Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Simon Rusk leaving.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He doesn't need to learn about being a player though does he?

Can you point to the managerial & coaching experience Rooney is supposed to draw upon to help develop Liam Rosenior as a coach?

If you wanted to learn how to run a supermarket, would you prefer to learn from the manager at your local Sainsbury who has run 3 supermarkets of different sizes, or go and work with the bloke who's been in his first managers job at Morrison's for a few weeks just because he used to be the fastest shelf stacker for Waitrose?

I'm not saying he should, or will come by the way - I just think your logic is weird

I'm not convinced there's anything Potter knows about football that Rooney doesn't. Your point isn't unreasonable but the comparison is totally off. You're comparing a man who has done well at a much lower level with a player who played at the very top of the game for almost 15 years, both domestically and Internationally. He's worked under some brilliant managers, and David Moyes twice. He's got a much broader top level experience than some guy who's just shown up.

Or do you want to pretend that players don't learn anything from their managers and only managerial experience is relevant?

Personally, I would argue that Gus Poyet learnt more from being a number 2 at Leeds and Swindon than he would have done by being an u23 manager for any period of time. Bottom line, for me - Rosenior is much better off where he is.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm not convinced there's anything Potter knows about football that Rooney doesn't. Your point isn't unreasonable but the comparison is totally off. You're comparing a man who has done well at a much lower level with a player who played at the very top of the game for almost 15 years, both domestically and Internationally. He's worked under some brilliant managers, and David Moyes twice. He's got a much broader top level experience than some guy who's just shown up.

Or do you want to pretend that players don't learn anything from their managers and only managerial experience is relevant?

Personally, I would argue that Gus Poyet learnt more from being a number 2 at Leeds and Swindon than he would have done by being an u23 manager for any period of time. Bottom line, for me - Rosenior is much better off where he is.

My reply was more a response to your more narrow point that he could learn more from Rooney than Potter rather than any difference between being a #2, or an u23 manager.

I'm certainly not saying that only managerial experience is relevant, but I do believe that having several years of managerial experience puts someone in a better position to mentor other coaching staff, than just being a player (albeit a successful one at the highest level).

To turn your point around - do you want to pretend that managers don't learn anything from their managing and only playing experience is relevant?

Is this just about how you feel about Potter (as I suspect), or do you actually think that any player who's worked under good managers will automatically know more about being a football manager than an actual manager?

Gary Neville's playing career was similar to Rooney's, so he should automatically be a great manager, right? How did he get on at Valencia?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
My reply was more a response to your more narrow point that he could learn more from Rooney than Potter rather than any difference between being a #2, or an u23 manager.

I'm certainly not saying that only managerial experience is relevant, but I do believe that having several years of managerial experience puts someone in a better position to mentor other coaching staff, than just being a player (albeit a successful one at the highest level).

To turn your point around - do you want to pretend that managers don't learn anything from their managing and only playing experience is relevant?

Is this just about how you feel about Potter (as I suspect), or do you actually think that any player who's worked under good managers will automatically know more about being a football manager than an actual manager?

Gary Neville's playing career was similar to Rooney's, so he should automatically be a great manager, right? How did he get on at Valencia?

Could say the same about Paul Scholes too.

31 days at Oldham wasn't it?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

No, I disagree that Rooney's career was similar to Neville's. Neville played for one manager at one club in his career. Rooney experienced different managers at 4 clubs, including playing in America. Everyone knew Rooney wanted to be a manager so there's no chance he wasn't actively thinking about the methods each manager he played for was employing. He's been a coach at Derby, that's good experience under an experienced manager as well.

My point isn't anti-Potter at all. I'm talking about Rosenior and his position at Derby, right now I think he's probably better suited to staying in that role rather than coming to back to Brighton to be u23 manager. He may well see it differently, but personally I think he can learn a lot from Rooney (for better or worse) and I think he's got a career as a first team manager ahead of him. I rate Rosenior highly, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to him coming back!

Could say the same about Paul Scholes too.

31 days at Oldham wasn't it?

That was more about the awful owner though wasn't it? And Scholes not really wanting to be a manager. Rooney does and he's been working toward it for years. There's a lot of anti-Rooney sentiment at times but it's not a debate that he played at the top level for at least a decade, before declining quite dramatically in his last season at United and then at Everton.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
No-one will ever be good enough to fill Gannon's shoes in the eyes of County fans, so there's a mountain to climb in terms of credibility even before you start. Good luck to SR though. No idea who will replace him, but I trust the Club to get it right given the huge investment in developing younger players.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
No, I disagree that Rooney's career was similar to Neville's. Neville played for one manager at one club in his career. Rooney experienced different managers at 4 clubs, including playing in America. Everyone knew Rooney wanted to be a manager so there's no chance he wasn't actively thinking about the methods each manager he played for was employing. He's been a coach at Derby, that's good experience under an experienced manager as well.

My point isn't anti-Potter at all. I'm talking about Rosenior and his position at Derby, right now I think he's probably better suited to staying in that role rather than coming to back to Brighton to be u23 manager. He may well see it differently, but personally I think he can learn a lot from Rooney (for better or worse) and I think he's got a career as a first team manager ahead of him. I rate Rosenior highly, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to him coming back!

That was more about the awful owner though wasn't it? And Scholes not really wanting to be a manager. Rooney does and he's been working toward it for years. There's a lot of anti-Rooney sentiment at times but it's not a debate that he played at the top level for at least a decade, before declining quite dramatically in his last season at United and then at Everton.

You sidestepped my other points and (successfully) distracted me by getting me to think of decent players that, despite having the opportunity to learn by playing under a range of decorated managers in different leagues etc have been terrible managers (could be worth its own thread :)

How about David Platt?
Coached/managed by (off the top of my head, so I could be out with some):
Dario Gradi at Crewe
Someone at Villa (big Ron?)
No idea who at Bari
Trappatonni (Juve)
Sven Goran Erikson (Sampdoria)
Wenger at Arsenal
Bobby Robson & Graham Taylor for England

Dogshit manager despite the variety and pedigree of clubs/managers he worked with.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They are doing quite well. I read their forum a lot and people are slowly forgiving Simon Rusk for his heinous crime of not being Jim Gannon. Rusk is actually slightly ahead of Gannon in PPG now to delight of most of them bar a few Gannon loyalists.

3-0 against Boreham Wood yesterday, with former Brighton player Will Collar yet again playing really well (according to their fans).

Stockport is currently 4th in the league with a small chance of grabbing a direct spot.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Rusk and his boys currently playing vs 2nd placed Torquay in what is most likely a must-win (!) game if they want to steal a top 2 spot and secure promotion without playoffs.

Will Collar currently injured but former Brighton U23 loanee Harry Cardwell starting up front. Currently 0-0 with Stockport dominating the game, its available on hesgoal for those who would like to watch some non-Crystal Palace football.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Rusk and his boys currently playing vs 2nd placed Torquay in what is most likely a must-win (!) game if they want to steal a top 2 spot and secure promotion without playoffs.

Will Collar currently injured but former Brighton U23 loanee Harry Cardwell starting up front. Currently 0-0 with Stockport dominating the game, its available on hesgoal for those who would like to watch some non-Crystal Palace football.
Some posters knock you Swansman but there is no doubting your knowledge of football and of your adopted club. Thankyou :clap2:

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Looking at the National League table, I didn't realise it was quite such a graveyard of former football league clubs down there; Barnet in 22nd on 24 points. There but for the grace, and all that.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

It's only the 1st placed club that goes up from the National League automatically. Stockport would have to win today and both their remaining games hoping that Sutton don't pick up another point to have a chance of first place and automatic promotion. Torquay can also still win the divison.

2nd and 3rd qualify for the semi finals of the play offs, while 4th to 7th play in the play off QF's with the winners going on to face 2nd and 3rd in the semi's.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Looking at the National League table, I didn't realise it was quite such a graveyard of former football league clubs down there; Barnet in 22nd on 24 points. There but for the grace, and all that.

Torquay
Stockport
Hartlepool
Wrexham
Notts County
Chesterfield
Halifax
Aldershot

Not to mention: Darlington, Southport, Chester, who have sunk even lower.
I remember seeing us play all of those in my most remembered Albion season of 1964-5 (The Bobby Smith season) when we scored 102 goals and won the 4th Division title.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Torquay
Stockport
Hartlepool
Wrexham
Notts County
Chesterfield
Halifax
Aldershot

Not to mention: Darlington, Southport, Chester, who have sunk even lower.
I remember seeing us play all of those in my most remembered Albion season of 1964-5 (The Bobby Smith season) when we scored 102 goals and won the 4th Division title.

Done six of those as an away trip though Darlo was to Feethams. Was also on the train to Halifax when it was called off due to them playing Rugby League on the pitch the night before in a rain storm :facepalm:

I've no idea if these actually count as "league grounds" in my total now.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's only the 1st placed club that goes up from the National League automatically. Stockport would have to win today and both their remaining games hoping that Sutton don't pick up another point to have a chance of first place and automatic promotion. Torquay can also still win the divison.

2nd and 3rd qualify for the semi finals of the play offs, while 4th to 7th play in the play off QF's with the winners going on to face 2nd and 3rd in the semi's.

Crazily complicated in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here