Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Surprisingly dangerous sports

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Just putting together a presentation and was going through some old slides on the perception of risk (can’t find the backup facts). I thought this would make great pub quiz question - most deaths and most injuries in participation sport:

1. Bowls (crown green type) is technically the most dangerous sport based on number of deaths. Nothing to do with participation just that the age of average player is so old so nearly all the deaths are from heart attacks (not sure how else you could die in this high octane sport)
2. Most injuries per participant is cheerleading, not the Pom Pom stuff but the pyramid stacks. See Cheer on Netflix to see what they do and how they get interested

I expect extreme sports are per participant statistically worse or give more life changing injuries

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ski jumping / ski flying is perhaps in the opposite category... "surprisingly safe sports". Sure looks dangerous though, whenever I watch it (... not that often) I wonder how they are not all dead, you would imagine that if they are doing this shit 20 times a day in training they would **** up and die to death at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPs3HbfR5dE

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just putting together a presentation and was going through some old slides on the perception of risk (can’t find the backup facts). I thought this would make great pub quiz question - most deaths and most injuries in participation sport:

1. Bowls (crown green type) is technically the most dangerous sport based on number of deaths. Nothing to do with participation just that the age of average player is so old so nearly all the deaths are from heart attacks (not sure how else you could die in this high octane sport)
2. Most injuries per participant is cheerleading, not the Pom Pom stuff but the pyramid stacks. See Cheer on Netflix to see what they do and how they get interested

I expect extreme sports are per participant statistically worse or give more life changing injuries

I would like to back up your theory by saying that my Grandad did indeed die of a heart attack whilst playing Crown Green Bowling at Southborough Bowls Club Tunbridge Wells.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pole vaulting. I don't even know how you start to PRACTICE that without it being potentially lethal.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
****ing dangerous..

giphy (1).gif

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Ski jumping / ski flying is perhaps in the opposite category... "surprisingly safe sports". Sure looks dangerous though, whenever I watch it (... not that often) I wonder how they are not all dead, you would imagine that if they are doing this shit 20 times a day in training they would **** up and die to death at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPs3HbfR5dE

I am sure they have changed the slope, they don't seem to be as high as they used to be.
Seeing Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards waving to the world from the top of the ramp in The Olympics with his steamed up glasses on and then totally ballsing it up and being stretchered off the snow, is still one of the funniest things I have seen.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Water polo.

There's a good chance that the horses will drown.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
When applying for life insurance, I was asked if I did any dangerous pastimes, I replied yes I go gliding, the man looked through his list. No thats quite safe. I also said I played golf, cue sharp intake of breath. Evidently quite dangerous.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I think fishing is quite dangerous. Every time I tell the wife I am off to the lake for the weekend and leaving her at home with the kids she threaterns to kill me.

Joking aside, isn’t fishing actually quite high up the list, as lots of anglers catch Weil’s Disease from rat piss etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Field Hockey. I've seen two friends get the same hand injury, where the ball flies up in a tackle and crushes a finger between it and the stick. Horrible to see a finger peeling like a banana.

I'm pretty sure people have been killed playing in the past too. You get hit on the head at 90mph from a penalty corner you aint getting up quickly!

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Joking aside, isn’t fishing actually quite high up the list, as lots of anglers catch Weil’s Disease from rat piss etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Weil's disease only kills about 3 people per year in the UK.

Drowning is still the biggest risk to course anglers.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Fishing isn’t in the sports area but was in the dangerous pastimes. Not a Sussex pond/river type fishing but coastal sea fishing - getting washed out to sea appears to be the danger or maybe it was catching too big a fish!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm sorry, I don't care how you big it up, I can't see that cheering on your team is a sport?
It would be quite dangerous to form a human pyramid and then have to catch a whirling dervish with arms and legs flailing around that weighs eight stone falling from 16ft? Not a sport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here