Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our strongest XI

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
It's interesting that we pretty much all agree on seven of the back eight. Just some debate about whether White plays in midfield or not (yes against teams that aim to score on transition and Burn in the back three, no if they dont with Propper alongside Biss).

Up front - no concensus at all. For me it's Llanana behind Wellbeck and Connolly but Maupay Trossard and Mac all come close as is playing just one up front.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
--------------------Sanchez
--------White - Dunk - Webster
Lamptey - Bissouma - Lallana - March
---Trossard - Welbeck - Mac Alllister

That's about it for me too - with the slight reservation that Lallana may be more effective further forward. Maybe Moder will prove to be the man for that midfield position, leaving Lallana to compete with Trossard or Mac Allister. And that's before we see what Caicedo and Karbownik can offer. Getting too far ahead of myself I fear ...

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Not sure on this, but it's remarkable how good Ale Mac has been of late. I'd mentally filed him away in the 2nd string conversation. Very impressive particularly against Man City and Leeds.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It really depends who we're playing against. Potter clearly does his homework and selects a side he thinks best suited to countering the opposition. Doesn't always work, almost did against Man C, did against Leeds, other games not so well. We have a great squad but difficult to pick a strongest XI.

Totally this.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Veltman not making too many teams

No you're right, he wasn't in mine either which seems like we're all being incredibly harsh as he is a quality player. He's on a par with the other three centre backs to be honest and does a great stand in job at RB/RWB. A real asset.

As others have said, these days it's very much a squad game and horses for courses so he will end up playing nearly as much as the others anyway. A massively important part of the squad.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I’m yet to see anything from Welbeck or Lallana that gets them ahead of Maupay and Mac Allister.

Sanchez

White Webster Dunk

Lamptey Bissouma Propper March

Trossard Maupay Mac Allister

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure there is a single strongest XI as it depends who we’re playing and how the game unfolds.

Very much this. I can see why we would keep a consistent defence, but otherwise the modern game is horses-for-courses.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sanchez
Veltman-Dunk-Webster
Lamptey-White-Bissouma-March
Lallana-Groß
Welbeck​

That looks pretty solid to me, some nice subs to come on if required too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's interesting that we pretty much all agree on seven of the back eight. Just some debate about whether White plays in midfield or not (yes against teams that aim to score on transition and Burn in the back three, no if they dont with Propper alongside Biss).

Up front - no concensus at all. For me it's Llanana behind Wellbeck and Connolly but Maupay Trossard and Mac all come close as is playing just one up front.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Interesting that you, and one or two others, have just dropped our leading scorer!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
We don't have one. Each selection seems to be made with our opponents in mind.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I’m yet to see anything from Welbeck or Lallana that gets them ahead of Maupay and Mac Allister.

Sanchez

White Webster Dunk

Lamptey Bissouma Propper March

Trossard Maupay Mac Allister

Lallana is quality but I think he's being 'shoehorned' too much into a role alongside Bissouma where I would definitely not put him.

£ for £ he's a better player than Propper (imo) but I'd still pick Propper alongside Bissouma. If Lallana makes the team it has to be in place of Trossard or MacAllister ..... well in my team anyway!!

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
Veltman not making too many teams

Which to me is madness - he's the player that makes our defence solidify - he's the guy that is frankly the oil to make the defence purr. Positioning excellent, touch is what you would expect from an alumni of Ajax and Netherlands National team, and he's clever. His footballing brain is better than anyone else in that defence as it should be from a regular CL player

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It really depends who we're playing against. Potter clearly does his homework and selects a side he thinks best suited to countering the opposition. Doesn't always work, almost did against Man C, did against Leeds, other games not so well. We have a great squad but difficult to pick a strongest XI.

100% this. Horses for courses.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Lallana is quality but I think he's being 'shoehorned' too much into a role alongside Bissouma where I would definitely not put him.

£ for £ he's a better player than Propper (imo) but I'd still pick Propper alongside Bissouma. If Lallana makes the team it has to be in place of Trossard or MacAllister ..... well in my team anyway!!

At his best Adam Lallana was a brilliant player, Liverpool would hardly have signed him if he wasn't, but over the years time seems to have caught up with him, and his injury record is far from good. To the extent l think, that l wouldn't play him regularly now.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Has anyone noticed? Bissouma is in everyone's team selection. There is no debate about him. I doubt if it even crossed anyone's mind to - not - include him. His place is a foregone conclusion. First name on the teamsheet. Quite right too.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Has anyone noticed? Bissouma is in everyone's team selection. There is no debate about him. I doubt if it even crossed anyone's mind to - not - include him. His place is a foregone conclusion. First name on the teamsheet. Quite right too.

You could say the same for Sanchez, Webster, Dunk, White, March and Lamptey is only missing in 1. Its further forward that opinions differ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here