Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Gold censorship

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Watched the second ever episode of Porridge yesterday morning, it bought back amazing memories, as I watched back in October 1974 with my dear old Gran and Grandad.

Its the one where Fletch sets up a gambling version of Snakes and Ladders in the coke store with Lukewarm, Heslop and Evans, Mr Mackay gets wind of it and despatches a coal delivery down there.

The four emerge covered in soot to which Mackay utters the line "Welcome to the Black and White Minstrel Show", which ironically at the time was my Gran's favourite TV programme, 47 years ago the three of us laughed out loud.

Yesterday morning UK Gold elected to remove that line from the broadcast, whilst the scene was still funny, Fulton Mackay's line was the pay off so clearly something was missing.

But was it really that offensive in 21st century Britain?

I appreciate that times have changed but surely we just can't whitewash history and popular culture of a certain time just to appease the woke brigade?

Honestly if they left it in as they have been doing previously since UK Gold began broadcasting in 1993, how many people would actually have complained?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmm...I've only got salt and vinegar Pringles, don't really like them that much.

Anyone got some Butterkist sweet popcorn? Is there going to be an intermission? I've got to pretend to work at some point...

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
The other night I was watching To The Manor Born (slow TV day), and there was a scene on a train platform. The characters were chatting with posters behind them, and one poster had been blurred out. Not sure what could have been classed as so offensive that in 2021 we couldn't see it.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Sad times indeed,anything seems to offensive to the modern day wokeflake, watched the classic Dick Emery film the other day, “Ooh you are awful .” Cut to ribbons,Auf Wiedersen pet, cut, seems no one is to have a laugh anymore.. cancel culture innit.
Glad I grew up when I did,when this country had a pair of nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Wasn’t this same ‘censorship’ issue discussed recently on the Pogues Christmas song thread ? All points on both sides are pretty familiar by now. Sorry to dig you out on a new thread again Lenny. Anyway, why are you watching Porridge ? It hasn’t been funny since about 1980 :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Watched the second ever episode of Porridge yesterday morning, it bought back amazing memories, as I watched back in October 1974 with my dear old Gran and Grandad.

Its the one where Fletch sets up a gambling version of Snakes and Ladders in the coke store with Lukewarm, Heslop and Evans, Mr Mackay gets wind of it and despatches a coal delivery down there.

The four emerge covered in soot to which Mackay utters the line "Welcome to the Black and White Minstrel Show", which ironically at the time was my Gran's favourite TV programme, 47 years ago the three of us laughed out loud.

Yesterday morning UK Gold elected to remove that line from the broadcast, whilst the scene was still funny, Fulton Mackay's line was the pay off so clearly something was missing.

I appreciate that times have changed but surely we just can't whitewash history and popular culture of a certain time just to appease the woke brigade?

Honestly if they left it in as they have been doing previously since UK Gold began broadcasting in 1993, how many people would actually have complained?

Oops ! Slip of the tongue there ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I don't wanna be obtuse, or condescending, but I am pretty sure the censors are doing exactly the opposite to whitewashing history they are correcting or removing offensive comments, even if not intended at the time.

Whitewash:
As defined by Merriam-Webster, to whitewash is "to alter ... in a way that favors, features, or caters to white people: such as ... casting a white performer in a role based on a nonwhite person or fictional character"

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I don't wanna be obtuse, or condescending, but I am pretty sure the censors are doing exactly the opposite to whitewashing history they are correcting or removing offensive comments, even if not intended at the time.

Whitewash:
As defined by Merriam-Webster, to whitewash is "to alter ... in a way that favors, features, or caters to white people: such as ... casting a white performer in a role based on a nonwhite person or fictional character"

That's a pretty recent (in this country, at least) definition of the term. It has long had a much more general meaning of "covering over past wrongs".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Nothing to do with 'woke brigade'. This is simply poor managerial judgement.

However, there are more important things to get het up about. If I started a thread on NSC every time I raised an eyebrow about something I'd never do any work. :wink:

(cool use of 'whitewash' by the way....)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Personally, I don't think that line should have been cut. There are others which aren't appropriate any more, but that seems fine to me. I love Porridge, it remains one of the finest TV programmes this country has ever produced and nothing being made today is anywhere near it on an intellectual level.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Some idiot would have done. Unfortunately, another idiot would have taken the complaint seriously!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This change was made at least 14 years ago, it's not new.

There's a whole raft of BBC editorial guidelines around this type of thing which are genuinely worth a read if anyone is actually interested in the rationale for censorship decisions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The other night I was watching To The Manor Born (slow TV day), and there was a scene on a train platform. The characters were chatting with posters behind them, and one poster had been blurred out. Not sure what could have been classed as so offensive that in 2021 we couldn't see it.

Possibly a poster advertising Intercity, fronted by Jimmy Savile.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Anyway, why are you watching Porridge ? It hasn’t been funny since about 1980 :)

I've nothing to say about the censorship issue but only a despicable nerk would say Porridge isn't still funny.

"Is this going to take long Blanco? It's just that my foot's gone to sleep and I was hoping to catch it up."
"Mind how you go."
"Christmas has been reinstated." "I know, I'm eating it."
"He joined the prison service..... He's doing very well."
"I read a book once. Green it were."
"With these feet?"
"What from 'ere?"
"I ate it."
"Only through his brother, like."

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hmm...I've only got salt and vinegar Pringles, don't really like them that much.

Anyone got some Butterkist sweet popcorn? Is there going to be an intermission? I've got to pretend to work at some point...

I’m going to alternate between this thread and a chess tournament I’m playing in online today.

Once I’ve taken a position on it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

It's the one where Fletch sets up a gambling version of Snakes and Ladders in the coke store with Lukewarm, Heslop and Evans, Mr Mackay gets wind of it and dispatches a coal delivery down there.

I don't understand why this was ironic? Was your Gran black?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here