Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Councils profiting from parking charges.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
https://www.itv.com/news/london/202...-of-councils-making-huge-profits-from-parking

From the link, Brighton and Hove comes in at 7th with a profit of £24 million in parking charges.
A staggering amount, even though it comes in short of the London Boroughs.
Could be channelled in to improving local roads :shrug:

It will be, money from parking charges is ring fenced for transport.

I don't see the problem myself, the alternative is putting up the council tax and parking charges are a bit fairer

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It will be, money from parking charges is ring fenced for transport.

I don't see the problem myself, the alternative is putting up the council tax and parking charges are a bit fairer

Agree, I'm amazed at the amount of monies involved.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
https://www.itv.com/news/london/202...-of-councils-making-huge-profits-from-parking

From the link, Brighton and Hove comes in at 7th with a profit of £24 million in parking charges.

Not surprised, so much of Brighton is " Zoned " these days and the actual cost of on-street parking is astronomical. So, everyone pays to get a permit to park in their own street that was once free and everyone has to pay when they go to any other zone and park... money for old rope .

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
[u²rl]https://www.itv.com/news/london/2021-01-23/london-boroughs-top-the-list-of-councils-making-huge-profits-from-parking[/url]

You probably have heard everywhere in Bexhill is now pay and display. The Manor Barn car park, which is usually used by many elderly people to park when they go to the doctors/pharmacy is pay and display but there is no ticket machine, you have to use the app, which not only means you have to pay a service charge but obviously you need a smart phone, which basically means hardly any over 70's can park there anymore.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You probably have heard everywhere in Bexhill is now pay and display. The Manor Barn car park, which is usually used by many elderly people to park when they go to the doctors/pharmacy is pay and display but there is no ticket machine, you have to use the app, which not only means you have to pay a service charge but obviously you need a smart phone, which basically means hardly any over 70's can park there anymore.

I know chap, my dad was telling me about it.
It's even down on the seafront, where all go for exercise during these testing times.
All the local free spaces I used to know have gone :)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I know chap, my dad was telling me about it.
It's even down on the seafront, where all go for exercise during these testing times.
All the local free spaces I used to know have gone :)

I only live five minutes walk from the sea front, although there are too many people walking along the prom at the moment so I avoid it

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I only live five minutes walk from the sea front, although there are too many people walking along the prom at the moment so I avoid it

When visiting my mum in care home, we used to meet my dad in Kerry's, quite a nice place to go for a cuppa.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Lots of newer car parks are ANPR , lots of talk of people just dropping off passengers and still being charged. However, this it what local councils have to do these days. Thanks to cuts in central funding they have to make up their cash in other ways, either by selling their car parks to professional car park companies or outsourcing traffic " Wardens " to private companies who then make their money by aggressive enforcement of parking rules. That's rip -off Britain in a nutshell, 5th biggest economy in the world yet most of us are screwed at every level of government as a money making exercise.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
So what they going to do when they ban cars from the city centre? No charges, no fines (other than those for driving into town). Will the car parks become residential (they won’t need any more shops)?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here