Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Very important "Guess Who" question.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Hello NSC. Please settle an argument.

Is this a valid question in a game of Guess Who:

"Is the person wearing either a hat or glasses?"

It's causing the MBH household to be ripped apart at the seams.

81Dm-3ly-dL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I believe a binary search is valid in Guess Who but may not be the best strategy.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1509.03327 (if someone wants to read the whole 13 page study by someone from Cornell University then feel free)

Providing you can answer yes or no then question should be allowed under the rules, but an either/or question would be frowned upon in my household.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Have they lost their willy

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just read the instructions and there is no debate. The ONLY stipulation is that the question must have a yes or no answer. So that is a perfectly valid question. You could also ask - Is it one of Richard, George, Eric or Bill?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Hello NSC. Please settle an argument.

Is this a valid question in a game of Guess Who:

"Is the person wearing either a hat or glasses?"

It's causing the MBH household to be ripped apart at the seams.

81Dm-3ly-dL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

No no no... simple...

may as well just ask is the person wearing hat glassed, has hair and brown eyes?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Now that it seems to have been clarified that the question is cheating, the next question is on what side of the argument does MattBackHome sit?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Now that it seems to have been clarified that the question is cheating, the next question is on what side of the argument does MattBackHome sit?
It appears I'm outnumbered chez MBH and I'm outnumbered here. I might have to move out and join the BBS or something.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Technically not cheating, and question with a yes or know answer is OK I believe.

Is it in the true spirit of the game ? Is it ****.

You should allow your unscrupulous family member the question, but make it crystal clear they have done the football equivalent of a Grealish.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Cheating.
Answer must be yes or no so you can't ask multiple questions.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Cheating.
Answer must be yes or no so you can't ask multiple questions.

Yes you can. For example - are you a Brighton fan and a human? The answer is Yes. This is a computing AND gate where two inputs result in one output. If both questions result in the affirmative then the answer is yes. If either or both are no then the answer is no.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Definitely not. That’s two questions in one.

Although me and friends like to play Guess Who with alternative questions, such as

Do they have an expression like they just left the gas on?
Do you reckon they’d like Coldplay?

Can make it tricky but a lot more fun. Also got my brother the BHA Guess Who?, so when we can, we’ll do questions like;

Would you trust them to score in a 1-on-1? (If yes, knock down pretty much all of them...)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Phrase the question "Is the person wearing anything above their neck" to shut up those who think it is cheating.

Edit: this should return a yes for earrings too though.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Phrase the question "Is the person wearing anything above their neck" to shut up those who think it is cheating.

Edit: this should return a yes for earrings too though.
Yes this is a great solution. I just need to find a way of phrasing the question without the word "or" in it.

I still don't think it's cheating but am accepting the democratic decision of NSC (and submitting once more to the iron will of Mrs MBH)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here