Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Long Haul, Chaps.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They wont make Xmas mistake twice so anticipate Easter at home or, at best, meet outside. As a cafe owners in rural Dorset with low infection rate and a low Tier, we reckon we might just be allowed to open outside by Easter.

I'm more optimistic than that. 10 weeks until easter weekend, and at current vaccination rates around 22m adults will have received their first jab by then and have had 3 weeks to let it bake and build up a significant level of immunity (even without the 2nd jab to take it to 95%). Hopefully the most vulnerable will have received their 2nd jab by then. I reckon we'll see a return of table service in pubs, bars and restaurants by then.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
He can only select when he wants to open when he's allowed to by the Gov. Even they don't know yet.

Correct, my point is he can decide when he wishes to, within the law, of course. A mate of mine knows he's not opening until at least 1 Apr, because he's already decided that, if the law doesn't allow that it'll be longer, of course.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Absolutely, but he’s only passing on what he’s been told by the brewery, worst case scenario if you like. It’s as random as trying to predict where the Albion will finish in the table at the end of the season - all of us hoping for the best but aware that the shit could hit the fan as well.

12th

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I doubt schools will be fully open until after the Easter holidays which is 19th April.

Therefore I doubt pubs, restaurants etc will be open until end of May?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
This thread is a bit like the ones where people speak with great authority about how much player X earns.

No one knows! If Boris comes out and says pubs can open tomorrow they will. If he says they can't open until May it'll be May.

Found this on my phone the other day from April

IMG_8511.jpg

I'll await all the comments about the Sun not being a credible source but the every media outlet was getting Johnny Rentaquote to make predictions on when such and such would be back to normal and its exactly the same now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
1800 people died from it yesterday and people are thinking about when the pubs are going to open.

Not really - the OP started a discussion specifically about a a pub opening. Most are just generally more interested in how and when lockdown starts to ease - even thinking about it is giving me at least some crumbs of comfort and optimism for now. I guess you think no-one should be looking at holiday brochures, planning family events etc for later in the year either. It's all some people have got to keep them sane.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Whilst out shopping (essential and nearby!)) l saw my local pub landlord. After exchanging pleasantries I asked him when did he think he’d be reopening. Not until May at the earliest he replied. So, there you have it. :down:

P.S. Unless of course anyone else can dispute this or offer any other words of hope and encouragement in these dark days.

There you have what exactly ? The opinion of one pub landlord. :shrug:

What info did he have to back that up ?
Might be correct.....might not (he doesn’t know)
Might be a freeholder or part of a chain adopting it’s own policy
Might be regional variations when the time comes
Might be partial reopening
He might choose not to reopen when he can
Has he heard anything official or is he guessing like the rest of us ?

Believe that publican was probably basing it off what was in the press not too long ago: https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Ar...restaurants-in-England-may-not-open-until-May

Nothing officially confirmed, mind, but knowing how our current Tory overlords operate I wouldn't mind betting that this was a controlled leak to test how the public would react to that sort of timeline.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not really - the OP started a discussion specifically about a a pub opening. Most are just generally more interested in how and when lockdown starts to ease - even thinking about it is giving me at least some crumbs of comfort and optimism for now. I guess you think no-one should be looking at holiday brochures, planning family events etc for later in the year either. It's all some people have got to keep them sane.

I take your point and maybe I took the wrong view but coming as it has after the increase in deaths it does seem bad timing but I also think we may have to recognise that what was normal may no longer be the 'norm'. Part of our problem is tht many people either don't recognise the seriousness of the pandemic or maybe don't care.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I'm more optimistic than that. 10 weeks until easter weekend, and at current vaccination rates around 22m adults will have received their first jab by then and have had 3 weeks to let it bake and build up a significant level of immunity (even without the 2nd jab to take it to 95%). Hopefully the most vulnerable will have received their 2nd jab by then. I reckon we'll see a return of table service in pubs, bars and restaurants by then.

Good for you. May being talked about today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here