Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Containers

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It probably means very little to most on here, although you will be impacted at some point.
The cost to ship a container from China to the UK was £1800 or less. Today it is around £10,000 if you are lucky enough to even get one. Some of my 'cheap' goods come from China and my supplier told me this story a few weeks back. I thought he was making it up as an excuse to raise prices, but turns out to be true. Many reasons, not just Brexit or Covid but a mixture of both. Government holding a load of containers full of PPE whilst Felixtowe is backed up through Brexit. Many shippers now refusing to send here.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It probably means very little to most on here, although you will be impacted at some point.
The cost to ship a container from China to the UK was £1800 or less. Today it is around £10,000 if you are lucky enough to even get one. Some of my 'cheap' goods come from China and my supplier told me this story a few weeks back. I thought he was making it up as an excuse to raise prices, but turns out to be true. Many reasons, not just Brexit or Covid but a mixture of both. Government holding a load of containers full of PPE whilst Felixtowe is backed up through Brexit. Many shippers now refusing to send here.

It will screw up those UK based Ebayers with names like xand1032948.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Good. Want a planet to live on? Then it better be expensive to export/import things across the world.

Interesting thought.
Have a look at the computer/phone you are using and the chair you are sitting on and the clothes you are wearing and the coffee you are drinking in the cup you are using.
Anything not imported? You are as much to blame as anyone else.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting thought.
Have a look at the computer/phone you are using and the chair you are sitting on and the clothes you are wearing and the coffee you are drinking in the cup you are using.
Anything not imported? You are as much to blame as anyone else.

No, everything is imported I think and yes I am as much to blame as anyone else. Whats your point?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Good. Want a planet to live on? Then it better be expensive to export/import things across the world.

So let's do a deal to import a sh!t tonne of goods from the USA and Australia rather than a far shorter distance... in Europe.

Frictionless trade meant frictionless trade. We voted against that.

We are now a 3rd Country. A minnow. We'll be feeding on scraps the rest of the world toss us for many years to come - and if we want anything from outside the UK, it'll cost us. If we move manufacturing to the UK, it'll cost us as we're an expensive country to manufacture products in.

Still, we're leaner, stronger, and better. Aren't we.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
No, everything is imported I think and yes I am as much to blame as anyone else. Whats your point?

Without speaking for [MENTION=21200]I remember the good times[/MENTION], I think their point was that it is part of the world that we have all come to accept and rely on, if things jump up in price because of what was stated in the OP, that way of life will be forced to very suddenly change. You directly pointed your finger at them and asked if they "Want a planet to live on?" which came across as accusatory at best and then proceeded to let us know you are not above that accusation either. Just seems a weird thing to start a fight over when the poster clearly meant "you are as much to blame as anyone else" in a wider, we are all to blame manner.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Without speaking for [MENTION=21200]I remember the good times[/MENTION], I think their point was that it is part of the world that we have all come to accept and rely on, if things jump up in price because of what was stated in the OP, that way of life will be forced to very suddenly change. You directly pointed your finger at them and asked if they "Want a planet to live on?" which came across as accusatory at best and then proceeded to let us know you are not above that accusation either. Just seems a weird thing to start a fight over when the poster clearly meant "you are as much to blame as anyone else" in a wider, we are all to blame manner.

Well... the way of life needs to change very suddenly. It cant go on.

And as I said, I'm as guilty as anyone but that doesnt change my perspective to "everything is perfect, let us all keep doing what we're doing".

As I've said plenty of times its perfectly possible to have opinions without living by those words, as its very difficult sometimes. You might want higher or lower taxes but as long as society tells you "these are the taxes", you will probably not pay more or less, right?

Its funny how often people accuse others of being hypocrites when its pretty much impossible not to be in some sense.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There are few material things that we can't produce ourselves. Maybe these costs will drive us manufacture and produce more here?

I already actively avoid anything "made in China" as it's generally such poor quality.

We are in a consumer society where everyone is driven by cost. I work in business 2 business sales in the tech industry and we increased costs by 6% to cover manufacturing increases and because we moved a lot manufacturing from China to Taiwan & Mexico and you wouldn’t believe the reaction. And this was from customers with billion+ turnovers !

Now imagine the man on the street where everything increases by 5-10%

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

It appears to be a world issue.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/09/cost-shipping-goods-uk-covid-pandemic

https://splash247.com/european-commission-urged-to-act-amid-record-box-freight-rates/

https://www.freightos.com/freight-resources/coronavirus-updates/

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Simply stop buying shite from China [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Was chatting about this earlier today with someone who works in business reliant on freight shipping funnily enough. Seems the primary cause is high demand for goods from Asia in Europe/US, but much lower demand than usual for goods in the opposite direction, ergo not enough containers finding their way back to Asia, and the Asian companies being prepared to pay higher rates due to the shortage.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
WHERE DO THE F**KING LIDS GO?

I have so many containers and very few lids, WHO is responsible?
This is what I was hoping to see!!!! My misses is obsessed with buying containers but can I ever find one the right size? Can I ****

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This is what I was hoping to see!!!! My misses is obsessed with buying containers but can I ever find one the right size? Can I ****

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

:lolol:
We have one kitchen cupboard packed solid with plastic containers, lids not on the containers, but in the cupboard somewhere. Mrs usually complains we need a bigger kitchen when she can’t find something in this cupboard.
I sorted this cupboard out once, messed up within days and I was in the wrong because she couldn’t find something. :rolleyes:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m not the one dripping like a septic fanny about containers from China....If the Op is upset about the price simply stop importing from China..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hate the way you pollute this Board. You bring nothing of interest or value to any thread, simply friction and bitterness. It’s quite some talent to go through life diminishing rather than adding to everything you touch.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
whilst we don’t import directly, most of our suppliers do to some point or another.

in the last 6-8 weeks nearly all have started to apply freight surcharges, some of which are huge.

As an example, take your typical compostable take away coffee cups. Cost price of a 16oz went up from £21 per case to goods arriving next week at £39!

Its made worse by a global shortage of shipping containers. It does start to beg the question as to when it makes more sense financially for goods to be produced in UK rather than moving goods half way around the world. That can only happen though when we all decide that we are prepared to pay the extra cash for what we buy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here