Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion's BEST ever January signing

Who is Albion's BEST ever January signing?

• Leonardo Ulloa (Jan 2013)

Votes: 32 11.4%
  • Dale Stephens (Jan 2014)

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • Anthony Knockaert (Jan 2016)

Votes: 168 59.8%
  • Jurgen Locadia (Jan 2018)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Tariq Lamptey (Jan 2020)

Votes: 52 18.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Ulloa for me, if we’d signed him 6 months earlier we’d have pissed the league that season. Then went on to sell him for a massive profit which you could argue was then used to reinvent the squad after the Hyypia disaster

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Knocky for me. When he arrived that season we had gone 5-6 games without scoring and were slipping out of the top 6. I can't imagine anyone else having such an effect in the next season and a half, unless maybe we'd managed to sign VVD in the same window we signed Ulloa.

Looking at the names on that list, it seems like we've made some of our most significant signings over the last 10 years in January. And doesn't include players like Upson, Sidwell and Kayal

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Has to be Kayal. Would have been in League One without him. The beginning of the promotion squad signings. Dirt cheap for what he brought too.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If I wasn't a sucker for FLAIR who loves the sight of a full back ending up on their ARSE I'd vote Stephens.

But I am, so the Frenchman gets my vote.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Literally forgot we're still in an open transfer window until I saw this.

Anyone else?

Yes! Earlier this week I actually found myself googling to check that the transfer window was open yet. It's so quiet across all clubs I wondered if it had been pushed back this season.

ps) Stephens. When you look at the number of games he went on to play for the club, eventually taking us into the Premier League, he was a great signing.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Knocky - that magic which turned games, makes me more sad that he was binned off by potter without a chance. He was certainly not our worst player in the 2 PL seasons he played under Hughton but an easy victim of the new regime. I know people will say look at him now but personally i think that was as a direct consequence of being let go and that destroyed the arrogance that he had which made him such a good player for us.

We could do with him now with the Crystal Palace away type go - run , beat players and shoot on target.

I’m a big Potter fan but do agree with this.

Knocky was never given time on the field under GP. One suspects he was binned for his manner of the field, or character. He’ll always be a legend though.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Did we get Murray in January?
If we did he would be a good choice.
Even though he left and came back, the original signing set the foundations for his legendary status(please ignore if I'm wrong about him signing in January lol).
Great shout by A1X regarding kayak.
Everyone was buzzing when he signed,was very exciting having a player from Celtic with champions League experience under his belt and he impressed from his first game.
I can't disagree with knockheart and Stephens choices but my heart is telling me ulloa.
He looked absoloute quality,scored some great goals.
His song was also the first time the amex really got rocking on a regular basis.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Did we get Murray in January?
If we did he would be a good choice.
Even though he left and came back, the original signing set the foundations for his legendary status(please ignore if I'm wrong about him signing in January lol).
Great shout by A1X regarding kayak.
Everyone was buzzing when he signed,was very exciting having a player from Celtic with champions League experience under his belt and he impressed from his first game.
I can't disagree with knockheart and Stephens choices but my heart is telling me ulloa.
He looked absoloute quality,scored some great goals.
His song was also the first time the amex really got rocking on a regular basis.

According to Wiki yes twice. Joined us 25 January 2008.
Then joined us July 2016 but was made permanent Jan 2017.

I take back my Knockaert vote

May 5, 2020
Sussex

If wiki is correct(I think it is,I do vaguely remember someone being made permanent in January)then it's got to be Murray. Won the league and Got us into the championship,left and went undercover behind enemy lines(can't of been easy pretending he was enjoying himself there), then came back and got us into the premier League,kept us in the premier League and became our top goalscorer.
Lamptey has to go some to beat that.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Yep, first signed in January, I remember being at his debut at Northampton. The spearhead of that amazing Poyet promotion team (why did we let him go....)

But not taking back my Knockaert vote :p

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Can't believe Jurgen is only on three votes...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here