Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Gold censorship

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
I am interested to see what Comedy Central do with the A-Team re-runs they're going to air as Murdoch frequently refers to B.A mud-sucker.

My opinion is that shows from the past like these should carry a content warning and perhaps links where viewers can get more information.

Other than that I can't see any other way of keeping everyone happy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I am interested to see what Comedy Central do with the A-Team re-runs they're going to air as Murdoch frequently refers to B.A mud-sucker.

My opinion is that shows from the past like these should carry a content warning and perhaps links where viewers can get more information.

Other than that I can't see any other way of keeping everyone happy.

I've seen a lot of people moaning when such warnings are given out too.

Fact is some people just want to be outraged because the world is changing.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Just wait until you see what has happened to Till death do us part and In sickness and in health.

Humourless souls.

Jan 30, 2008
Watched the second ever episode of Porridge yesterday morning, it bought back amazing memories, as I watched back in October 1974 with my dear old Gran and Grandad.

Its the one where Fletch sets up a gambling version of Snakes and Ladders in the coke store with Lukewarm, Heslop and Evans, Mr Mackay gets wind of it and despatches a coal delivery down there.

The four emerge covered in soot to which Mackay utters the line "Welcome to the Black and White Minstrel Show", which ironically at the time was my Gran's favourite TV programme, 47 years ago the three of us laughed out loud.

Yesterday morning UK Gold elected to remove that line from the broadcast, whilst the scene was still funny, Fulton Mackay's line was the pay off so clearly something was missing.

But was it really that offensive in 21st century Britain?

I appreciate that times have changed but surely we just can't whitewash history and popular culture of a certain time just to appease the woke brigade?

Honestly if they left it in as they have been doing previously since UK Gold began broadcasting in 1993, how many people would actually have complained?

Whitewash :whistle:
Regards
DF

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
S02E06-jBVWz2BZ-subtitled.jpg

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
I've been re-watching The West Wing via the All4 App.. The episode I watched today edited out a scene where Charlie has an issue with a Racist Supreme Court Nominee. The whole point of the scene was to draw attention to the fact Racism is prevalent still :nono::mad:

I'd rather a warning then an edit. But I agree people just want an excuse to be annoyed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
These days, if you say you're English, you get arrested and thrown in jail!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here