Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Silicosis in construction

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yes i’ve seen, hence my currently very high level of anxiety :(

it won't get you until your mid fifties , don't stress over it , when things are back to normal go and get a lung function test , i've been in the building game for over 35 years and probably breathed in all manner of shyte over the years , the man made stone is different though , it's an epoxy product that if breathed in will solidify in the lungs , your body will do its best to absorb /dissolve silica but these new stone products are inert and your body can't deal with them.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
They used to blow car brakes out with air lines in confined areas, pre- brake cleaner and when that came out the acetone would take your head off. I also used to do up most properties I have owned, cement dust, artex dust, plasterboard and mdf to name a few.

I wouldn't recommend it.

hmmmm MDF bad shit that mate...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Interesting read tradies, thank you for enlightening me and stay safe. Bet you’ve meet a few silic**ts in construction too? Different matter though.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The OP did politely answer my question after smart arse [MENTION=323]Normal Rob[/MENTION] had a stab at making me look silly.

sorry my friend, I have zero doubt that you were doing exactly as i said. But don't get yourself giddy over it. Life goes on.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
sorry my friend, I have zero doubt that you were doing exactly as i said. But don't get yourself giddy over it. Life goes on.

Funny that, is it 3 others that also have mentioned not knowing what ‘tradies’ meant?
Any other useful input to this thread from you........no thought not. :yawn:

D

Deleted member 2719

Nope thank you for explaining
Be careful that’s some nasty shite As for the stuff in a domestic situation it can be just as bad

hmmmm MDF bad shit that mate...

Ironic that I have never done drugs, yet I have inhaled a lot of longterm crap. That's what you do to earn a living. that is why I got out and away from that sort of stuff quite a few years ago. But I realise some are locked in these jobs for life.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ironic that I have never done drugs, yet I have inhaled a lot of longterm crap. That's what you do to earn a living. that is why I got out and away from that sort of stuff quite a few years ago. But I realise some are locked in these jobs for life.

yep i'm still at it , and doing the other and drinking like a trooper .....don't smoke though , shyte habit.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Funny that, is it 3 others that also have mentioned not knowing what ‘tradies’ meant?
Any other useful input to this thread from you........no thought not. :yawn:

Oh dear. You got cross. I also did not know what it meant, but I worked it out because it was bloody obvious.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have had my own small business for 19 years, I don’t employ anyone and I mostly do small jobs in occupied homes, so the answer is no to filling in forms.
I do my own risk assessment, for instance i wouldn’t leave an extension lead across a hallway or stairs if I thought the customer may trip over it.
I’m lucky I can pick and choose what I do now, I wouldn’t risk anything I wasn’t happy with.

In the past when working for an employer it wasn’t so easy to just find another job if I wasn’t happy with something.
I walked away from pricing up a bathroom the other day, wanted a wet room on a first floor, taps coming out of walls, radiator halfway up the wall, the smallest tiles in the world! I said thanks but no thanks I'm busy enough doing "standard" bathrooms

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oh dear. You got cross. I also did not know what it meant, but I worked it out because it was bloody obvious.

Well done you......aren’t you a clever boy.
Don’t think I got cross TBH, I think you are making yourself look a bit of a tit though :stupid:

Still no input on the thread topic I see :dunce:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I walked away from pricing up a bathroom the other day, wanted a wet room on a first floor, taps coming out of walls, radiator halfway up the wall, the smallest tiles in the world! I said thanks but no thanks I'm busy enough doing "standard" bathrooms

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I have almost moved away from bathroom installation now, what you have mentioned is awkward, probably ok in a new extension or new build.
The last 2 bathrooms I fitted I didn’t order the materials, both jobs were supplied by different merchants that seemed to struggle getting all the items, or didn’t know when some of the stuff was actually getting delivered.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well done you......aren’t you a clever boy.
Don’t think I got cross TBH, I think you are making yourself look a bit of a tit though :stupid:

Still no input on the thread topic I see :dunce:

Look. It was obvious what the OP meant. You acted like a pedant. I called you out for it. Let's move on shall we. I'll let you have the last word. Fire away...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Not really, not that bad at any rate. and definitely not what i would consider regularly. Worked there 7 years and can remember 10 jobs, 15 max that needed cuts doing. And otherwise i’m «touch wood» quite healthy i think.

I am no expert but 15 times you cut stone in 7 years I would imagine is not without some risk but it's got to be incredibly low, I think I would be far more concerned about Covid19

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
I am no expert but 15 times you cut stone in 7 years I would imagine is not without some risk but it's got to be incredibly low, I think I would be far more concerned about Covid19

Absolutely not the first person to say this. Its just the whole ‘incurable’ ‘progressive’ thing that terrifies me, and the fact theres no test til you have it, nothing you can do about it anyway and no ‘safe’ period. Ie i cant say it was 10 years ago i’ll be fine 🙄

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Absolutely not the first person to say this. Its just the whole ‘incurable’ ‘progressive’ thing that terrifies me, and the fact theres no test til you have it, nothing you can do about it anyway and no ‘safe’ period. Ie i cant say it was 10 years ago i’ll be fine 🙄

Only thing I can say is 40 years ago I worked with three others every Wednesday night for years under a huge machine undertaking maintenance it was dirty horrible work but the overtime money was good, this machine was huge and had rollers steam heated that were covered in asbestos we had paper masks and paper boiler suits but it was so hot they would often not be worn, of the four of us only two are still alive last year one of our four passed with asbestosis and the year before another passed we were told with a none related illness.
I have thought about it from a purely personal perspective and I have two options I could worry or I could just get on with life I choose the later and so far have had a great 40 years I am now 60 and although my health is not quite as good as it was I have no intention popping off any time soon, so my advice I'd just in joy each day as best you can the worst days are never as bad as they seem

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Only thing I can say is 40 years ago I worked with three others every Wednesday night for years under a huge machine undertaking maintenance it was dirty horrible work but the overtime money was good, this machine was huge and had rollers steam heated that were covered in asbestos we had paper masks and paper boiler suits but it was so hot they would often not be worn, of the four of us only two are still alive last year one of our four passed with asbestosis and the year before another passed we were told with a none related illness.
I have thought about it from a purely personal perspective and I have two options I could worry or I could just get on with life I choose the later and so far have had a great 40 years I am now 60 and although my health is not quite as good as it was I have no intention popping off any time soon, so my advice I'd just in joy each day as best you can the worst days are never as bad as they seem

Thanks for sharing that, and it is very good advice. If i got hit by a bus tomorrow my biggest regret would be not being ‘present’ for my kids the day before rather than worrying about an illness i may or may not even get. Thanks Blue :)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Thanks for sharing that, and it is very good advice. If i got hit by a bus tomorrow my biggest regret would be not being ‘present’ for my kids the day before rather than worrying about an illness i may or may not even get. Thanks Blue :)

yeah .....just don't worry about it , coronary health , prostate issues , blood pressure , colon /bowel problems , brain tumours , the list is endless..... you could worry about it all but it's totally pointless .....:thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here