Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Can an Amazon Firestick die?

I bought a Firesticka few years ago, the old version with two lines of three buttons and shorter than the new ones, but it's frozen on me. Ive tried restting, unplugging, hitting it with a hammer and swearing but I can't unfreeze it

I only use it for ITV hub, UKTV play and occasionally iPlayer so I haven't downloaded any dodgy software. The only thing I have downloaded is a BT Sport app which works fine (when not freezing).

When I bought my first Kindle it lasted about three years before it stopped working and when I spoke to Amazon they told me to buy a new one which I did. Is this the same solution to my freezing firestick? Or is there anything else I can try?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tried this : ?

Turn on your Amazon Fire Stick device.

Get your FireStick remote control and press at the same time the select button and the Play or Pause Button.

Press the said button for more or less 5 to 10 seconds and wait until your Fire TV stick turns off and eventually restarts.

Tried this : ?

Turn on your Amazon Fire Stick device.

Get your FireStick remote control and press at the same time the select button and the Play or Pause Button.

Press the said button for more or less 5 to 10 seconds and wait until your Fire TV stick turns off and eventually restarts.

Yep, I already tried that but it didn't work

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Have you tried it in a different USB slot.

when you switched it off leave it for at least a minute.

Is it playing then stops?

How long ago did you put the bt sports app on - change is a great way to knacker things

does it work then freeze or does it just not start...

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Occasionally the remote may need re-pairing with the device. This may be what's happened to yours.

First, check the batteries in the remote haven't died.

If they're still live, unplug and plug back in your device.

From the home screen, hold down the Home button on the remote for 20 seconds. (Sometimes 30 to 40 seconds are needed)

A message will appear in the bottom right of the screen to confirm when pairing is complete.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yep, I already tried that but it didn't work

Batteries in the remote is about the only other thing I can suggest.

They are pretty basic bits of kit so aside from doing the hard reset I don't think there is much else you can do other than buy a new one.

Word of warning don't get tempted getting cheap one off eBay. My Mrs bought me a 4k one from eBay for about a tenner cheaper than Amazon sell them. Thing wouldn't work as it had been blocked by Amazon. Turns out there is scam where they buy them get refunded but don't send them back and resell them.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Word of warning don't get tempted getting cheap one off eBay. My Mrs bought me a 4k one from eBay for about a tenner cheaper than Amazon sell them. Thing wouldn't work as it had been blocked by Amazon. Turns out there is scam where they buy them get refunded but don't send them back and resell them.

Good to know, thanks

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if swearing at it didnt work, must be dead.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So you've turned it off and on again. It didn't work. It's f@@ked.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
I changed the batteries, still frozen.

Plugged the stick into the other socket on the back of the TV, still frozen/

I think Trump must have turned it off when he left the White House

Disconnect the power, then reconnect.

Upon start up hold down the Home button until the remote has re-paired to the device.

This will sort it.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
No, still frozen

If when you reconnect the device to the mains you are seeing the fire tv animation, then the stick still has life in it and the problem is remote related.

If the device is not showing any signs of life, it may be kaputt.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Can an Amazon Firestick die?

Yep!

jho2c22.gif

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you can justify the extra £10 get the 4K one as it has a faster processor and works great with IPTV if you ever go down that route. ( but the HD one is OK)

This. The 4k on it is great, got it for £30 on the black Friday weekend. And IPTV is bloody marvellous, about to fire it up for the City vs Villa game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here