Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why Are We So Wasteful?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Maybe not clinical, but certainly brave. And he was top scorer in that promotion season ahead of Nelson.

As it happens, I agree that Maupay isn't a good finisher, but he seems to be the one that Potter has most faith in. I'd argue that the most natural goalscorer on our books is Andone, but whether we ever see him in an Albion shirt again seems open to question.

Was Bremner ahead of Nelson in that third division promotion year? That goes to show how memory does tricks. I thought Nelson almost broke Ward's record that season, but time does these tricks on us. Completely with you with Andone. It does annoy me when players fall out with managers and the like. They are all supposed to be professional, which means at work, you just get on with job whether you like people or not. It's the reverse of professional all of this falling out with people. I'd like to see Andone given a go and I see it as both the manager and players job to get things sorted out. If they can't then get HR on it and start docking wages.

1234.jpg

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If we weren’t so wasteful!
View attachment 132978

It’s almost as if we have a good, talented manager who’s building a team capable of dominating possession and creating umpteen chances a game.

Just missing some final pieces.

Nah, can’t be any of that... “He’s a pillock, don’t even know his best team, we ain’t mid table like we was promised Porter out [emoji110]”

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
It’s almost as if we have a good, talented manager who’s building a team capable of dominating possession and creating umpteen chances a game.

Just missing some final pieces.

Nah, can’t be any of that... “He’s a pillock, don’t even know his best team, we ain’t mid table like we was promised Porter out [emoji110]”

I know it's always claimed that we should be in the top half on expected goals, but do we really create that many good chances? My main memories this season are of us hitting the woodwork too often, but also having lots of shots blocked because we don't shoot quickly enough. Does those efforts count towards expected goals? Because when Maupay gets a chance, then takes another touch, and then another, I certainly don't expect a goal.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I know it's always claimed that we should be in the top half on expected goals, but do we really create that many good chances? My main memories this season are of us hitting the woodwork too often, but also having lots of shots blocked because we don't shoot quickly enough. Does those efforts count towards expected goals? Because when Maupay gets a chance, then takes another touch, and then another, I certainly don't expect a goal.

It depends on what kind of xG data is used.

Some stat companies / databases count xG from simple things like number of shots, number of shots on goals etc. Meaning if you shoot from your own half and it ends up in the keepers gloves, it raises the xG the same away a shot from inside the box does. This makes it very flawed.

But other stat companies / databases use more detailed ways to gather xG. The zone you are shooting from, the placement of defenders, all that stuff. Here is a good video of a good (or at least decent) way of measuring xG:

https://streamable.com/ay4qq

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

The is is very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing.

I can’t believe that we’ve faced the least shots in the Premier League! That’s fantastic.

What’s not so good is that we have let half the shots on target in and we have the worst save percentage in the league. Hopefully, Sanchez will improve that stat now.

Th conclusion is that we should have double the points so we’re doing something right!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You do wonder how many goals Murray or even Madine would've scored for us this season. They might not of contributed a massive amount beyond that, but if they'd scored 10+ goals who cares?
I can't get my head around some of Maupay's misses.

I suspect/hope that someone has picked up on this, but you talk of 10+ goals and who cares beyond that. And then you talk about Maupay. The same Maupay that did get 10 goals last season, his first season in the PL. The same Maupay that has 7 goals in this half-season, and if he replicates it in the second half, will end up on 14.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Yeah I think so. Genuinely.

Apart from a handful of games we have had enough chances to win most weeks.

Even Blackpool at the weekend. As I wrote in the match thread, we could have conceivably scored 5.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I haven't trawled through this thread, but the best response I can offer is Bloom's Moneyball strategy. Many things are projected onto that term, but I'm using it in the sense of spending more comparative money further back on the pitch (ie on defenders and midfielders, rather than forwards). Strikers that (in Ian Wright's phrase) 'go cold' in front of goal cost, and cost a high premium. We have fewer forwards, less variety, less quality, and inferior goalscoring prowess than most other teams in the PL. You could even argue that clubs below us or even just above us have a better roster of forwards:
-- Newcastle: Wilson, St Maximin, Almiron, Carroll
-- Sheff Utd: McGoldrick, McBurnie, Brewster, Burke, Sharp, Mousset
-- Fulham: Mitrovic, Lookman, Cavaleiro, Kamara
-- B&HA: Welbeck, Maupay, Connolly, Zeqiri

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We are one goalscorer away from being another Southampton/Leicester. Unfortunately, that is the hardest piece of the jigsaw to fill. That's why Jamie Vardy is coveted by big clubs and Danny Ings was at one himself before rejoining his boyhood/local club. On the other hand, if we could get hold of someone at the level of, say, Michail Antonio in the summer, I think we'd have a great season.

The xG table is interesting. As much as it looks like we don't convert our chances, it also shows how Southampton (and Everton and Wolves) are the opposite - ruthlessly clinical with what chances do come their way, and we saw exactly that at the Amex. As well as having Danny Ings, I bet James Ward-Prowse has scored from free kicks twice as many times on his own as we have managed from free kicks as a team. It also shows what a great job Everton have done in turning Dominic Calvert-Lewin into a proper ruthless striker.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I suspect/hope that someone has picked up on this, but you talk of 10+ goals and who cares beyond that. And then you talk about Maupay. The same Maupay that did get 10 goals last season, his first season in the PL. The same Maupay that has 7 goals in this half-season, and if he replicates it in the second half, will end up on 14.

And this is the thing....Maupay will end up fulfilling his remit of getting between 10-15 goals this season. Neal is who he is. What we need are more players to join him in double figures.

Maupay is on 7 league goals and then we have five players on two each with a further four on a single goal each. Whilst I do think Maupay should have scored more the rest of the team should really step up and give him a hand too.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If we weren’t so wasteful!
View attachment 132978

Mad to look at that. What it shows, completely backed up by what we've seen with our eyes, it's that we create chance after chance, but as soon as we score we drop deep and concede. Rinse and repeat. Our plan A is very good. But the plan B of a scoring on the break when defending a lead still needs a lot of work.

What I also hope is that this is a stat that will tend to the mean over time.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No, you suggested we weren’t focusing enough on finishing in training, clear evidence even as you suggest

I asked how you knew the breakdown of our training sessions and suggested you must go regularly to know this.

Of course you don’t go as you don’t have any business being there and even if you did you wouldn’t be allowed currently, so in turn this proves that you don’t know what we focus on in training.

You could spend an extra 3 hours a day shooting, doesn’t mean this translates into success in a real game scenario.

Personally I don’t think it’s the finishing that’s the issue its the lack of movement and speed in getting into decent positions and making the right decision when to shoot first time, angles etc. Do they work on this, how would I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t but, like me, you can see the results of our (lack of) training in this area on the pitch in games. Which, after all, is what matters. Did you see the latest XG table? We appear to be doing zero to resolve this oh so ****ing obvious issue. Be that acquisition or training. Regardless, this merits criticism IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here