Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Gold censorship

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...pet-comes-alert-offensive-content-Disney.html

Now even The Muppets are branded racist: Disney slaps popular show with an alert about 'offensive content' and it can only be seen on an adult account

Viewers are greeted with the disclaimer: 'This programme includes negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures. These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now.

'Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together.'

The warning is believed to refer to Muppet characters designed as stereotypes of Native Americans, Arabs and East Asians.

In another episode, the singer Johnny Cash plays on a stage adorned with the Confederate flag.

Some episodes of the show, which was first broadcast 45 years ago, have disappeared entirely from British screens.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...pet-comes-alert-offensive-content-Disney.html

Now even The Muppets are branded racist: Disney slaps popular show with an alert about 'offensive content' and it can only be seen on an adult account

Viewers are greeted with the disclaimer: 'This programme includes negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures. These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now.

'Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together.'

The warning is believed to refer to Muppet characters designed as stereotypes of Native Americans, Arabs and East Asians.

In another episode, the singer Johnny Cash plays on a stage adorned with the Confederate flag.

Some episodes of the show, which was first broadcast 45 years ago, have disappeared entirely from British screens.

Seems like the only ones using the term racist were the daily mail

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What's that background grinding noise I hear? Oh, it's the Mail scraping the bottom of the outrage barrel.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
What's that background grinding noise I hear? Oh, it's the Mail scraping the bottom of the outrage barrel.

and of course it goes without saying, this is the biggest news story of the day, not Matt Hancock breaking the law, maybe [MENTION=13923]carlzeiss[/MENTION] skipped past that story or the Maill didn't feel it newsworthy?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
cfbf8742de6ea988f4741a02c96f9882.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Can you not get your Mum or Dad to enter the PIN so you can watch it?

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Interesting certain people feel their civil liberties and / or right to freedom of speech are threatened but were happy to give up their freedom of movement and human rights?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Sad times indeed,anything seems to offensive to the modern day wokeflake, watched the classic Dick Emery film the other day, “Ooh you are awful .” Cut to ribbons,Auf Wiedersen pet, cut, seems no one is to have a laugh anymore.. cancel culture innit.
Glad I grew up when I did,when this country had a pair of nuts.

Interesting that you hark back to an era when Mary Whitehouse was at her height, and garnered enough power that the BBC and other institutions were forced into unprecedented levels of censorship. She actually succeeded in getting films like A Clockwork Orange banned. She actually also succeeded in making the BBC ban My Ding-A-Ling by Chuck Berry. :shrug:

It is amusing that people of a certain age rally against censorship and hark back to "when I grew up" - when you grew up when censorship was far stricter than it is now! If anything, your generation invented cancel culture. It's actually now we're far more accepting of a diverse mix of art, culture, entertainment and influences pushing boundaries. You just don't like it that's all.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Mary Whitehouse was ridiculed by the person in the street ......she never withstood the "pub test" and rightly so .....bloody weirdo.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Interesting that you hark back to an era when Mary Whitehouse was at her height, and garnered enough power that the BBC and other institutions were forced into unprecedented levels of censorship. She actually succeeded in getting films like A Clockwork Orange banned. She actually also succeeded in making the BBC ban My Ding-A-Ling by Chuck Berry. :shrug:

It is amusing that people of a certain age rally against censorship and hark back to "when I grew up" - when you grew up when censorship was far stricter than it is now! If anything, your generation invented cancel culture. It's actually now we're far more accepting of a diverse mix of art, culture, entertainment and influences pushing boundaries. You just don't like it that's all.

Another one talking out their fart pipe.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Mary Whitehouse was ridiculed by the person in the street ......she never withstood the "pub test" and rightly so .....bloody weirdo.

That’s not true, she emboldened a huge portion of society. Do you remember Monty Python having to go on national tv to explain the Life of Brian wasn’t blasphemy!? Shocking times for censorship - we’ve never had it so good for creative freedom.

Life of Brian another film banned back when the UK ‘had balls’ :lolol:

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Interesting certain people feel their civil liberties and / or right to freedom of speech are threatened but were happy to give up their freedom of movement and human rights?

Who has given up their human rights? Which human rights did they give up?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That’s not true, she emboldened a huge portion of society. Do you remember Monty Python having to go on national tv to explain the Life of Brian wasn’t blasphemy!? Shocking times for censorship - we’ve never had it so good for creative freedom.

Life of Brian another film banned back when the UK ‘had balls’ :lolol:

i remember it having its classification changed .......not banned.....and no , she didn't .....she represented the blue rinse brigade and she was a crank.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I hadn’t thought about it like this. You’re absolutely right. Really well pointed out.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
i remember it having its classification changed .......not banned.....and no , she didn't .....she represented the blue rinse brigade and she was a crank.

Regardless of the specifics of Whitehouse, or Monty Python (it was banned in 11 local authorities), the 60s and 70s saw far more hand-wringing over censorship than we currently have. Cutting a line from Porridge or whatever doesn't suddenly make society now different than from 40 years ago. It is the classic rose tinted glasses staring back at the past.

UK Gold has to sell advertising slots before, in the middle and at the end of say a Porridge episode. This is about marketing culture more than anything else.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Who has given up their human rights? Which human rights did they give up?

when the issue of the ECHR crops up, people argue others should not have human rights not realising that means everyone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here