Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2021

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Took a deep breath and watched 4 hours worth of Zack Snyder's Justice League tonight and.....bloody enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it flew by, but I was never bored. Plenty of genuinely excellent set pieces, a great score and pretty much every scene is simply gorgeous to look at. I mean seriously gorgeous, its beautifully shot. I must admit to being a sucker for a dramatically-inserted super slo-mo (BIG fan of 300), of which there are copious amounts in this, so if that type of thing gets on your nerves then maybe this ain't for you. But there's plenty else to enjoy.

Some of it is a bit clunky, and the 4:3 aspect ratio in which its presented was certainly a shock to the system, but you soon get used to it (do not adjust your set folks, that's how it was filmed). But from low expectations I found myself pleasingly entertained with this, and am looking forward to seeing what they do with the next instalment.

81%.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
one of the Sunday night poker folks flagged up 'Molly's Game' on Netflix ... not a 2021 film, but new to me ... solid movie, worth a watch.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've been continuing my Oscar nominee watching...

The Father
The story of a man who suffers from dementia, played by Anthony Hopkins. Usually these stories involve the audience seeing things as they are and relying on the person with dementia telling us they're confused. This takes a different approach, showing us how the dementia sufferer views things. We see different people play his daughter to get across how it there are times you don't recognise people, there are time jumps, and changes to the set that just occur. It works quite well, I though, aided by a good cast supporting Hopkins; Olivia Colman, Olivia Williams, Imogen Poots, Mark Gatiss, and Rufus Sewell.

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
I'm not generally a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen and his comedy, but there were a few moments that made me laugh.

A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
Eh. It was cute.

Minari
I had high hopes because there's a lot of praise for this film, and some controversy (the golden globes had it as a nominee for best foreign language film, even though it was an american film, written and made by americans, set in america, with a mixture of american english and korean). A young Korean-American family in the 1980s relocate from California to Arkansas to start their own farm. I expected a story of racial struggles in rural america, but it was more about the family struggles (the starting the farm is the father's dream and the others are forced to follow, so when it doesn't take off it causes tensions). It is quite low key, and I don't know if I enjoyed it as much as some of the critics seem to have.

And in non-oscar watching:

Coherence
Patton Oswalt mentioned this on the twitter machine, and was quite complementary about it. I saw it was available on prime so gave it a go. I really enjoyed it. It's a low budget film, shot over a few days. Is about a group of people who come together to have a meal when there is a comet sailing overhead which causes phenomena. There is a power outage except for one house down the block. When they go to the house in the hope of finding a phone to use, they discover that house is their own... Bit of a mindbender, but quite good.

Godzilla vs Kong
We had Gareth Edwards' really good Godzilla, then we had Jordan Vogt-Roberts' Kong Skull Island which was still fun. After a diversion of Michael Dougherty's Godzilla king of the Monsters, the big two now they face off. A lot of reviews seem to be of the sort that you would expect for this type of movie - the monsters fighting is fun, but the human storylines are a bit of a drag. Which is quite accurate. It' not going to change the world, but it was fun.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I've been continuing my Oscar nominee watching...

The Father
The story of a man who suffers from dementia, played by Anthony Hopkins. Usually these stories involve the audience seeing things as they are and relying on the person with dementia telling us they're confused. This takes a different approach, showing us how the dementia sufferer views things. We see different people play his daughter to get across how it there are times you don't recognise people, there are time jumps, and changes to the set that just occur. It works quite well, I though, aided by a good cast supporting Hopkins; Olivia Colman, Olivia Williams, Imogen Poots, Mark Gatiss, and Rufus Sewell.

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
I'm not generally a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen and his comedy, but there were a few moments that made me laugh.

A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
Eh. It was cute.

Minari
I had high hopes because there's a lot of praise for this film, and some controversy (the golden globes had it as a nominee for best foreign language film, even though it was an american film, written and made by americans, set in america, with a mixture of american english and korean). A young Korean-American family in the 1980s relocate from California to Arkansas to start their own farm. I expected a story of racial struggles in rural america, but it was more about the family struggles (the starting the farm is the father's dream and the others are forced to follow, so when it doesn't take off it causes tensions). It is quite low key, and I don't know if I enjoyed it as much as some of the critics seem to have.

And in non-oscar watching:

Coherence
Patton Oswalt mentioned this on the twitter machine, and was quite complementary about it. I saw it was available on prime so gave it a go. I really enjoyed it. It's a low budget film, shot over a few days. Is about a group of people who come together to have a meal when there is a comet sailing overhead which causes phenomena. There is a power outage except for one house down the block. When they go to the house in the hope of finding a phone to use, they discover that house is their own... Bit of a mindbender, but quite good.

Godzilla vs Kong
We had Gareth Edwards' really good Godzilla, then we had Jordan Vogt-Roberts' Kong Skull Island which was still fun. After a diversion of Michael Dougherty's Godzilla king of the Monsters, the big two now they face off. A lot of reviews seem to be of the sort that you would expect for this type of movie - the monsters fighting is fun, but the human storylines are a bit of a drag. Which is quite accurate. It' not going to change the world, but it was fun.

I watched Coherence a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. If you like films like this then give Triangle a go, very well thought out and one of those films that keep you thinking even after it's finished.

Also watched Kong Vs Godzilla the other night. The monster scenes had a great nostalgic feel to them, almost like a man in a Godzilla costume and a man in an ape costume smashing up a polystyrene city. Quite cheesy but that's what these films should be.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watched Coherence a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. If you like films like this then give Triangle a go, very well thought out and one of those films that keep you thinking even after it's finished.

Also watched Kong Vs Godzilla the other night. The monster scenes had a great nostalgic feel to them, almost like a man in a Godzilla costume and a man in an ape costume smashing up a polystyrene city. Quite cheesy but that's what these films should be.

I liked Kong popping his dislocated shoulder back into place. Apparently a lot of other lethal weapon 2 references got cut.

I have Triangle in my watch list. I never bothered with it before because I usually find Melissa George annoying, or at least did when we were both younger. But I have heard good things about the film in some recent podcasts so planned on giving it a go. I almost watched it tonight, but went with 'Mayhem' instead (fun violent film about a man navigating his way to the top of a locked down building to claim his job back while a virus is spreading that removes everyone's inhibitions leading to murderous chaos). I also have Primer in my list. I saw it years ago, but need to rewatch it (a group of guys create a time machine in their basement or their storage space), it's similarly low budget high concept confusion.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I liked Kong popping his dislocated shoulder back into place. Apparently a lot of other lethal weapon 2 references got cut.

I have Triangle in my watch list. I never bothered with it before because I usually find Melissa George annoying, or at least did when we were both younger. But I have heard good things about the film in some recent podcasts so planned on giving it a go. I almost watched it tonight, but went with 'Mayhem' instead (fun violent film about a man navigating his way to the top of a locked down building to claim his job back while a virus is spreading that removes everyone's inhibitions leading to murderous chaos). I also have Primer in my list. I saw it years ago, but need to rewatch it (a group of guys create a time machine in their basement or their storage space), it's similarly low budget high concept confusion.

Ignore the fact it's Melissa George, she's actually alright in it. Let me know what your take on the film is after you've watched it. I have my own theory about it, it's something you will miss first time around so I won't give away any spoilers.
Mayhem sounds a little like The Raid, which I believe is what they based Dredd on. Police officer making his way up a tower block, fighting every floor to reach the kingpin at the top. Amazing fight scenes if you haven't seen it.
I've only watched Primer once, years ago, and I don't remember much about it so it's one I need to revisit for sure.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Saw The Mauritanian yesterday. Despite my dislike of Jodie Foster I thought it was very good indeed.
6/10

Godzilla Vs Kong
I’d like to kiss Rebecca Hall

1/10

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Triangle is excellent by the underrated Christopher Smith. He also made Creep, Severance and Black Death all very good horrors. The Banishing by him is out soon as well

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thanks folks - coherence and triangle now on my list, added to Father. Should be able to get them on Netflix or Prime, yes?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thanks folks - coherence and triangle now on my list, added to Father. Should be able to get them on Netflix or Prime, yes?

Coherence and Triangle are on Prime.

The Father I watched via the Borderlines online Film Festival, it was only available for a few days. I think it is officially released 11th June, so will likely be in cinemas since it has some oscar noms.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ignore the fact it's Melissa George, she's actually alright in it. Let me know what your take on the film is after you've watched it. I have my own theory about it, it's something you will miss first time around so I won't give away any spoilers.

I watched it this evening. I wasn't blown away. I think just going in knowing it was a loopy type of film meant I was probably ahead of where it needs you to be to fully enjoy.

Mayhem sounds a little like The Raid, which I believe is what they based Dredd on. Police officer making his way up a tower block, fighting every floor to reach the kingpin at the top. Amazing fight scenes if you haven't seen it.

It's not quite as serious or martial arts-y as The Raid, or as dark and moody as Dredd. It's more inline with the Belko Experiment or Office Uprising.

https://youtu.be/D-iwm_auOCQ

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I watched it this evening. I wasn't blown away. I think just going in knowing it was a loopy type of film meant I was probably ahead of where it needs you to be to fully enjoy.

It's not quite as serious or martial arts-y as The Raid, or as dark and moody as Dredd. It's more inline with the Belko Experiment or Office Uprising.

https://youtu.be/D-iwm_auOCQ

I know what you mean with Triangle. I had no idea what to expect when I watched it so probably enjoyed it more.
Mayhem looks like stupid fun, I'll give it a go.
Not sure if you're a gamer at all, but Ghost of Tsushima has just been given the go ahead with the director of the John Wick films. If it's anything like the game it will be amazing. One to keep an eye on.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Triangle ffs! :lolol: Possibly one of the worst films ever made, an absolute low-budget turkey on all levels, from the ridiculous CGI to the appalling acting that stunk out the entire mysterious ocean liner. The best of Melissa George’s underwhelming back catalogue is probably A Lonely Place to Die, and even that is a B-lister at best.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Nomadland is terrific.

An Oscar winner for sure, and how lucky we are to enjoy the work of the magnificent Frances McDormand.

Whether it be Fargo, Three Billboards or this. She's great.

Lovely film, in a time where retrospection is prevalent after a difficult period.

It's all relative you know.....

Did well last evening at the BAFTAS, and deservedly so. :clap2:

Nomadland.JPG

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sound of Metal criminally overlooked.
I saw it last year and it is a stunning picture. Best film I’ve seen for a long, long time.

Chaos Walking. Saw this the other day. A Western set on a distant planet colonised by humans in a couple of thousand years. Something in the planet’s atmosphere renders all men’s thoughts and dreams audible and vaguely visible at times. Which is at times annoying, at times baffling and generally needless and distracting.
Their planet has become a strange mix of frontier towns, some more welcoming than others.
It’s near a hostile settlement that the cardboard Daisy Ridley crash lands. Her acting is as one-dimensional as her first scenes in Star Wars and she fails to make a convincing leading lady.
Tom Holland rescues her and attempts to lead her to the safety of a nearby friendly settlement pursued by Mads Mickelson’s under developed Mayor character. We are told the settlement is a long, long ride away and will take ages. Oddly, this odyssey takes up about six minutes of the film before the film descends into a borderless mess.
There’s a very out of place encounter with the planet’s indigenous inhabitants, the bizarrely named The Spackles. They are part of the storyline but are very strangely written into the narrative. Shit CGI too.

I believe this went through a lot of script, cast and directorial changes and production was halted several times for Covid and it’s a mess because of it. It is an interesting idea and could have worked in the right hands. But it doesn’t. Avoid.

2/10

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sound of Metal criminally overlooked.
I saw it last year and it is a stunning picture. Best film I’ve seen for a long, long time.

That has come to Prime this morning, so I intend to watch at some point this week. Though it's got Oscar nominations for acting, writing and is one of the best film nominees, so I'm not sure it can be considered 'criminally overlooked'. Especially with cinemas closed and its coming to Prime today being the first time a lot of us have the chance to watch it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here