Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Silicosis in construction

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Off topic:
Been reading recently about a lot of tradies working with artificial stone being diagnosed with silicosis.

My concern primarily is that i worked as a landscaper for 7 years between 2004-2011, dry cutting stone and pavers outside whilst only wearing a paper dust mask, which i now know is useless. There wasnt a lot of cutting comparatively, as we did mainly ponds. I just wondered what other tradies experience was with silicosis and exposure to it during the job. I know now best practice is to wet cut/use a vacuum, but i was a young apprentice and did what i was told.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Tradies- Tradespeople- carpenters, plasterers, construction workers etc

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
It’s a major concern that in time ,they predict will as bad if not worse than the asbestosis issues that are still ongoing Have a look at the HSE website there should be some info there that might help The changes in best practice firstly implemented by the major contractors take time to filter down and get adopted by the smaller concerns to one man bands For example face fitted masks are standard procedure FFP3 or even full respirators task dependent Removal from site if not compliant
Rather than a wafer thin FFP1 type you describe Rightly as Not fit for purpose
Damping down areas before sweeping up to minimise dust clouds Or even hoovering up rather than sweeping is becoming the norm

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
It’s a major concern that in time ,they predict will as bad if not worse than the asbestosis issues that are still ongoing Have a look at the HSE website there should be some info there that might help The changes in best practice firstly implemented by the major contractors take time to filter down and get adopted by the smaller concerns to one man bands For example face fitted masks are standard procedure FFP3 or even full respirators task dependent Removal from site if not compliant
Rather than a wafer thin FFP1 type you describe Rightly as Not fit for purpose

Yes i’ve seen, hence my currently very high level of anxiety :(

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Did you end up smothered in dust on a regular basis ?
To the extent where around your eyes would. be covered
Upon removing your mask was it like you d shaved that area in comparison?
Being outside allowed for wind dispersal Is also on your side
If you have any breathing problems or asthma etc
Or have a predilection to get chest infections discuss it with your GP

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Did you end up smothered in dust on a regular basis ?
To the extent where around your eyes would. Be covered
Upon removing your mask it s like you d shaved that area in comparison? Being outside allowed for wind dispersal
Is also on your side
If you have any breathing problems or asthma etc
Or have a predilection to get chest infections discuss it with your GP

Not really, not that bad at any rate. and definitely not what i would consider regularly. Worked there 7 years and can remember 10 jobs, 15 max that needed cuts doing. And otherwise i’m «touch wood» quite healthy i think.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Thank you for the reply, not heard the term before and I’ve worked in the building trade for over 30 years. :thumbsup:

Ah, sorry. I think its an australian/new zealand term really. Been out the country for a few years so lost my english is now tainted 😅 do you have any experience/knowledge of this in your experience? What trade were you in? When i was on the tools everything was dry cut and no one wore masks as far as i can remember.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Not really, not that bad at any rate. and definitely not what i would consider regularly. Worked there 7 years and can remember 10 jobs, 15 max that needed cuts doing. And otherwise i’m «touch wood» quite healthy i think.

Luckily it sounds like your exposure levels are quite low
If you have concerns or anything I previously mentioned Go see a Doctor
Best not say GP he s busy getting ready for Blackpool

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ah, sorry. I think its an australian/new zealand term really. Been out the country for a few years so lost my english is now tainted 😅 do you have any experience/knowledge of this in your experience? What trade were you in? When i was on the tools everything was dry cut and no one wore masks as far as i can remember.

Cheers, that’s why I haven’t heard the term.

I’m a plumber, I fitted a bathroom with someone else last year, it had a worktop that the basin had to be cut into.
The worktop was very heavy and looked like marble but we cut it with a jigsaw, we did cut it outside but there did seem to be plenty of dust.
Not sure there was any warnings on dust when cutting, but I was helping someone else and he unpacked the worktop and looked at the cutting instructions.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Luckily it sounds like your exposure levels are quite low
If you have concerns or anything I previously mentioned Go see a Doctor
Best not say GP he s busy getting ready for Blackpool

Haha, thanks. And i know a forum is not the place to go for medical advice. I have booked a drs appt, but like they said until i show symptoms theres little point in an xray, and i’m already out of the industry so theres not a lot else to do anyway. Just wanted to here peoples experience. I’d never heard of it before.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Haha, thanks. And i know a forum is not the place to go for medical advice. I have booked a drs appt, but like they said until i show symptoms theres little point in an xray, and i’m already out of the industry so theres not a lot else to do anyway. Just wanted to here peoples experience. I’d never heard of it before.

I got stopped by HSE whilst drilling into concrete of an apartment probably 10 years ago
I was wearing a suitable FFP3 mask and the work area was effectively open plan No walls up yet
They were concerned back then It’s only increased over the intervening period

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
I got stopped by HSE whilst drilling into concrete of an apartment probably 10 years ago
I was wearing a suitable FFP3 mask and the work area was effectively open plan No walls up yet
They were concerned back then It’s only increased over the intervening period

Great 😖 hopefully i got away with it. Nothing else to do than be aware of the symptoms now i guess :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here