Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] iPhone Help

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Just received an iPhone 12, all good, did the transfer over from the X, no problem, very simple. My problem is whether I use my old or new sim, because whichever one I use I can't get any phone bars on my new phone. Yes, I'm of a more mature age!

* Yes .... I did turn it off, and back on again.

** No, it's not an Omsung Phine

**** Yes, I know, but I do like Apple products

***** Cheese & Branston, on White, Ready Salted & Ribena Light

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Just received an iPhone 12, all good, did the transfer over from the X, no problem, very simple. My problem is whether I use my old or new sim, because whichever one I use I can't get any phone bars on my new phone. Yes, I'm of a more mature age!

* Yes .... I did turn it off, and back on again.

** No, it's not an Omsung Phine

**** Yes, I know, but I do like Apple products

***** Cheese & Branston, on White, Ready Salted & Ribena Light

I’ve recently upgraded from XR to 12 but didn’t get a new sim I was told to use the original, have you changed provider?

Btw I love my 12, great phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I’ve recently upgraded from XR to 12 but didn’t get a new sim I was told to use the original, have you changed provider?

Btw I love my 12, great phone.

No, no change of provider, just phones. Done the switch tried new SIM and old phone still working, took old sim out and put in new phone, still no signal bars?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Have you paid the Apple 'New handset connection charge' of £499 + VAT?

Of course, but the first bloke I paid said I had to pay another £289 to his Brother, is that correct?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You should just be able to put your old sim in and off you go.

Why / who sent you a new sim ?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
No, no change of provider, just phones. Done the switch tried new SIM and old phone still working, took old sim out and put in new phone, still no signal bars?

Mmm, a quick call to your provider should solve the issue, one final thing, have you signed out of iCloud on the old phone and reset it?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Full signal here.

4F385243-DF62-4D96-BD25-F5A675E8CF18.jpeg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Mmm, a quick call to your provider should solve the issue, one final thing, have you signed out of iCloud on the old phone and reset it?

Will do, and yes I have, thank you.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You should just be able to put your old sim in and off you go.

Why / who sent you a new sim ?

All via O2, been with them for years. I have called them and they said they need to activate the new sim? Takes up to 24 hours!

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Assuming new phone isn't locked to another provider, on your old phone go to Settings/Mobile Data and make a note of the settings. Put the sim in new phone & repeat, see what the difference is. Take note to see if the 'SIM PIN' is in use on old phone, if so i think you need to enter the Sim Pin on new phone.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
All via O2, been with them for years. I have called them and they said they need to activate the new sim? Takes up to 24 hours!

Very irritating, pleased you got it sorted and can start enjoying your new tech, it’s much lighter than my old XR, also I got £250 for my old XR

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Spooky. My shiny new iPhone 12 arrived this morning as well. No new SIM though. Data transfer from old to new went smoothly, took sim out of old phone and put it in new one, and jobs a goodun :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Hi,
Why should you sign out of icloud and reset the old phone?

Genuine question, as I recently got by daughter a new iphone. Other than moving the O2 sim across, we’ve simply ignored the old phone since, no actions taken with it.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Hi,
Why should you sign out of icloud and reset the old phone?

Genuine question, as I recently got by daughter a new iphone. Other than moving the O2 sim across, we’ve simply ignored the old phone since, no actions taken with it.

What are your plans for the old phone?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Spooky. My shiny new iPhone 12 arrived this morning as well. No new SIM though. Data transfer from old to new went smoothly, took sim out of old phone and put it in new one, and jobs a goodun :thumbsup:

The transfer is incredible isn’t it, to think back in the day you used to have to write all your contacts down etc and even the iPhone 3 transferred to 4 I had to remember which apps, these days even your settings are transferred to new phone

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What are your plans for the old phone?

Will look to sell, it’s the old style SE, about 4 years old. Obviously, I’d clear everything and reset first.

A long story, but I couldn’t do the sell back to O2 scheme, because the new iphone 11 was a surprise b’day pressie and O2 directly didn’t have the phone I wanted prior to the b’day so I went elsewhere. Missing out on their generous part ex scheme.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here