Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why Are We So Wasteful?

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Yesterday was a case in point but come on you stat people, do the stats back up the title to this thread? It just seems to me that we get our selves some great opportunities to score and then fluff our lines. I thought we’d turned a corner against Leeds but now I’m not so sure, we won’t get the same number of opportunities against PL opponents as we did against Blackpool so we have to start converting these chances. My mojo after Leeds took a right bashing yesterday.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yesterday, particularly when Blackpool were chasing the game we had chance after chance, and we kept missing them. It was very frustrating

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Because players are not coached very well in being clinical ? No killer instinct ?

I don't believe the players aren't capable. We've seen on several occasions that they are. I do think some of them have hit a ceiling though. If we want to move up a rung on the PL ladder we need to keep evolving the squad, obviously.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Because players are not coached very well in being clinical ? No killer instinct ?

I don't believe the players aren't capable. We've seen on several occasions that they are. I do think some of them have hit a ceiling though. If we want to move up a rung on the PL ladder we need to keep evolving the squad, obviously.

Can you coach that killer instinct? I don’t know I’m just a fan, maybe it’s just a margins thing.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Can you coach that killer instinct? I don’t know I’m just a fan, maybe it’s just a margins thing.

It's been margins for a few years and nothings been done about it. Maybe we're just 85% PL oven ready and thats it, until we run out of luck.

Maybe the desire to 'win' a game, when you've already 'won' ( a £50k a week contract) diminishes with average players ?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It seems only Bissouma is prepared to get a shot away early.everyone else has to control it , take another touch , look up , wait and...oh no it's blocked.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It's very strange.
Murray famously said something along the lines of 'no matter what level you play at, the goal is in the same place'.
You do wonder how many goals Murray or even Madine would've scored for us this season. They might not of contributed a massive amount beyond that, but if they'd scored 10+ goals who cares?
I can't get my head around some of Maupay's misses. Yesterday's, twice, was just bizarrely feeble. You'd expect any person who has ever kicked a football at any level to score that. No pressure, no crowd, lower league opposition. Yet he is a highly rated striker. We know he can finish but he just seems to fluff so many chances. Trossard's the same. It's often harder for them to miss than score.
Even Gross who is usually fairly composed absolutely blazed a chance late on.

You can't blame Potter for it. He'd fancy scoring a lot of these chances himself, I'm sure, but you do have to wonder what is going on.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's too much tinkering, sometimes we play 2 strikers sometime 1, Trossard will start centrally and be moved wider et al. The players are not used to the types of runs that the striker is likely to make or the position that the delivery will arrive to. Making the odd change of personel is one thing but when personel and positioning changes then players will find it hard to make the right decisions based on what their team mates are likely to do. Familiarity will help to make them more predictable and as a striker knowing where the ball is going to be delivered means you can focus on setting yourself for the chance rather than reacting to the suprise. It's all fine margins

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
One word. CONFIDENCE. I'm sure if we had a natural goal scorer it would lift every body else in the team to new heights by taken the pressure off them in front of goal. We fanny around for ages at a slow cumbersome pace then snatch at a shot or opportunity.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I would say that whilst both are a problem, not really creating killer chances is more of a problem in the majority of games than creating and them missing them.

Obviously some exceptions - yesterday and United at home spring to mind.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I thought we were better yesterday despite not converting. Most were first time efforts and we didnt over think, just lacking a bit on the execution

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Statistically speaking the shots-to-goal conversion ratios are ok (go back a month and they were not), if you ignore Leandro Trossards meltdown numbers of one goal from 23 shots.

Midfield and centre back conversion is a bit below average.

Its difficult to just use those stats however. Brighton is one of the teams obviously explicitly looking looking for dangerous xG zones before the players makes their attempts, so probably finishing from dangerous areas more often than a lot of other teams and hence you could perhaps expect more efficieny.

At the same time, its one of those old fan myths: every supporter group in the world thinks that they are missing too many chances and make too many mistakes in defense. Take a look at any NSC equivalent and you'll find the exact same stuff as here - "why are we missing chances, why are we so poor on set pieces, why do we make mistakes in defense, should the goalie have saved that?"... its pretty universal, because its very easy to watch football and very difficult to play it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So frustrating. I found myself getting annoyed with Trossard too but then saw him lay on two chances for the other forwards to miss...badly. One day it will click and shots on target will not go straight to the keeper or be mishit, and someone will get a stuffing. I have been saying this for over a year now though :rolleyes:

boik

As has been mentioned, it's confidence. if you've ever played sport you'll know that when you're on the too of your game you seem to have much more time. Time to look up, time to see where the keeper and defenders are, time to aim for the gaps. When you're off your game you just rush and concentrate on hitting the target, which is mostly where the keeper is.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Statistically speaking the shots-to-goal conversion ratios are ok (go back a month and they were not), if you ignore Leandro Trossards meltdown numbers of one goal from 23 shots.

Midfield and centre back conversion is a bit below average.

Its difficult to just use those stats however. Brighton is one of the teams obviously explicitly looking looking for dangerous xG zones before the players makes their attempts, so probably finishing from dangerous areas more often than a lot of other teams and hence you could perhaps expect more efficieny.

At the same time, its one of those old fan myths: every supporter group in the world thinks that they are missing too many chances and make too many mistakes in defense. Take a look at any NSC equivalent and you'll find the exact same stuff as here - "why are we missing chances, why are we so poor on set pieces, why do we make mistakes in defense, should the goalie have saved that?"... its pretty universal, because its very easy to watch football and very difficult to play it.

Nothing like a bit of sanctimony on a Sunday.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We’re very bad at it on the whole but I’d imagine if you surveyed fans of all 92 clubs, the majority would say their club is wasteful. Chances get missed, all part of it. And it’s very hard at our level to land someone like Ings or Vardy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Touché.

And still your "you expect anyone playing football at any level to score that" example of Neal Maupay is statistically more efficient than Harry Kane. Not saying the Brighton strikers are the most clinical in the world, but still maybe that gives you a hint that your expectations are more fecked up than the strikers are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here