Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Tomato and chilli/pepper growing

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Got a greenhouse for the first time this year and although have grown previously outdoors want to try in my small polycarbonate greenhouse 6x4.

Based in in the cooler climes of West Yorkshire so looking for any recommendations and advice as it must be getting on time to start sowing.

I have a seedling heat map for getting started.

So experts advise away please.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've started my chilies already inside. 8 plug propagator on the window sill near a radiator.

Do the same every year with Chillies.

Tomatoes (now) a waste of time. Not enough light and they don't get ahead anyway in my experience.

So if you like chillies and if you have a heat mat, I'd get them going now.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've started my chilies already inside. 8 plug propagator on the window sill near a radiator.

Tomatoes (now) a waste of time. Not enough light and they don't get ahead anyway in my experience.

Got a greenhouse for the first time this year and although have grown previously outdoors want to try in my small polycarbonate greenhouse 6x4.

Based in in the cooler climes of West Yorkshire so looking for any recommendations and advice as it must be getting on time to start sowing.

I have a seedling heat map for getting started.

So experts advise away please.

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...illi-Growing-Thread&highlight=Growing+chillis

This should help you :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm be growing again my favourite Spanish variety Guindilla. Almost impossible to get hold of the seeds, so I saved a load from last years crop.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I have a bundle of chillies 🌶 I grew a few years ago and dried out
I found them at the pack of the cupboard What are the chances the seeds will be ok to grow ?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Had loads of chillies last year pretty hot ones in my greenhouse, didn't plant them though so must've taken from an old plant like my tomatoes loads of the buggers and really sweet

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
You need to be growing some of these bad boys.

Re3936bb1bce4a19b1bac6fba2580cc60.png

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I had a look through that historic thread. Any tips for growing tomatoes outside?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Chillis have been in for nearly 3 weeks now. All up, need potting on soon.
Tomatoes and sweet peppers to be sown next week.

Edit, god knows why it’s sideways!!!

1D9D3E03-838B-4E8D-85BA-D24AF8C144A5.jpeg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have a bundle of chillies 🌶 I grew a few years ago and dried out
I found them at the pack of the cupboard What are the chances the seeds will be ok to grow ?

Very good.. There is every chance they will grow, unless of course they are F1 hybrids in which case they might not germinate or breed true.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I had a look through that historic thread. Any tips for growing tomatoes outside?

Haven't grown tomatoes from seed, but buy from garden centres as small plants; we like the sweet cherry tomatoes, so Gardener's Delight or Sungold for us.

Usually buy in April, and put the pots out during the day to toughten them up, then bring in at night, otherwise any frost could fatally damage them.

Plant outside permanently when lasts frosts have gone, usually early May.

Avoid a spot where they will get too much sun all day (ie, not south-facing) otherwise they will wilt in the heat - or need watering 2-3 times per day (OK, if you or a family member are at home, but no good if you're at work).

You'll need something (poles, posts) to tie them to for support - ours grow to 7-8 feet - or they'll collapse with the weight of the fruit in the summer, and the stems will snap. They produce so many tomatoes that, before they ripen, they look like bunches of grapes.

Otherwise, water once a day, and mix in some tomato feed once or twice a week once the flowers appear.

Ready to eat from late June until September. Something really pleasing about eating a salad outdoors on a summer's evening, with home-grown freshly-picked tomatoes still warm from that day's sun. And they are so much tastier than supermarket tomatoes.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thank you PiB.
A couple of questions:
1, cherry toms are great, and I'll look to grow some, but I'm a big fan of larger tomatoes, eg Coeur du Lion, Marmande. Have you grown these?
2, our new place's orientation is east west. Unfortunately the east is where the back garden is, so we'll only get direct sunlight until (probably very) early afternoon. (The problem with the front is that there's less space; mind you, there's very little space out the back.) What you seem to be saying about wilting/south-facing is that we'll be OK to go out the back, or would you recommend experimenting with both front/west-facing and back/east-facing?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Just got new tomatoes shooting from seed from previous plant. I left a couple off fallen ones on the ground for a week, gave it a go and planted the tom about two inches down. Lo and behold got about a dozen new shoots now. Apparently most die off as one becomes the 'winner'. More luck than judgement, if I had read how to to do this online I wouldnt have bothered as they make it mega touch and go whether it works.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here