Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion's BEST ever January signing

Who is Albion's BEST ever January signing?

• Leonardo Ulloa (Jan 2013)

Votes: 32 11.4%
  • Dale Stephens (Jan 2014)

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • Anthony Knockaert (Jan 2016)

Votes: 168 59.8%
  • Jurgen Locadia (Jan 2018)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Tariq Lamptey (Jan 2020)

Votes: 52 18.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
6+ years and 200+ appearances :shrug:

Go Dale

One thing the stats can’t show is the transformative effect that Knockaert had on the club at the time. After years of near misses there was a sense that promotion would never happen for us.

Knockaert changed that and made the fans and team believe. The 18 months he was with is in the Championship were just incredibly special, he was regularly unplayable and we went on a real emotional journey with him.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
One thing the stats can’t show is the transformative effect that Knockaert had on the club at the time. After years of near misses there was a sense that promotion would never happen for us.

Knockaert changed that and made the fans and team believe. The 18 months he was with is in the Championship were just incredibly special, he was regularly unplayable and we went on a real emotional journey with him.

This.

Knockeart was simply magic in the Championship for us. At times, as crazy as it sounds, he felt like our Messi at that level. Electric when he got the ball. Total definition of a game changer, and had a really good way of connecting with all the fans.

Dale has always been a brilliant pro, and was underrated especially in our promotion drive, but not magical or as defining in the same way Knocky was.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Literally forgot we're still in an open transfer window until I saw this.

Anyone else?

It's tricky to see past Knocky in terms of actual achievements - a huge part of why we went up.

I'm abstaining until I hear more viewpoints.

Think it will pick up in the last week with clubs meeting to cut players.

Beram Kayal for me

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Knockaert then Stephens for all the reasons that have already been mentioned.

I'd like to add Chris Hughton too if that's allowed. I think he officially joined or took charge in January?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Knockaert then Stephens for all the reasons that have already been mentioned.

I'd like to add Chris Hughton too if that's allowed. I think he officially joined or took charge in January?

Post 34, it was December.

Someone mentioned Calde. He signed in January 2010 when we were fighting relegation to League Two. The following season we were League One Champions at a canter.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
There's a weak argumant the deal to secure Peter Ward was done over the winter of 1974/5 . . . . .

Careful. You’re in danger of implying that there were transfers before there were transfer windows.

A spell on the naughty step for you!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Post 34, it was December.

Someone mentioned Calde. He signed in January 2010 when we were fighting relegation to League Two. The following season we were League One Champions at a canter.

31st. To be fair, the ink may not have dried and fax gone thorugh legibily until 1st Jan :glare:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I've changed my mind. Glenn the first time round was in January. He got us promoted twice and there are very few players in the club's history who have had such a long term impact. When he joined we were 12th in League One. He was at the heart of every promotion we've achieved and perhaps more importantly, survival in the PL would have been impossible without his clinical finishing. 287 games and 111 goals at three levels. The club's post-war top scorer and probably one of the only players to be adored on both sides of the M23.

Knocky, Dale, Leo and Beram were marvellous but Glenn is arguably the club's greatest ever striker (at least in the modern era - I'm sure plenty of people will argue for Peter Ward). At £300k, I'm not sure that Dick Knight would've quite foreseen the impact he'd end up having.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've changed my mind. Glenn the first time round was in January. He got us promoted twice and there are very few players in the club's history who have had such a long term impact. When he joined we were 12th in League One. He was at the heart of every promotion we've achieved and perhaps more importantly, survival in the PL would have been impossible without his clinical finishing. 287 games and 111 goals at three levels. The club's post-war top scorer and probably one of the only players to be adored on both sides of the M23.

Knocky, Dale, Leo and Beram were marvellous but Glenn is arguably the club's greatest ever striker (at least in the modern era - I'm sure plenty of people will argue for Peter Ward). At £300k, I'm not sure that Dick Knight would've quite foreseen the impact he'd end up having.

If you're being picky, we signed Glenn the 2nd time round during the Jan window, albeit that we were converting his loan to a permanent.

el punal

Knocky

Purely because he turned us from a good team to an excellent one. Did for us what Grealish does for Villa and Zaha does for Palace.

He was the difference maker on so many occasions in the champ and lifted others confidence and performance.

Absolutely. The biggest shame was in the end he couldn’t cut it in the Premier League. Be it for personal reasons or lack of guile the magic left him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here