Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Car battery charger advice

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You need to get a battery charger charger.

If that doesn't work you'll need to get a battery charger charge charger.

If that doesn't work, buy a new car.

That's all well and good, but if you have a power cut you'll need a battery, or a generator.

As luck would have it most cars have an electricity generator on board and as if by magic, they're 12 volt, perfect for charging car batteries.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The battery on the car is flat - lack of use more than anything.

So I bought one of the Halfords battery chargers for about 50 quid.

I want to charge the battery while the battery is in the car, but the battery charger
showed no LEDs or life on it to suggest it is working when I connected the red and black
clips.

Nowhere in the instructions does it say that you have to charge the charger first.
Would I need to stick the battery charger in the mains for a while TO charge it up before
I could try again on the car? (Seems like an obvious thing.)

Any advice welcome. Thanks very much...

:bhasign:

Is it one of those " Charger pack " things ? I had one of them and the maintenance is quite excessive, went to use mine after a year and found it did not work any more, then found out I should charge it every 3 months even if I haven't used it or it packs up !

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
That's all well and good, but if you have a power cut you'll need a battery, or a generator.

As luck would have it most cars have an electricity generator on board and as if by magic, they're 12 volt, perfect for charging car batteries.

Actually, that's a point. My car has a 240v socket in it, so I could plug that into my house to charge up the mains, and then use that to charge the battery.

I'm alright Jack. :thumbsup:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Is it one of those " Charger pack " things ? I had one of them and the maintenance is quite excessive, went to use mine after a year and found it did not work any more, then found out I should charge it every 3 months even if I haven't used it or it packs up !

Yes indeed Vegster.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Actually, that's a point. My car has a 240v socket in it, so I could plug that into my house to charge up the mains, and then use that to charge the battery.

I'm alright Jack. :thumbsup:

Until the global sea level rise gets you.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Same thing happened to me. [emoji24]

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Until the global sea level rise gets you.

Waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy ahead of you...

giphy.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here