Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion donate £25k for home school laptops

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Out of interest, what’s the shortfall? Take Sussex for example, how many children are without laptops who need them?

The government promised a million. I saw a recent report saying just over 800,000 had been delivered so far.

It's estimated 1.5 - 1.8 million children didn't have access to laptops before this roll out, so even the government's promise - while taking up a lot of slack - doesn't cover everyone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The government promised a million. I saw a recent report saying just over 800,000 had been delivered so far.

It's estimated 1.5 - 1.8 million children didn't have access to laptops before this roll out, so even the government's promise - while taking up a lot of slack - doesn't cover everyone.

Disappointing. And lower-income families will obviously be more impacted by this. Is there any specific charity or organisation addressing this? I know the Albion one has made a donation but if what if I someone wants to give specifically to help with laptops... what should they do?

Is there a standard lap-top the schools use?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Disappointing. And lower-income families will obviously be more impacted by this. Is there any specific charity or organisation addressing this? I know the Albion one has made a donation but if what if I someone wants to give specifically to help with laptops... what should they do?

I doubt that the level of laptop required is going to be of the highest spec, but I guess you'd have to speak to the school in question.

My partner is a primary school teacher, and I know that she has to prepare lessons online AND paper versions to post out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There are two or three charities mentioned in this article. One of them recycles old devices, cleans them and then donates to schools.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/charities-forced-plug-school-laptop-23280135

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
Yes, a great initiative from the club.

But why is the club having to buy laptops for kids that the government promised to supply many months ago?

It's a good question, but with Boris at the helm, do you actually expect them to finish any project?

The club stepping in to show the government how it's done is a marvellous thing.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A good news thread that has quickly turned political quite literally ffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Everything is political..... with a small p. People might say they are not interested in politics, then moan about what is going on, which they might have affected with a vote.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
How is it political?

The Government promised laptops for kids, they haven’t delivered.
Private firms and charities are stepping in to fill the gap because of that.

Not political at all.

Is this an attempt at a whoosh or are you just daft?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here