Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jim Gannon

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Code:

Strangest guy you could ever meet. He starts applying for other jobs from the very first day he walks through the door at any Club. Then gets surprised when the Owners at that Club find out he is applying for other jobs.

Could this be the reason behind his surprise sacking considering they are 4th in the league and it’s due to “culture”

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
https://theyellowboard.boards.net/thread/4605/next-manager

Sounds like some possibly ITK Stockport fans think that Simon Rusk is the likely replacement.

The natives are impressed:-

That sounds absolutely **** [rhymes with bank].

U23's football isn't proper football and he'll have no idea about this league.

Tip tap overly coached football with people that can't perform it against 11 hairy arsed non league players on shit pitches.

Would be an absolute disaster.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The natives are impressed:-

They seem to want some kind of established, sought after manager like Paul Cook to replace Gannon... not sure they understand where they're at. And Rusk played pretty much his whole career in the lower leagues so he should know what its about.

Looks like there could be something in those rumours though. Wonder who would replace him as Brighton U23 coach.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
They seem to want some kind of established, sought after manager like Paul Cook to replace Gannon... not sure they understand where they're at. And Rusk played pretty much his whole career in the lower leagues so he should know what its about.

Looks like there could be something in those rumours though. Wonder who would replace him as Brighton U23 coach.

There were strong rumours that he was going to Cambridge United almost a year ago, but it didn't happen - Simon Rusk to Cambridge Utd.

A post on that thread suggested he couldn't get a backroom team together, but I don't know if there was any truth in that. He was then linked with Blackpool a short while later, so he is obviously keen to move into (adult) management.

No idea who would replace him; when Simon Ireland moved on, they promoted Rusk internally (from the U-18s). I don't know if Mark Beard is therefore likely to move up (if he does, I think U-16s coach Ben Smith would be a ready-made replacement for the U-18s as he performed the role on an interim basis when Rusk initially replaced Ireland).

At the start of last season, the U-18s were on fire under the joint coaching of Mikey Harris and Beard. Harris then left to join the FA, and the form of the U-18s collapsed. Impossible to say that it was entirely down to Harris leaving, but I wonder if they might attempt to re-hire him if they feel he really was instrumental at that lower level?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There were strong rumours that he was going to Cambridge United almost a year ago, but it didn't happen - Simon Rusk to Cambridge Utd.

A post on that thread suggested he couldn't get a backroom team together, but I don't know if there was any truth in that. He was then linked with Blackpool a short while later, so he is obviously keen to move into (adult) management.

No idea who would replace him; when Simon Ireland moved on, they promoted Rusk internally (from the U-18s). I don't know if Mark Beard is therefore likely to move up (if he does, I think U-16s coach Ben Smith would be a ready-made replacement for the U-18s as he performed the role on an interim basis when Rusk initially replaced Ireland).

At the start of last season, the U-18s were on fire under the joint coaching of Mikey Harris and Beard. Harris then left to join the FA, and the form of the U-18s collapsed. Impossible to say that it was entirely down to Harris leaving, but I wonder if they might attempt to re-hire him if they feel he really was instrumental at that lower level?

And who can really blame him, majority of youth coaches want to take that step at some point. From my understanding a lot of lower league clubs these days ask the FA if they have manager suggestions and in that case DA could possibly have put in a good word or two for Rusk. Likewise with his network, he probably got a replacement lined up if they want to recruit someone externally.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Could this be the reason behind his surprise sacking considering they are 4th in the league and it’s due to “culture”

Was reading an interview the other day unrelated to football by the guying being interviewed was a Stockport fan. He was asked about how they'd go this year and said they've got some decent money behind them now and have splashed a fair bit of it.

The culture comment sounds like something has gone on behind the scenes there.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea

Andrew Crofts would seem the obvious choice

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Quite a meltdown on there. I didn't realise Gannon was so popular.

He's a bit of a Stockport legend, that was his third spell as their manager and he also played nearly 500 games for them during his playing career (scored around 60 goals for them too which isn't bad for a defender). Probably been involved in 1000 Stockport games as both a player and manager. Was interviewed for the job here when we sacked Mickey Adams in 2009, was first choice and offered the job but turned it down to stay at Stockport and we appointed Russell Slade.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Ah, Jim Gannon. I wanted him instead of Poyet - good job I'm not rich enough to buy a football club :lol:

Gannon has done a decent job with very limited resources at every club he managed. I met him once when he was manager of Dundalk in the mid-1980s - seemed like a decent bloke. I am intrigued by the statement saying the reason he was sacked 'centered around culture' - wonder what that means?

I also liked that he refused to do interviews with Sky because they didn't fix his skybox.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Gannon has done a decent job with very limited resources at every club he managed. I met him once when he was manager of Dundalk in the mid-1980s - seemed like a decent bloke. I am intrigued by the statement saying the reason he was sacked 'centered around culture' - wonder what that means?

I also liked that he refused to do interviews with Sky because they didn't fix his skybox.

Maybe thats one of those things. Seems they got a new owner who is investing a bit of money and perhaps wants to make Stockport a big club, meaning they have to get rid of characters like that. A bit of gentrification, or soul-draining to use another word.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here