Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] World Ping Pong Masters Championships on Sky Sports Mix

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's lockdown, so what better way to spend your time this weekend, outside of Albion, than watching a sport you probably never knew existed and one of the much anticipated highlights of my armchair sport viewing. It's table tennis, with show business pzazz. Different rules, different scoring, bats covered with sandpaper instead of sponge and rubber, noisy crowds (maybe not this year), lights, music and very competitive. Defending champion is Englishman Andrew Baggeley. Why not give it a try?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
:bounce:

My mistake. I thought this was the World Championships. Looks like it's a new 24 player knockout Masters Event run by Matchroom, following the success and viewer appeal of the World Championships. Must admit Mrs Earle and I can't stop watching once it starts.

The fun starts at midday.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
49 yr old Shmyrev just about to play. Always good value, good one to watch.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRdLPj8M1Tg

Jan-Ove Waldner, the only players to win the Euros, the World Cup and the Olympics. Along with Michael Jordan the most famous foreign athlete in China in the 90s. Legend.

Other than him, a few other Swedes, a few Japanese players and a German here and there, China has been the dominant ping pong country for the last 50 years or so.

Very fun sport and very popular over here... to play that is, I dont know anyone who watches it other than in the Olympics.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRdLPj8M1Tg

Jan-Ove Waldner, the only players to win the Euros, the World Cup and the Olympics. Along with Michael Jordan the most famous foreign athlete in China in the 90s. Legend.

Other than him, a few other Swedes, a few Japanese players and a German here and there, China has been the dominant ping pong country for the last 50 years or so.

Very fun sport and very popular over here... to play that is, I dont know anyone who watches it other than in the Olympics.

Great sport. Played a lot of Eastbourne league over the years. Sadly managed to lose the Eastbourne junior final when I was 17 :(

Didn't like the scoring change when it changed from up to 21.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It's lockdown, so what better way to spend your time this weekend, outside of Albion, than watching a sport you probably never knew existed and one of the much anticipated highlights of my armchair sport viewing. It's table tennis, with show business pzazz. Different rules, different scoring, bats covered with sandpaper instead of sponge and rubber, noisy crowds (maybe not this year), lights, music and very competitive. Defending champion is Englishman Andrew Baggeley. Why not give it a try?
Saw Baggers playing at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games and had a chat with him and Drinkhall after their match ups. The 5 of us were the only spectators. Absolutely great day of sportwatching.

Really nice kids (as they were then). Jesus where does the time go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here