Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dutch curfew.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I thought it was a ''spoof'' when I read the bit about being a Guest on a TV Programme

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I thought it was a ''spoof'' when I read the bit about being a Guest on a TV Programme

It's the same in the UK obviously, TV presenters being key workers. Feels odd I know, but otherwise, it would be back to back Mrs Browns Boys repeats and Dad's Army.

The bit that made me laugh was "walking the dog". Of course, dogs need to do their business, but I wonder whether there will now be a boom in dog sales in the Netherlands.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I really don't see the advantage of making shops close early. If anything encourage them to open for longer hours and spread people visiting over a longer period.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I really don't see the advantage of making shops close early. If anything encourage them to open for longer hours and spread people visiting over a longer period.

They've done it to stop an increase in illegal parties, households meeting up and large groups meeting up outside.

Most of which is happening in the evening.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
They've done it to stop an increase in illegal parties, households meeting up and large groups meeting up outside.

Most of which is happening in the evening.

Seems like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut and will push everyone into doing things like going shopping in a condensed set of hours.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Seems like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut and will push everyone into doing things like going shopping in a condensed set of hours.

I'm quite sure the vast majority of the population aren't doing their shopping after 8:30pm.

I've visited Amsterdam in September every year for over 10 years, except last year obviously. It really isn't like London. Most are shut by that time and many don't open on Sundays at all, which is annoying if you forget.

Having a blanket rule that says all businesses are shut by that time is going to have a near-zero effect on shopping and won't condense it all.

Unless of course you in the market for a spliff or a dodgy kebab.

Year before last, I went to crack open a bottle of wine in my hotel but realised that I didn't a corkscrew. Wandered the streets around 9pm trying to find a shop open and finally found a bottle opener in a "gift shop".

Not sure I'll ever open a bottle of wine again with a novelty dildo corkscrew tastefully engraved with the legend "visit Amsterdam".

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I'm quite sure the vast majority of the population aren't doing their shopping after 8:30pm.

Similarly a vast majority of people aren't having house parties or meeting in large groups outside, both of which should be dealt with when they happen.

I appreciate every country has different challenges but I try and do my shopping in less busy times for shops and the rare times I exercise outside (I am doing most of it through Apple Fitness+ indoors at the moment) I do it late in the evening.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Similarly a vast majority of people aren't having house parties or meeting in large groups outside, both of which should be dealt with when they happen.

I appreciate every country has different challenges but I try and do my shopping in less busy times for shops and the rare times I exercise outside (I am doing most of it through Apple Fitness+ indoors at the moment) I do it late in the evening.

See fuller post. They won't be open anyway.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As I said it will vary from country to country. I don't think it would be helpful over here though.
You said countries have different challenges but the curfew would lead to condensed shopping in Netherlands which I don't believe.

They have a more continental attitude to working hours.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
You said countries have different challenges but the curfew would lead to condensed shopping in Netherlands which I don't believe.

Probably something to do with being on the continent.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

All non-essential* shops over here are shut anyway for the moment as part of wider lockdown measures, so curfew won't have any condensing effect there. Although it is a blow for collectors of late-night novelty dildo corkscrews, I do realise.

"Normally", pre-curfew, most Dutch supermarkets would have shut at 10pm, so they are only losing an hour of trade. And on the very rare occasions I've been in one between 9 and 10, they have been virtually empty, so I don't think there is much trade to redistribute. (In any event, they were already opening an hour earlier in the mornings to stretch out the day)

Outside of the tourist areas in Amsterdam, there are very few other shops open at that hour in normal times. And even in Amsterdam, the bulk of late-night shoppers would normally be tourists. And right now there aren't any tourists...

In short, I agree with you. Personally speaking, I haven't been out in the evening since all the bars and restaurants were closed in mid-October, so curfew makes no difference whatsoever to me. The only people affected are a few disgruntled kids who are upset that their already illegal party gatherings have become even more illegal, and feel the need (as evidenced last night) to go and throw rocks at the police, like that will help...

(*It is of course still shocking to discover that novelty dildo corkscrews are considered 'non-essential')

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here