Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2021

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just giving the below post a little bump. It's going to be on at the Komedia on Tuesday 20th July as part of their Discover series. Hopefully not long until a wider release, but if you can make it, I'd certainly recommend you go.

One of my favourite actors for a while now. Superb in The Hunt. And looking forward to seeing Another Round later tonight.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I also saw Black Widow. I don't follow superhero films so got a bit lost with some of the references but a perfectly serviceable if rather unoriginal action flick. I liked the Red Guardian character.

4/10

As an aside Red Guardian sounds like the villain in a GB News commissioned superhero series

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Popped along to see Escape Room 2: Tournament of Champions. It just felt so pointless. It isn't particularly bad for the type of movie it is, but it's just felt so unnecessary.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I made a mistake i shan't soon recover from. I went to see Nowhere Special. I probably should have known, and i recall thinking when my finger hovered over the purchase button at around 5.30 that this wasn't for me, but i am here without company in our capital city, and what better a time to see some films. James Norton was brilliant as the dying dad, and the wee fella playing Michael, being ushered around prospective new parents, was painfully cute and shy as he slightly realises what's to come. My little almost 4 year old lad is over in Spain with his mama at the minute, and the thoughts of being in that situation were too agonising to bear. It is based on a true story, it says at the end, and well done for writing and making it, but please don't put me through that again (i say to the filmmaker and myself).

T'other evening, though, i went to see Martin Eden. The MubiGO deal, if you're into the non-mainstream and live near enough a cinema that'll show what they have, is excellent. £15pm for a free film at the cinema per week. I'll use it again tomorrow, i reckon, for the aged love and remorse tale of Two of Us, but Martin Eden was a good Italian film with an excellent performance by the fellow playing the eponymous lead. He was an actor who looked so different in each camera angle, his nose a variety of shapes and his eyes of differing intensity. The film itself follows him from being a roaming seaman, returning to the povertous fieriness of Naples, into love and art as he's tampered with by a yearning for a change in class. It was sometimes beautiful to watch, and richly emotional.

Now that i remember, i went to see Another Round too. Mads Mikkelsen is such a good actor, and Thomas Vinterberg a director who can muddle you with emotion. The 2 of them were excellent with the Hunt, and in this it's playful and amusing, but constantly carrying out pointilism on you with a layer of sorrow. Alcohol is the villain, along with midlife crises of men, but both are unavoidable parts of life, it seems, with certain scenes toying with the need for the former, and the possible goodness of it. The performances of the men as drunks were superb, and the final little part was an incredible watch, just following a maelstrom of rights and wrongs but i felt a bit wounded and worn pondering. I liked it. Good film.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Saw Black Widow.

Nobody got their neck snapped by Ms Johansson's inner thigh.

1/10.

Dunno what was wrong with it/me/the trailers beforehand but I just couldn't be doing with this injury free green screen awful film.
These were new feelings for me as with teenage kids I've definitely been there done that, but this was the first time I've really been bored by it all.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
it isn't often in film that you get the feeling that 2 characters are just in love and that that is what feeds and satisfies them. You might sometimes see them fall in love, and the feeling at the end is that they have finally realised that everything led to this and will stay as this. I wonder, with the film i saw, Two Of Us, that the love felt and kept was sustained as pure and vibrant thanks to the secrecy of it, but that's not the point. The 2 elderly ladies, Mado and Nina, have created a little bubble of life for themselves as neighbours and partners, but it seems to be one that protects Mado, and her family, from knowing the truth of their love's decades-long existence.
The suspense in this film comes from the fact that Mado's health takes a turn for the worse, and her family rightly look to care for her. Nina, in the adjacent flat, has to find a way in, to be there, to love her, without the family knowing she is more than the caring neighbour. The weight of deceit hangs over them, and us as viewers, and we're desperate for everyone to move on, to settle, to have these two as lovers without shame.
I quite liked it. Their closeness felt true and their break in togetherness felt an unfair curse. The acting was good and how the tale was mapped out kept me anxious and tense and hopeful.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Our Ladies
I booked to see this because I was aware of a stage musical called our ladies of the perpetual succour, and believed that this was a film version of that (it is the same story). It features Marli Sui among the cast and I know her from the romantic zombie coming of age christmas musical Anna and the Apocalypse. It wasn't a musical per se. Both the stage musical and the film are based on a book called 'The Sopranos'. It's about a group of girls from a catholic school in a poor area of scotland in 1996 who go on a trip to Edinburgh for a choir competition. While in Edinburgh these five friends leave the group to have a fun day of drinking and hopefully sex, while dealing with the impending end of their time at the school and growing up etc. There were a couple of choir performances, a karaoke scene, and a random scene toward the end where they're all in different locations with someone playing a cello in one location, while someone in another location sings along, but it wasn't a musical. I still really enjoyed it. It did take me a little while to get into it, but I thought the story went in directions I wasn't expecting. I've seen some people talk about it as if they were expecting a comedy, it isn't that, it is more a standard coming of age drama with some humorous moments, so don't expect a laigh riot, but I found it very enjoyable.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That MubiGo thing sounds good, they seem to make it very hard to find what cinemas do it unless you subscribe

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Another Round - superb.

Pig- Well, what can I say? I’m not going to tell anything about it but just urge you to watch it. Cage downplays superbly, his finest performance for years. It’s going straight in as my film of the year so far. I do t think I’m overselling it when I say that. It’s remarkable.
Who has my pig?

These two are my films of the year so far. Both very strong.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1i-_CRKdh4Y

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching Riders of Justice, cracking film.
The casting is spot on, the balance of dark comedy and just plain darkness is brilliant (the dark, serious persona of Mikklesen's character is so well offset against the hilarious language used by Emmenthaler).
The story is very flimsy but you don't even notice because every character plays their part so well.
9/10.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
That MubiGo thing sounds good, they seem to make it very hard to find what cinemas do it unless you subscribe

My options today, which I will choose from, are Curzon and Vue cinemas. And usually I have my local arthouse cinema too.
The film is The World to Come.

It's good to use in London certainly

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Just finished watching Riders of Justice, cracking film.
The casting is spot on, the balance of dark comedy and just plain darkness is brilliant (the dark, serious persona of Mikklesen's character is so well offset against the hilarious language used by Emmenthaler).
The story is very flimsy but you don't even notice because every character plays their part so well.
9/10.

Couldn't find it showing anywhere so downloaded a perfect copy on uloz. Didn't know anything about it and took us a while to realise it was a dark comedy. Also, I'm sure there are many jokes we missed due to nuances of language and culture. It's a cracking premise I thought and well told and brilliantly acted. Mikklesen just a vehicle and unrecognisable physically, the other characters were the stars of the show.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Enjoyed Shyamalan's Old at the Odeon this weekend. Didn't expect much and it exceeded expectations in a B movie type way. Found it an odd mix of Twilight Zone and an episode of 1960s Star Trek, with the acting somewhat comparable. However, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
So i waddled to the Curzon Soho, my first trip into the city centre and the crowds that filled it, many rightly scurrying for shelter as the first of today's storms erupted shortly after the film's end. I was glad, though, that in a cinema of perhaps a 100 seats, only 9 or so were occupied. And i suppose the film itself, The World to Come, doesn't entice with tone or the ardour of chilling daily life told. Tis a time of frontiers-people trapped in unromantic toil on frozen lands, more for survival than dream. The couple we see, and know of the diary the wife poetically keeps, have suffered tragedy, shoving them into atheism and a busyness that moderately quells depression and disinterest. But a new couple arrive in the district, and with that comes a passion and desire that the period, and governed attachment to their husbands, won't allow.
It didn't stride through the months of their interaction, the misery of their existence told in a pained honesty, and it didn't have the reserved angst that can squeeze a heart unendingly, but it was quite telling and bruisingly ruthless, and the scenery, and love, was starkly beautiful. Not bad.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Enjoyed Shyamalan's Old at the Odeon this weekend. Didn't expect much and it exceeded expectations in a B movie type way. Found it an odd mix of Twilight Zone and an episode of 1960s Star Trek, with the acting somewhat comparable. However, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I havnt been back to a cinema since Feb last year…how are you finding the experience (separate to the actual film)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
THE Suicide Squad
Really good film. I was a little concerned it might feel like DC's Guardians of the Galaxy part 3, what with being a James Gunn comic book film based on a group of outsiders coming together on a mission, but it felt like its own thing. It felt like it went in directions I wasn't expecting which is good, but I don't want to say too much and spoil it for others, but will say you don't need to have seen David Ayer's studio-corrupted version, it's barely linked (other than a few reappearances; Viola Davis as Amanda Waller, Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flagg, Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, and Jai Courtney as Boomerang). To be honest, if you've not seen the David Ayer version you should not go out of your way to watch. Hell, if it stumbles across your path, turn you back and plug your ears. It's really not good. But this new version written and directed by James Gunn is really good. Definite recommendation.

Summer of Soul - EXTRAORDINARY

https://youtu.be/slFiJpAxZyQ

Now available on Disney+, am currently watching it while I type this.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just got back from watching Old. When the film finished, I had a chat with the people in front and behind us and we all agreed it was a total pile of shit. The acting is atrocious, it just seemed like a total mess of a film, chaos, no real direction and overall ended up being a very pointless story. For what was supposed to be a thriller/mystery/horror, the whole cinema was laughing at the special effects (the cliff climbing was particularly 70's TV show)
Shyamalan is massively overrated imo, other than Split I find his films to be very average but for some reason people gush over them. Signs, The Village, The Visit, The Happening, and the particularly poor offering that is After Earth.
Me, the Mrs and Stepdaughter all gave this 3/10. Should've watched The Suicide Squad.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Went down the flicks this arvo to watch Limbo, and laughed quite a lot at the beginning, with the refugees on this wee Scottish isle being given an enactment of how not to disrespect women on dance floors, performed by the ever lovely Sidse Babbet Knudsen, and the refugees, all male, looking agog and semi-horrified at this silly scenario. It sets a tone for the partially absurd to follow, that is added to by a mesmerising set of visuals of this island that chill and bewitch and an increasing sorrow in this barren, racism-tainted prison. Some of it reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite in its dry-deadpabbery, whilst others Coen Brothers-esque with its hellish silliness. You get the sense, for the few that survive whilst waiting for their Home Office letter to say whether they've been offered asylum, that as time passes they just want away from island and all it stands for, in any direction.
I liked it. Some of it was darkly beautiful to behold, whilst the comedy moments, more toward the beginning than end, were well performed. But the acting and the searing message are what linger. I don't think it all mixed perfectly and at the right time, but it was good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here