Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter's Blackpool Press Conference

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOloQNd3HTo

Important parts bolded, Graham Potters brain in italics.

Journo asks if Potter is going to change the team again, Potter says he will try to pick the right team and win the game.

Journo asks if Potter is going to start with Steele again, Potter says that he is ill and wont play and that Rob Sanchez or Christian Walton will play.

As for Blackpool, they are a good team.

Journo asks if Potter would have preferred another PL game now, Potter says he is not in control of the calendar.

Question about Tariqs new contract, Potter says its good for him and for the club and that is good to see him tied to the club for the short-medium future.

Journo asks about Bernardo, what the thinking was and if there is a chance he will come back. Potter says Bernardo wanted regular game time and they were not able to guarantee that and that its good for him to go play some football and "then we can see" (mate does it seem like I want him around? But sure if he turns into Roberto Carlos in the next six months, who knows).

With Karbo coming to replace him, journo asks if they will be looking to sign more players if anyone else is leaving. Potter says "no, no, we're fine numbers wise" (I have about 30 players, I dont need any more... unless dirty good).

Follow up question about Moises Caicedo, Potter smiles a bit when the question is asked. Potter says "there's always a bit of speculation but until he's a Brighton player, I've got nothing to say about it really, sorry I cant elaborate on that" (he is coming but its the policy of any sensible football club not to comment on specific players potentially signing).

Journo comments on Potter's use of the words "...until he is a Brighton player", Potter smiles it off and says "excuse me, should have said until anyone is a Brighton player" (oops).

Journo asks "there's a possibility he will be a Brighton player?", Potter keeps looking like "he's ours and we both know it but I cant speak about it" and says "anything is possible" (especially this thing, as its happening).

Injury news. No Connolly, no Lallana, no Welbeck and no Lamptey for the weekend. Aaron just resuming training, Lallanas been feeling poorly (aka sick) and needs some training time before he is ready again. Danny is making progress "a little bit slower than we thought" and will be out for a couple of weeks (or months, or years), similar for Tariq. Journo interrupts Potter - I was hoping he would say something about Andone/Izquierdo - about Adam Lallana it sounds like, Potter says "Ali will be out for a couple of weeks"... bit confusing.

Journo asks about GPs strategy to incorporate new players into the squad. GP says its in some ways the worst possible time, because "the world is set up not to connect and not to build relationships, so they have to do it on the pitch in a socially distanced manner". Goes on to say that first and foremost its about adjusting to the team, the club, the country etc. and that "to be fair Johnny (you're the least worst journo around so I'm going to be friendly and refer to you as Johnny... Johnny), its a case by case thing who will be able to make minutes". No general strategy, need to look at every player individually and see what the right thing to do is.

Johnny the Journo mentions that GP mentioned "Sanchez and Walton" and asks about the latest with Mat Ryan. GP says "nothing to report at the moment... Johnny" (love u) but that they understand Ryans position.

Johnny asks if GP thinks the cup becomes more important the longer it goes on. GP says they want to win and only think about the Blackpool game etc.

Johnny then asks more about Blackpool, GP says (and I'm not lying this time either) that he is impressed what he's seem while analysing them, Neil Critchley has made a goob job and that they had a slow start to the league but their form has really picked up.

Johnny says goodbye and non-Johnny journo asks about if GP is surprised with how well Lamptey settled in. GP says that when he first came "you never know" but that they knew of his attributes and only had to find ways where he could use his qualities as much as possible.

Journo asks what Lamptey needs to improve and GP says he basically needs to play more games in the Premier League but that Tariq has great mentality and would say that he could improve every single area of his game.

Journo says bla bla Bernardo Silva bla bla, do you think there's any issues with the laws of the game? GP says that "the only issues with the rules of the games is that sometimes the guys involved in the game dont know the laws of the game, and I include myself and thats why I'm never so vociferous on the side against referees, because I cant say that I know every single rule of the game... and certainly that law yesterday, I can see why Dean Smith got perplexed by it but ultimately if that is the law, then that is the law whether you think its a good one or not.

Journo then asks again about the xfer window and if they are happy or if there are "a few more in the pipeline". GP says that he is happy but as long as the window is open there is always the opportunity for players to come in or to leave and that the way the market works you have to be ready to react if you need to.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] actually makes these things sound interesting.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Nice work :clap2::clap2::clap2:

It would actually be great to have this real-time on the actual feed, or as subtitles. :)

Not really possible, is it. I'm reminded of an episode of the Simpsons where Homer is given a crash-course in animated show production (such as for The Itchy and Scratchy Show). He asks if they are broadcast live, and gets told no, as it would place a terrible strain on the animators' wrists! :lol:

Jimmy Grimble

So no Lamptey, Lallana or Welbeck for Fulham either then by the sounds of it.

Damn.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Played Swanny.

Ha, “Johnny” is Johnny Canter from Radio Sussex I believe. Commentates on our games and does lot of interviews with those at the club. I think he is actually quite friendly with GP, hence the (comical way you portrayed) his “Johnny”’s.

He’s at every presser, and usually asks softball questions.

Disappointed no one asked if he’d use the game to give experience to any of our u23’s. But I suspect he will. Hopefully Khadra, Jenks, Yapi, Dedoncker and Ella feature in some capacity.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The normal Potter verbal diarrhea Press Conference. I was distracted after 11 minutes with the urge to paint my shed door.

Unless you're a Mourinho type, these things are pretty much a waste of time. Bland comments on anything that's already known (Lamptey contract), injury update (always a bit vague), platitudes about the opposition. Rinse and repeat. Might as well tweet an injury update and have done with it. Not sure what people expect him to say.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The normal Potter verbal diarrhea Press Conference. I was distracted after 11 minutes with the urge to paint my shed door.

I was eyeing up a tin of gloss as I clicked on the thread. Thankfully Swanny nailed the detail in a 1 minute read, and tat was whilst daydreaming of gloss drying on a cold dark day. :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here