Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2021

Do you need to already know about the world of Dune? All I know is there are some humunguous worm thingies...

I've never read a book or seen a film related to Dune and was able to follow along quite happily. Quite enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing the next one which I hadnt realised there would be until I got to see the film such was my lack of context here :lolol::lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Had a double bill of Venom: Let There Be Caranage which I found to be fun, albeit unsubstantial. And Dune, which I felt I will enjoy more if/when they complete the story.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching Army of Thieves, it's the prequel to Army of The Dead. Absolutely loved it.
The story is about four safes created by a master safe designer, each one increasingly more difficult to crack than the previous one and each one is comes with its own legend and Norse mythology back story.
Everyone plays their part really well, the comedy that is dropped into the tense scenes works well and it definitely has that Zack Snyder feel about it.
Having watched Army of The Dead first, I'd recommend watching this first if you haven't seen either otherwise you'll kind of know the ending to this one.
An evening well spent, I feel.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Last Night In Soho tomorrow. I’ll let you all know if it’s any good

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Watched Dune today at an iMax. Blew me away. What an amazing piece of film making. Stunning. I hadn’t read the book or seen the old film and followed fine. Can’t wait for part 2.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Had a double bill of Venom: Let There Be Caranage which I found to be fun, albeit unsubstantial.
Saw it today and totally agree. We rewatched the first one last night and I certainly felt the second one better. For those yet to see it, part way through the end titles is an extra scene which has apparently caused some kerfuffle due to a link to another film....

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Eternals (directed by oscar winning former Brighton resident Chloe Zhao)
The latest MCU movie hit cinemas today so I went to see it. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Its links to other films were faint, if at all existing (they acknowledge that 'the snap' occurred, there are some bracelets that may or may not be a reference to Shang Chi, but that's about it) , which isn't in and of itself bad (a lot of the earlier films mostly stood alone, only starting to link up later in the overarching story) but having been conditioned by most of the more recent films (and tv shows) does feel a little unsatisfying. Not even one of the two end credits sequence contained a strong reference or character from the other films). None of that would be an issue, though, if it had the fun or spectacle of something like guardians of the galaxy. A film itself that was largely set away from the main action we'd seen in previous films (though did include an infinity stone) to allow time and space to introduce new characters.

The deviants (the punching bags for our heroes this time) were a pretty cool design, reminded me of the host (the korean monster movie) but a little smaller and more colourful. Some of the 'magic' was pretty, but the powers were not all that spectacular. There was a lot more talking than you usually get in these types of movies. It's over 2.5 hours and felt it. It was very much a film written by an oscar winning director who doesn't have a history of spectacular action movies, who prefers character stuff. When done well, that character stuff can be interesting, fun, satisfying, but I'm not sure it hit that balance for me. I don't know if it was the actors, the writing, or my expectations being wrong. At several points I expected something more clever than what was delivered. Some aspects were predictable. With multiple languages (including sign language) and an opening scrawl setting up the story, there was a lot more reading involved than you usually get in marvel movies.

Having said that, I didn't really feel like anything was particularly bad, nothing offended my sensibilities so I find it hard to be particularly critical about it, just something stopped me embracing it as much as previous MCU entries.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Eternals (directed by oscar winning former Brighton resident Chloe Zhao)
The latest MCU movie hit cinemas today so I went to see it. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Its links to other films were faint, if at all existing (they acknowledge that 'the snap' occurred, there are some bracelets that may or may not be a reference to Shang Chi, but that's about it) , which isn't in and of itself bad (a lot of the earlier films mostly stood alone, only starting to link up later in the overarching story) but having been conditioned by most of the more recent films (and tv shows) does feel a little unsatisfying. Not even one of the two end credits sequence contained a strong reference or character from the other films). None of that would be an issue, though, if it had the fun or spectacle of something like guardians of the galaxy. A film itself that was largely set away from the main action we'd seen in previous films (though did include an infinity stone) to allow time and space to introduce new characters.

The deviants (the punching bags for our heroes this time) were a pretty cool design, reminded me of the host (the korean monster movie) but a little smaller and more colourful. Some of the 'magic' was pretty, but the powers were not all that spectacular. There was a lot more talking than you usually get in these types of movies. It's over 2.5 hours and felt it. It was very much a film written by an oscar winning director who doesn't have a history of spectacular action movies, who prefers character stuff. When done well, that character stuff can be interesting, fun, satisfying, but I'm not sure it hit that balance for me. I don't know if it was the actors, the writing, or my expectations being wrong. At several points I expected something more clever than what was delivered. Some aspects were predictable. With multiple languages (including sign language) and an opening scrawl setting up the story, there was a lot more reading involved than you usually get in marvel movies.

Having said that, I didn't really feel like anything was particularly bad, nothing offended my sensibilities so I find it hard to be particularly critical about it, just something stopped me embracing it as much as previous MCU entries.

I've been thinking on this and I think what was missing was fun. The eternals are all struggling with their faith, their desires, etc, and none of them seem to enjoy their life, their abilities. There's this constant stream of unhappiness about our main characters, which is interesting in character studies terms, but for me, hampered my ability to enjoy the film.

I've seen a clip from a spoilery interview that suggests one of the post-credit scenes may be more linked to another film than I realised (there is a voice of screen that sounds kinda familiar, but not an obvious voice).

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Have just caught up with a couple of dramatically different films - Halloween Kills and Dune. :lol:

Halloween Kills I was intrigued to see how they would continue the story from the not at all bad Halloween 2018, and thought the way they wrapped up Kills as it was the middle of a trilogy to (hopefully) finally conclude the story of Michael Myers, was pretty hamfisted. Not a film I'd recommend but having gone this far, I think I'll have to see how they finally deal with Myers in H Ends which WAS supposed to be out this October, so presume next October now.

Dune...hmm. Well, it's one of the most incredible looking films I've seen for a while. Real eye candy - a good blend of CG and physical location. However, the story, dialog and delivery left me cold for some reason. I won't be rushing to see the second part. A shame as so many people have really sang the praises of it. Ah well.

In amongst the Brighton match and the F1, as the missus is away this weekend will be catching up on some Korean films (rewatch Train To Busan, and watch Peninsula, and Park Chan-Wook's Vengeance Trilogy) and The Sparks Brothers. Watched Alex Winter's Zappa film earlier - excellent and illuminating.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Eternals

Despite a strong cast and storyline, with great special effects and some comedy moments, it is frankly long winded and hard work to be honest. It is in no way a bad film but just did not really engage .Shame. Worth a watch but would not revisit it at the cinema, dvd or tv. People where visibly restless. It is long and feels it. Far too many wordy scenes that disconnects the whole thing. Need to be a Marvel fanboy or girl to love it I think. 67 out of 100. Lagging well behind No Time to Die, 92 and Dune 88 this year

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Looking forward to Spielberg's remake of West Side Story, aka Romeo and Juliet that won 11 oscars first time. I know some people might cringe at the thought but Spielberg has said for 50 years he wants to make a musical. I love musicals so have high hopes, obviously, we will see

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Looking forward to Spielberg's remake of West Side Story, aka Romeo and Juliet that won 11 oscars first time. I know some people might cringe at the thought but Spielberg has said for 50 years he wants to make a musical. I love musicals so have high hopes, obviously, we will see

Not a massive fan of musicals to be honest, but this does look good, and look forward to Spielbergs “Translation” of the stage script, not a remake allegedly.

https://youtu.be/A5GJLwWiYSg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not a massive fan of musicals to be honest, but this does look good, and look forward to Spielbergs “Translation” of the stage script, not a remake allegedly.

https://youtu.be/A5GJLwWiYSg

If anyone can make this work it is Spielberg. Jury out at the moment but every single second of the clip is Spielberg and that has to be a good thing

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I went to a cinema last night, and sat bubbling with wasteful rage. I chose The French Dispatch, by that ghastly annoyance Wes Anderson, and maybe thought that as The Grand Budapest Hotel was alright this one would be too. His mix of supposed cartoonish eccentricity and quaintness grates through the all of me, and my main hope was to set myself ablaze and run at the screen. It's just the utterly shit version of the Coen brothers. I'm sure that actors enjoy it, and there was quite a cast - Jeffrey Wright was good, in spite of the whimsy he was to be fed - but i now hereby swear, with all of my living might, that i will never watch one of these/his films again. Never.

Obviously a dividing force. I love the kookiness and surrealism he brings to film, nothing quite like it. Went with my daughter and son and we all loved it. It’s one I’d like to see again as there was so much going on. Cinema was full of hipsters and students though!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Last Night in Soho
More of a horror film than I was expecting or in the mood for. I thought it was a stylish ghostly whodunnit, and it has those elements, but leaning more into horror than mystery. I think it falls into the same Edgar Wright camp as Baby Driver for me - I mostly enjoyed watching it, but probably won't go out of my way to watch it again.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
https://youtu.be/G_ua10EMbSg

Possibly avoid the trailer- too many spoilers, but the new Ghostbusters derivative movie looks like it might be fun. Out Friday I think.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I went to a cinema last night, and sat bubbling with wasteful rage. I chose The French Dispatch, by that ghastly annoyance Wes Anderson, and maybe thought that as The Grand Budapest Hotel was alright this one would be too. His mix of supposed cartoonish eccentricity and quaintness grates through the all of me, and my main hope was to set myself ablaze and run at the screen. It's just the utterly shit version of the Coen brothers. I'm sure that actors enjoy it, and there was quite a cast - Jeffrey Wright was good, in spite of the whimsy he was to be fed - but i now hereby swear, with all of my living might, that i will never watch one of these/his films again. Never.

Wholeheartedly agree. I would punch Wes Anderson in the face. Just, frankly, ****ing mumbly annoyingness. While I adore early Coen bros (and No Country For Old Men will I'm sure forever stay in my Top Two films of all time).

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching Tom Hanks new film, Finch. Unbelievably good. He is, for me at least, the greatest actor of all time. He rarely does even an average film, and this I think is up there as one of his best.
The story is about Finch (Hanks) building a robot (I won't tell you his name as it's actually quite amusing) to take care of his dog once he's gone.
The robots mannerisms are amusing throughout, the story is engrossing, enlightening and heartwarming but also depressing, tense and sad.
Films are somewhat subjective, but I'd say it's one of the best films I've seen over the past couple of years, just my opinion though.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Last Night In Soho yesterday and it left quite an impression on me (listening to the soundtrack album on Spotify as I type this!). Wasn't sure what to expect, and whatever that was, it surpassed those expectations. Great acting, incredible production design, and a really good choice of music. Thomasin McKenzie has yet again given a truly captivating performance (I also thought she was a standout in Leave No Trace and JoJo Rabbit). Won't be to everyone's taste (struggling to categorise it - some have called it a horror, but is it more a thriller?) and a difficult one to describe the premise, too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here