Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our strongest XI

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There's been a lot of talk on here in recent weeks about a need to stop chopping and changing and fielding our strongest XI, which got me wondering...what is our strongest XI in people's eyes? It feels to me like everyone's idea of it might well be different.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sanchez
White Dunk Webster
Lamptey Biss Lallana Gross/Macalister March
Welbeck Maupay

Obviously subject to injury...…...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sanchez
Lamptey White Webster Dunk March

Bissouma Propper (time will tell if Moder is better)

Lallana
Wellbeck Maupay

I don't think there will be too much debate on 9 of those.....

Propper and March might attract the usual comments

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
---------------Sanchez
------Veltman Dunk Webster
Lamptey White Bissouma March
---------Lallana MacAllister
---------------Maupay

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Sanchez
White Dunk Webster
Lamptey Bissouma Propper March
Lallana MacAllister
Wellbeck

Notes:
Assumes equivalent fitness ... tbh I can't ever see Welbeck/Lallana starting too many (so replace with Maupay/Trossard)
Propper was a tricky pick

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
It really depends who we're playing against. Potter clearly does his homework and selects a side he thinks best suited to countering the opposition. Doesn't always work, almost did against Man C, did against Leeds, other games not so well. We have a great squad but difficult to pick a strongest XI.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Not sure there is a single strongest XI as it depends who we’re playing and how the game unfolds. For example, away at City, you might start with Veltman over Lamptey. If you’re one down with 20 minutes left you’d bring on Lamptey and Mac Allister. If you’re drawing with 20 minutes left you’d maybe bring on Tau, Propper, Alzate or even Burn.
So playing a top six team, I’d probably start with....

Sanchez
Webster Dunk White
Veltman Bissouma Lallana Gross March
Maupay Welbeck

Subs Lamptey, Mac Allister, Propper, Tau, Connolly, Trossard, Burn, Walton, Alzate

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'll be honest, I don't buy into the idea of a "Best XI" and given how erratic some of our players are, I wouldn't be confident that even if we nailed one down it'd perform the same every week, because our opponents are always different.

In theory, it's Sanchez; Webster, Dunk (c), White; Lamptey, March; Bissouma, Lallana; Gross, Maupay, Trossard. However, Mac Allister is in great form, Trossard blows very hot and very cold, away from home, White in DM and Burn at CB is effective (like v Man City & Leeds).

The fact is, we have a strong squad and I really don't know ou strongest 11. Besides, the last time a manager picked a side that I looked at and went "Cor, that's the line-up I want to see..." we lost 1-5 at home to Bournemouth.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I also think it's telling that most people on this thread have put a different 11 as their best XI shows it's not as easy as just getting Potter to "play his best XI"

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I'll be honest, I don't buy into the idea of a "Best XI" and given how erratic some of our players are, I wouldn't be confident that even if we nailed one down it'd perform the same every week, because our opponents are always different.

In theory, it's Sanchez; Webster, Dunk (c), White; Lamptey, March; Bissouma, Lallana; Gross, Maupay, Trossard. However, Mac Allister is in great form, Trossard blows very hot and very cold, away from home, White in DM and Burn at CB is effective (like v Man City & Leeds).

The fact is, we have a strong squad and I really don't know ou strongest 11. Besides, the last time a manager picked a side that I looked at and went "Cor, that's the line-up I want to see..." we lost 1-5 at home to Bournemouth.

Blimey, I missed our solitary goal that day. Shudder!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

You and Graham both

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Best XI is an outdated concept.

The idea that you pick an XI and that gets you through a season, is a concept left in the 80s

The best managers now ... like our one .... pick the team most likely to hide our weaknesses and show our strengths according to an opponent.

I

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sanchez
Lamptey White Webster Dunk March

Bissouma Propper (time will tell if Moder is better)

Lallana
Wellbeck Maupay

I don't think there will be too much debate on 9 of those.....

Propper and March might attract the usual comments

I don't think too many people can disagree with Solly's inclusion, he has been the stand out player for me, especially with Lamptey's long term injury.

I would like to see Pascal Gross in the starting eleven though, a cultured player who is capable of both creating, and scoring a few goals too.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
GP doesn't have a best XI. He picks the best XI for the game.

So is your question "Who do you think are our XI most skillful players?" or is it "Who are the XI best for their position?" or is it "Which is the strongest team?" or probably some other combination. Without a bit of clarity, there's almost no way to compare people's replies.

Apols if this comes over as a dick reply - it's not meant to be.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I also think it's telling that most people on this thread have put a different 11 as their best XI shows it's not as easy as just getting Potter to "play his best XI"

Was kinda my thinking, I've been critical of Potter on here in recent times but I think everyone's idea of such a concept is different, and as such using that as a stick to beat him with is essentially pointless and boils down to "isn't picking the players I would".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here