Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Fiveways

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I moved (begrudgingly) to Fiveways - yes, from Hanover - and now acknowledge its benefits while laughing at its cliches of Fiveways yummy mummies (inc the dryrobe/birkies combo already noted above). Flour Pot's popularity is puzzling - we never go there after seeing a cockatoo licking the bread. Ravens, Quaff, 5ways fruits, Jenny's F&C all excellent. My wife prefers Barfield meat to Choice Cuts though their Real Patisserie bread and homemade cakes are excellent. The cafe a couple of doors down is good when open. Preston Foods good local corner shop. Cleveland and PV are less poncey than the lady pub (PPT).

Begrudgingly you say, was it a certain school that drew you to the area by chance.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lived in the Fiveways area for 25 years. Great place to live as its an easy walk into town and has two nearby parks, Blakers and Preston Park. Barfields the butchers and Ravens are places I use weekly and highly recommend. Agra is great for a traditional Indian. The Cleveland is a nice local pub overlooking Blakers Park. The Jolly Brewers was making itself into a community hub but did not reopen after the first lockdown. Hope it survives.
Fiveways is a good family place to be, welcome to the area.

Make that THREE parks. We used to often go for walks to Hollingbury Park and the woods. Was always gobsmacked that a whole flock of parakeets lived in the trees there. Maybe they still do

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Begrudgingly you say, was it a certain school that drew you to the area by chance.....

Definitely not. Our daughter was too young at the time for it to be an issue. Fiveways was well down our list of preferred areas, but we found a rundown house that could be done up at a reasonable cost. There's not many left these days.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Make that THREE parks. We used to often go for walks to Hollingbury Park and the woods. Was always gobsmacked that a whole flock of parakeets lived in the trees there. Maybe they still do

I used to love the old Hollingbury GC clubhouse located off Golf Drive at the end of Stanmer Villas.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
we moved out of the area last year (we were more in the hollingdean dip area)

pros:
-good shops like fiveways fruits, store etc
-quick to get into town, but also you're not far from the countryside and there are things like the woods
-parts of it (more the hollingdean side) are relatively affordable compard with other areas of Brighton
-good chippy in the dip
-nice parks
-agra is a decent indian

cons:
-the hills, the ****ing hills
-shittest co op on earth
-surprising lack of decent pubs for what is a decent area
-don't actually think the coffee shops are that good compared with other areas (flour pot is a chain so meh)
-our neighbours were pricks (not fiveways' fault)

overall we enjoyed living round there, made a tidy profit on our flat and moved to west sussex to get more space. Lots of spaces for our little one to run around in and lots of kids stuff going on (small groups etc) and a lot of our friends were living nearby

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I moved (begrudgingly) to Fiveways - yes, from Hanover - and now acknowledge its benefits while laughing at its cliches of Fiveways yummy mummies (inc the dryrobe/birkies combo already noted above). Flour Pot's popularity is puzzling - we never go there after seeing a cockatoo licking the bread. Ravens, Quaff, 5ways fruits, Jenny's F&C all excellent. My wife prefers Barfield meat to Choice Cuts though their Real Patisserie bread and homemade cakes are excellent. The cafe a couple of doors down is good when open. Preston Foods good local corner shop. Cleveland and PV are less poncey than the lady pub (PPT).

We're copying you, in moving from Hanover to Fiveways. 17 years in Hanover and absolutely loved it, but excited about the move, and thanks for the tips.

I won't wish you luck for Wed. Suspect it will be a nervy affair, neither side over-committing, and the same result as at my favourite ground, CC.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Can't emphasise that enough. Lived in Hove (and Brighton for a bit) all my life and been in the Stanmer Park Tavern once.

That was once too many. But Fiveways is a great area. Stick to the Cleveland.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've lived in Fiveways for 30 years. It is perhaps a little more poncey than it was, but it hasn't become massively over-gentrified. I think it always was quite middle-class, although I can't speak for what the area was like in the 1970s.

You can do most of your shopping in the local shops, although it's not as cheap as Asda or Tesco. Still if you can afford it the greengrocers (Fiveways Fruits) is excellent, and there's a new shop where you bring in your containers and they fill them up for you. The bank's closing soon, but I'm hoping for a fishmongers!

The Fiveways pub (Stanmer Park Tavern as was) is roomy, but pretty shit tbh, they could do more with it. Still, it is good for football, and it's not as violent as it used to be (and obviously it's closed at the moment). The Agra takeaway is THE best Indian takeaway in Brighton and Hove. When we visit friends in other parts of the town (in the days when you cold do it) and they'd get in Indian food it was always poor when compared to Agra.

For me the best thing though is the fact that Hollingbury Park, Burstead Woods and the golf course (with the hill fort and its magnificent views) are only a few minutes' away, so a short walk and your away from the built-up area.

The only drawback is it IS up a steep hill. (I can walk down it but I find the climb up a bit of a struggle these days). There are buses, but they're really expensive and they only go North/South, so if you want to go East/West you have to into town and change.

EDIT: Rustica's pizzas are great.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I've lived in Fiveways for 30 years. It is perhaps a little more poncey than it was, but it hasn't become massively over-gentrified. I think it always was quite middle-class, although I can't speak for what the area was like in the 1970s.

You can do most of your shopping in the local shops, although it's not as cheap as Asda or Tesco. Still if you can afford it the greengrocers (Fiveways Fruits) is excellent, and there's a new shop where you bring in your containers and they fill them up for you. The bank's closing soon, but I'm hoping for a fishmongers!

The Fiveways pub (Stanmer Park Tavern as was) is roomy, but pretty shit tbh, they could do more with it. Still, it is good for football, and it's not as violent as it used to be (and obviously it's closed at the moment). The Agra takeaway is THE best Indian takeaway in Brighton and Hove. When we visit friends in other parts of the town (in the days when you cold do it) and they'd get in Indian food it was always poor when compared to Agra.

For me the best thing though is the fact that Hollingbury Park, Burstead Woods and the golf course (with the hill fort and its magnificent views) are only a few minutes' away, so a short walk and your away from the built-up area.

The only drawback is it IS up a steep hill. (I can walk down it but I find the climb up a bit of a struggle these days). There are buses, but they're really expensive and they only go North/South, so if you want to go East/West you have to into town and change.

EDIT: Rustica's pizzas are great.

My old man grew up in Lowther Road, born there in 38, when alive he use to laugh when houses were selling in his street for 200k, goodness what he would think now, he described the area as where the poor working classes use to live, many of them rented out by slum landlords!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Lived in and around Fiveways area most of my Brighton living life before finally succumbing and moving up to London in 2010.

Lived on Sandgate Road opposite Ravens so whilst it is excellent it was a double edged sword of being woken by the smell of baking bread around 5.30am every morning OR at 4.45 when he started baking and crashing about in the back kitchen. Best hot cross buns in Brighton though that’s for sure.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
After a protracted process, we'll be moving into Fiveways next week, and I'd be grateful for recommendations from those with local knowledge. Here's what I do know, and my prejudices are:
-- Flour Pot: having lived 50 metres away from one, I'll now have to travel 150 metres or so, but enjoy their bourgeois bread. Not so keen on Ravens' more traditional style. It does seem that Tilt is popular though.
-- Quaff: decent independent, but nothing compared to Butlers, which is magisterial and was near my doorstep
-- Barfields: been there once, and seems highly rated. What of Choice Cuts?

What is Rustica like?
Fiveways Fruits?
Curry houses?
Other recommendations?

Very harsh about Quaff. Butler's is excellent, and Henry is a lovely bloke. But I always found the staff in Quaff very knowledgeable and, if they didn't stock a particular wine, would try to obtain it for you.

Harsh on Ravens too. Their bread is as good as I have had elsewhere. Their hot cross buns result in the tradition of long queues on Good Friday.

Flour Pot is good. Tilt drove me round the twist. Rude staff, mediocre food, unnecessary prices.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Agree with [MENTION=177]Brovion[/MENTION], the Agra is the best traditional takeaway in town, even if you have to collect yourself - it's worth it.

I think the PPT is getting a bad press here. I like it and the garden area is now perfect for drinking outside in the cold. The Cleveland is a great pub - good landlords.

Barfields over Choice Cuts every day, although as others have said, the deli at Choice Cuts is very good.

And Ravens hot cross buns are amazing (if you can get hold of them)

What's not to like about Fiveways? Nice area, close to the Park and the town; a few decent pubs and the natives all seem friendly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here