Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] It’s a sin

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
watched first three.. v good, as expected. watched a scandi equivalent a couple of years ago - all very brown and green compared to this glossy affair... certainly has elements of the intial nonchalance and then fear of our current predicament. think olly alexander is superb. was a teenager back in the day and possibly closeted from the impact, but do recall the adverts...

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Does have a bit of a similar feel of what we’re currently going through. Loving the sound track.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It really resonates with me: they moved to London at pretty much the same time that I did and, while I'm not gay, I had several gay friends and spent a lot of time in gay clubs and bars. I thought the programme was great but I am fearful of what's going to happen to them all

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Loved the way C4 brought back all their old logo's and clock ticker to get the scene

Excellent first episode...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Best series this year and will remain so I’m sure.

Outstanding television.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Quality drama, well worth watching.

Evokes an era brilliantly, covers some big issues powerfully and features an ensemble of well-developed characters.

The storylines in the final episode, with the main character’s mother (Keeley Hawes) and old school friend are both particularly shocking and moving.

My only minor quibble was that everyone’s life stage seemed permanently the same, even though it’s meant to cover a 7/8 year timespan. They all just live in the same flat, the Jill character never seems to want any kind of relationship of her own, even the guy’s sister - who is probably meant to be 16/17 at the beginning- is apparently still just living at home with Mum and Dad 8 years later. I guess it was in some ways necessary for the overall narrative, but other than the captioned dates, it felt vague as to whether this was weeks, months or years, let alone almost a decade, and that felt odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I thought the whole series was brilliant and the final episode was, I thought, extremely sad and upsetting.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I started watching this as it seemed a bit of a laugh, loved the music and lived through it although in a strictly straight parallel universe.
I have to say that after watching it, I feel embarrassed that I never really understood what was going on but in retrospect consider myself so lucky not to have got this vile disease.
This has opened my eyes even though they were shut for so many years. I wish I had been more active and supportive.
Not many programs that have that fever but this was one.
Amazing, Satan’s beautiful.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
One of the best TV series I have seen in years.

It brought back just about all of the hatred, spite and prejudice (it also made you realise - with hindsight - just how meaningful Diana's handshake with an AIDS patient was) that The Sun and Thatcher and the Establishment could offer, while also offering up a message of happiness and love.

Every character, even when lapsing into caricature, was well written and performed. The story was funny, sad, thoughtful, belligerent and painful. And utterly brilliant.

Biggest shout out to Keeley Hawes and Lydia West in... well, I won't spoil it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It brought back just about all of the hatred, spite and prejudice (it also made you realise - with hindsight - just how meaningful Diana's handshake with an AIDS patient was) that The Sun and Thatcher and the Establishment could offer, while also offering up a message of happiness and love.

The other side of that was the genuine fear of catching it through casual contact; in the mid 80's I was working predominantly in the Kemptown area going into people's homes fixing their phones. We had genuine questions like could you catch it from a telephone handset ? Did you need to wear mask/gloves when working in a home where people were HIV+ ? Should you have your tools destroyed and re-issued (this was actually policy for a while if you worked in a house where a resident was on dialysis) ? Was it safe to accept a cuppa ?
Sounds daft/naive now but at the time the news was full of scaremongering about the "gay plague" but few facts.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I watched this over the course of 5 nights, and I was am 18 year old gay guy (closeted) in the RAF during the start of the AIDS Pandemic. This series was a powerful reminder of the hatred and abuse that was prevalent at the time, and unfortunatly still is in some quarters)

There were several scenes that resonated with me , that last conversation between Jill and Ritchie's mother was heart breaking and so true for so many. The funeral scene where the deceased partner was simply brushed aside and told to basically be invisible to avoid upsetting the "proper family" was another scene that was played out countless times.

The one though that was so true for so many of us was the simple denial by Ritchie's mother to accept her son was gay. The scene with the other mother confronting her saying "how could you NOT know, he is your son" was a conversation I wished I could have had with my mother, How can you NOT know, how can you be so cruel to your own son, how can you do this to me! Totally heart wrenching and simply one of the best bits of television I have ever seen.

This show harks back to the early days of Chanel 4. It does what no other station in the world does or did- it hold up a mirror to all of us and says look- and we are ALL found wanting

Powerful stuff and should be compulsory viewing !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here