Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] First and last flights

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is that through circumstance or conscious decision?
Never had the inclination (or the money) for foreign holidays when I was younger. Fancied the idea of flying less and less as the years passed by. With a (acquired) condition that now affects my hearing, it would probably be a pretty unpleasant experience anyway.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
First: 1964 Luton to Majorca, Monarch Airlines, holiday with my grandparents

Last to date: October 2019, return from Antigua to Gatwick, Virgin, after a couple of weeks at Sandals.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
First flight: Luton to Grenoble 1977 a French exchange - no idea who we flew with
Last flight jan 2020 Cape Town to Manchester with Air France

Next one... who knows had four flights cancelled in the last ten months

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
First one would have been from Gatwick to Guernsey. I remember sod all about it because it was in 1965 and I was a year old.

Last one was February 2020 from Gatwick to Edinburgh. Went to see Edinburgh Rugby v Free State Cheetahs and Hibs v Livingston.

Used to flying up there maybe half a dozen times a season. Lord knows when it'll happen again. Might even go back to using the sleeper train.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
First: 1970 Luton to Santiago de Compostela, Courtline, Holiday.
Last: 12/12/2019, Munich to LHR, BA, work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
First: 1993 Headcorn airfield in Kent for a parachute jump (didn't land in the first plane I went up in)
Last: October 2019 Muscat, Oman to LHR returning from a work trip

getz

Jan 15, 2010
First flight. Heathrow to Stockholm July 1966. British European Airways. First week of the World Cup. A return trip to stay with our Swedish student(male).

Last flight. 2019. EasyJet to Verona to visit Lake Garda.

Tribsa

Dec 20, 2017
That would almost certainly have been a Dan Air HS748, which the airline continued to operate well after their sell by date, from Gatwick to Berne. I remember flying on one from Gatwick to Jersey in the mid 80's, great fun!

Dan Air were an unusual airline, operating a wide variety of somewhat elderly aircraft types, including the Comet 4B, one of which flew into the mountainside whilst attempting to land in Tenerife.

Sadly it was a Boeing 727 that crashed in Tenerife, caused by Pilot and ATC error. it happened in April 1980.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
First Gatwick Majorca cira 1985.
Last Chicago to Gatwick. Feb 2020, was due to go back several times last year, Plan to go back as soon as travel allows.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
First : Manchester-Tunisia - 1982. Thomson Holiday. Economy.

Last : Heathrow-Boston - January 2020. British Airways First - (thanks to Amex for the 2-4-1 voucher, and Avios for the points - both earned over the year spending on cards)

Next : Somewhere cheap with easyJet or similar to get some sun on my bones. I really don't care.

Last edited:

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
First: 31st May 1998 - London-Heathrow (LHR) to Toronto (YYZ) - Canadian Airlines - 5 weeks training for 1st day at new job (which I'm still doing after 22.5 years).
Last: 8th March 2020 - Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Toronto (YYZ) - WestJet - Long weekend to catch up with a good friend and his family.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
First: 21 September 1976, Gatwick to Palma, Mallorca, Dan-Air (awful: hours late, inedible food etc) Comet (OK. First and last chance to fly on one), package deal with Intasun (awful) on honeymoon (awful)

Last: 16 December 2020, Istanbul to Jakarta, Turkish Airlines B787-9 (all fine)

Stumpy Tim

Not sure when my first flight was, but pretty sure it was Heathrow or Gatwick to Gibraltar in the mid-80´s. My last flight was Madrid to Gatwick on March 10th last year, the day Madrid announced their lockdown. I shared that flight with lots of Athletico Madrid fans going to the Liverpool game...

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I have a picture of my first birthday at my Spanish nan's so that would have been 1973. Last one was Jan 2020.

A few posts on here about smoking on flights. I went to the Domincan Republic from Madrid (living there at time) in 2003 and that flight still had a smoking section at the back. Spanish airline. I remember not believing it at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here