disappointment, as we bossed the last round and looked set to reach the finals.

Wednesday races postponed as Auckland now enters 3-day lockdown.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We are going to feck this up AGAIN aren’t we? Glorious failure

166 years and counting with ZERO wins

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We are going to feck this up AGAIN aren’t we? Glorious failure

166 years and counting with ZERO wins

For a sea-faring nation, this is indeed a DISGRACE.

We clearly have inadequate seamen.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North

What? Do you mean other than being the most successful nation in Olympic History? We have multiple world champions as well. The Americas Cup is fun but its an extremely rich mans thing. These foiling monohulls are great and the Cats are even better in my view. Wait until SailGP comes along in the summer where there is true One Design racing. I think we will be pretty good at that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What? Do you mean other than being the most successful nation in Olympic History? We have multiple world champions as well. The Americas Cup is fun but its an extremely rich mans thing. These foiling monohulls are great and the Cats are even better in my view. Wait until SailGP comes along in the summer where there is true One Design racing. I think we will be pretty good at that.

I only said it to get my semen joke in.

Its my level, you see.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Its all kicking off in NZ!

The Italians get their way.

Racing starts again tomorrow, with no spectators.

At 0-4 down, GB really need to win 3 of this weekend's 4 races to even stand a chance of getting back into this.

Not holding out much hope, but will be up in time to watch Race 5 (7am here).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

In respect of our great history as a maritime nation surely we should be allowed to mount cannon and have the right to use them ? put some bar shot through that Italian rigging and we will see what they are made of then !

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Even the LANDLOCKED Swiss have won it :rolleyes: stick to the sailing a dinghy Sir Ben.

It is a disgrace that we have never won the America’s Cup imo

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In respect of our great history as a maritime nation surely we should be allowed to mount cannon and have the right to use them ? put some bar shot through that Italian rigging and we will see what they are made of then !

You'd certainly have me tuning in for that. Hopefully there'd be some FRENCHIES to send down to see Davy Jones's locker as well.

Arrr.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here