Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion's BEST ever January signing

Who is Albion's BEST ever January signing?

• Leonardo Ulloa (Jan 2013)

Votes: 32 11.4%
  • Dale Stephens (Jan 2014)

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • Anthony Knockaert (Jan 2016)

Votes: 168 59.8%
  • Jurgen Locadia (Jan 2018)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Tariq Lamptey (Jan 2020)

Votes: 52 18.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
90min puts Tariq Lamptey at the top of the list (full article here):

"Pipping Dale Stephens to the post for the honour of Brighton's best January buy is Tariq Lamptey, who arrived on the south coast on deadline day in 2020.

The Seagulls landed one of the most exciting young full-backs in English football for just £4m, and he has instantly taken to life in the top flight with his quality going forward and dogged defensive ability - and has the potential to be an asset for Brighton for years to come."​

Who is yours?

(Poll en route)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Literally forgot we're still in an open transfer window until I saw this.

Anyone else?

It's tricky to see past Knocky in terms of actual achievements - a huge part of why we went up.

I'm abstaining until I hear more viewpoints.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
not much use if he's broken. but yes, a good signing.

not much competition really, we don't do businees when its dark and cold, Lizards tend to lay dormant until the sun comes out.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Oof, that's a tough choice! I'm going with Knockaert on the grounds that he was (arguably) the signing that super-charged our promotion push that year, and carried us to actual promotion the following year. Not the best player on that list, but the biggest impact on the Albion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Beram Kayal for me, marked the start of the turnaround after the car crash under Hyppia and showed a real statement of intent to give Hughton what he needed, which then led to the likes of Knockaert and ultimately promotion

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Has to be Dale S. for price, length of service, appearances and importance to what the team achieved during his time with us. IMHO like.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
‘Best’ Tariq in terms of qualities as a player. I have voted accordingly.
‘Most important’ and I would have gone for Knockeart as he was the magic ingredient that ultimately won us promotion. In that context he certainly was one of our best signings. I am also hoping that I get to watch Tariq play live because at the moment those memories of actually being in the ground to watch AK’s performances make them all the more special.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Knocky

Purely because he turned us from a good team to an excellent one. Did for us what Grealish does for Villa and Zaha does for Palace.

He was the difference maker on so many occasions in the champ and lifted others confidence and performance.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Lamptey has a long way to go until he has the same impact that Knockaert had. He transformed the team and with Glenn (who's return was technically a January permanent signing if not really) catapulted us into the Premier League. I'd put Tariq below everyone on that list bar Locadia - he's only played 19 games so far!

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Knocky for the impact. It felt like he took us to another level. In terms of week in week out impact, Dale. Both fantastic players for us.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There's a weak argumant the deal to secure Peter Ward was done over the winter of 1974/5 . . . . .

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can fully understand the argument for Knocky - it is of course a very powerful one.

But, for me, Knocky may well not have been able to perform to the level he did without a strong midfield to feed him and back him up. You can pick your favourite Stephens/Kayal, Stephens/Sidwell, Stephens/Pröpper pairing any time you wish, but make no mistake, the high-level common denominator here is Dale Stephens.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Dale Stephens was a superb player for us, Beram Kayal as well. Those two are very important January signings and Leonardo Ulloa was close to firing us to promotion and turned us a lovely profit. Lamptey is an outstanding young player and in a year or so he'll probably be a deserving holder of this title. For now, however, Anthony Knockaert deserves this award. He was incredible for us and he will forever be associated with only our second ever promotion winning team from the second tier to the first.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Has to be knocky as he was the final piece in the jigsaw, the magic we needed.

The Stephens/Kayal axis proved that whilst it was brilliantly solid, it didn’t come with the creativity that resulted in assists & goals galore, we needed Knocky for that ( along with Murray’s goals).

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Knocky.

Young Tariq filed away under "too soon to tell". Time will tell - in a year or two, a re-run of this could be very one-sided if he fulfills the potential shown so far.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Lewes_0_BHA_0_18_July_2015-1173_(19874711811).jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here