Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2021

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I went to see A Quiet Place Part II, I really enjoyed the first one and am never particularly optimistic about sequals.

I really enjoyed it though, as good as the first one.

A couple sat right behind me talked all the way through though . . . not the film to do this at.

7/10 - mainly because they made sure they walked on the sand when it would have been quieter to walk on the grass verges next to the path.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watched Psycho Goreman on Shudder (you can subscribe to them direct, or as a channel via amazon prime).

https://youtu.be/L4tizc0IAVQ

I've been looking forward to this since seeing the trailer last year. It didn't disappoint.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched Cruella tonight with the Mrs. Actually way better than I thought it would be. The casting was spot on, Emma Stone is an excellent Cruella. Quite grown up for a Disney flick but some nice nods to the original, somewhat dark in places and some decent humour. Set up nicely for a sequel.

Watched Unholy the other night. Please don't follow in my footsteps. Straight in to my top 10 worst films of all time. Shocking special effects, every horror cliché you could possibly think of and awful acting. Nothing good about this film at all.

Been trying to sell Kung Pow to the Mrs. Very clever film, stupid but enjoyable

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Short while ago got back from seeing the late morning IMAX screening of A Quiet Place Part II, in Crawley.

I won't spoil anything...all I will suggest is that it is better than the first, and handily fills in some gaps in the storyline by going back to day 1, to show how it all started.

Top notch thrills and exactly the follow-up the first part needed. If you liked the first one, you'll have a great time with the second.

Oh, and there are plenty of extremely quiet bits so if you have to munch whilst watching it, go for something like soft rolls, candy floss, or if popcorn it should be sucked. Your fellow film attendees will appreciate it! :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wrath Of Man

Violent heist/revenge thriller from Guy Ritchie. Jason Statham plays the role of a security truck driver.....with a past.

I really enjoyed this. It’s very by the numbers but a very well made action thriller. Guy Ritchie has done a good job here and Statham plays the silent but deadly role very well indeed.

6/10

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just watched "Land'.

Nice concept, could have been so much better. Longer and deeper character development would have been nice.

Leave No Trace, Wild, Nomadland all in one.

Ok.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching Spiral: from the book of Saw.
What a pile of shit. Awful, awful acting from everyone other than Samuel L Jackson. This should've been a straight to TV movie. 2/10.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Forgot to cover my cinema visits, partly because the first one back was Godzilla v Kong, which I'd already seen on premium vod, and talked about before.

I've also seen Mortal Kombat which was better than I was expecting. It leaned into the violence that the game is famous for, it had a lot of fighting, but there was some bad editing and I'm not sure there was a proper tournament.

Spiral. The killer was obvious, the film felt overly long, chris rock is not a great actor.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A Quiet Place part II
I thought this was trying too hard. It seemed like they would have a tense moment, but didn't trust that it was enough so would try to add another layer of tension with something else going wrong/some other layer of peril and it felt silly. It also seemed to rely a little heavily on the two or three different scenes happening at the same time, playing out in similar/comparative ways so we can swap between them like they are the same thing, I feel like it would have been better if they trusted the story more. But my friend really enjoyed it, so maybe that was just me being in the wrong mood.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
^ I still find it unfathomable that they made a sequel to the dreadful first film (both penned by Krasinski I believe). I could put together and teach a three year undergraduate degree, plus a masters on top, on how utterly pointless and shite the first film was. The audacity to make a sequel is beyond unfathomable, and the hype and spin around it, omfg!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
^ I still find it unfathomable that they made a sequel to the dreadful first film (both penned by Krasinski I believe). I could put together and teach a three year undergraduate degree, plus a masters on top, on how utterly pointless and shite the first film was. The audacity to make a sequel is beyond unfathomable, and the hype and spin around it, omfg!

Bryan Woods and Scott Beck wrote the original, when Krasinski came in as director he worked with them to craft the final draft. Woods and Beck didn't return for part 2 (they get writing credits for creating the characters), Krasinski is the only credited screenplay writer for part 2.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In the Heights
There's a bit of hype around this as it is from the writer of Hamilton. It's also aided by West Side Story in that this musical film about a latin american immigrant community in New York, filmed at the same time as, and is released in the same awards cycle as Steven Spielberg's remake of West Side Story, so of course the media are making it into a bit of a competition. Officially released next week, I went to tonight's cineworld unlimited screening to watch it, because I do like musicals, and am a fan of Hamilton.

I really enjoyed it. Not as much as Hamilton or some of my other favourites, but still a top watch. A few nods to Hamilton (Lin Manuel Miranda the composer of both, and originator of the main roles of both on Broadway, plays a side character, the main star anthony ramos was in hamilton, as well as a couple of other nods I won't spoil. I was also unreasonably happy to see Patrick Page in a small role (he plays Hades in the stage show Hadestown which I love as much as, possibly more than, Hamilton). For Brooklyn 99 fans, Stephanie Beatriz has a supporting role. Jimmy Smits was surprisingly good (though at this point I'm not sure it should be a surprise, he's usually good).

There's a little post-credits scene that I really enjoyed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

96% critics and 83% viewers scores on Rotten Tomatoes, and grossed $68m in the US, so you are definitely in the minority.

I liked it. It brought something different to the alien invasion story, and generated some genuine tension I thought.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I went to see Dream Horse yesterday and I absolutely loved it.

It won't win awards from the high brow elite as it is far too good for that.

Emotional story about a small syndicate of unlikely characters in a small Welsh town breeding a horse and going racing.

If you love sport, you'll get it. Sport gives such emotion that those who don't get it miss out on.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
FWIW this week saw A Quiet Place II for the second time (one of my sons missed out when I went first time, and so took him to see it) and enjoyed it just as much. It's a film that has to be seen in the context of what sort of film it is... not a chin-stroking, intellectual, moving story, but a bit of light fun and thrill.

Similar really to Nobody, which I saw yesterday. In a similar vein to the John Wick franchise, if even a little messier violence-wise, it was a fun if not worldbeating movie that I'm sure will be seen for the entertaining nonsense it is. I believe Mark Kermode (who can be difficult to please at times) really, really enjoyed it. There's not going to be many films with a family unit made up of Bob Odenkirk, Christopher Lloyd (he of BTTF!) and RZA! :lolol:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I went to see Dream Horse yesterday and I absolutely loved it.

It won't win awards from the high brow elite as it is far too good for that.

Emotional story about a small syndicate of unlikely characters in a small Welsh town breeding a horse and going racing.

If you love sport, you'll get it. Sport gives such emotion that those who don't get it miss out on.

With the cricket looking unlikely, this will be this evening's viewing of choice with a glass of France's finest.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching the latest Liam Neeson film, The Ice Road. CGI borrowed straight from the sharknado franchise and acting to match. Started off ok, but we could tell this was going to be laughable very early on. Stupid story, a mixture of OTT and wooden acting, pedestrian fight scenes, physics defying logic and all-round pointlessness (it's a word, right?) 2/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here