Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] First and last flights

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
First was about 1988 to Verona, from Gatwick. I was youngish, but I remember throwing up.

First one by myself Sudan Airways, Heathrow to Nairobi via Paris and Khartoum, in 1994.

Last one was Cologne to Stansted, on the very day Boris announced the first lockdown

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
First was Gatwick to Girona - 1981 and last was Gatwick to Budapest - summer 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
1972 Dan Air Comet Gatwick to Girona
March 2020 Easyjet A320 Almeria to Gatwick. It was the last scheduled flight before lockdown and we got the last two seats on it. I fully expected it to be overbooked and to be refused boarding.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
First Flight - London - Vienna ....... September 1978
Last Flight - Venice - London ........ October 17 2020

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've been to Europe a few times since then but by train - I may never take a flight again

Out of interest, how easy is it to arrange train tickets from the UK to, say, Southern Spain ? I tried a couple of years back and couldn't find seats.

Compared to airlines, train travel booking is extraordinarily convoluted.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
First - June 1988 (ish) Gatwick to Gran Canaria, I'm guessing one of the holiday airlines

Last - Feb 2020 Lisbon to Toronto with TAP Air. I had a 24 hour stopover in Lisbon on the way back from The Azores. I'm so glad I managed to get a holiday in before everything stopped.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
First - July 1995: Gatwick to Tenerife, unsure of airline
Last - September 2019: New York/JFK to Heathrow, Virgin upper class (entirely thanks to air miles - as fun as it was I would never pay for it & now I've tried it, I would go for multiple economy flights rather than splurge on 1st/upper class if I ever have that many air miles again)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not counting the numerous pleasure flights out of Shoreham as a kid, I loved flying. Actually going somewhere,
First flight Gatwick - Aden. British United. Brittania. 1965.
Last flight Dubai - Newcastle Boeing 777 Emirates. Final leg returning from Oz. 2017.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

I too was lucky enough to fly on a Bristol Britannia, back in the early 70's, albeit a Monarch Airlines example, from Constanta in Romania to Luton. The Whispering Giants as they were known, were wonderful aircraft to fly on. Such memories.

Yoda

English & European
First flight wasn't until I was 17. Sept 97, Gatwick to Palma de Mallorca. Caledonian Lockheed L-1011 TriStar. < Absolute beauty of a plane.
Last flight Sept 2017. Faro to Gatwick. Norwegian Boeing 737.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
First Heathrow to Vancouver, BA, Friday 13th August,1982
Last, Innsbruck to Gatwick, some sort of charter, Jan 2020

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
First: Gatwick to Corfu - Dan Dare
Latest: Gatwick to Sevilla with Easy Jet

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I too was lucky enough to fly on a Bristol Britannia, back in the early 70's, albeit a Monarch Airlines example, from Constanta in Romania to Luton. The Whispering Giants as they were known, were wonderful aircraft to fly on. Such memories.
They were indeed. In an era where comfort over ruled numbers of passengers. Wide seats,plenty of legroom,I'm 6ft2in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They were indeed. In an era where comfort over ruled numbers of passengers. Wide seats,plenty of legroom,I'm 6ft2in.

Turbo props too

086B7D2A-2CDC-400F-96DD-A6B7B49ED31B.jpeg

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Can't remember exactly when because I was a young kid (definitely mid to late 80's), but somewhere in Spain (might've been Ibiza) from Gatwick at some absurd hour of the morning. No idea of the airline.

Last flight was coming back from a work trip to Dubai last Feb with Turkish Airlines. I normally travel 4 months of the year and have done for quite a while, so staying in one place for a year has been weird.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First was Gatwick to Dussledorf. Easter 1976. No idea what airline. We taxied next to a Big Orange and Freddie Laker's face was everywhere.

Last Edinburgh to Gatwick Feb 2020. Boring work visit although it was in the evening and Edinburgh has an on site Brew Dog so I was probably half pissed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here