Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your bottom 3. Mid Season edition.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I also think Sheff Utd and West Brom, joined by Fulham I think with Newcastle and us just getting away with it. Fulham have had a relative upturn in form, but that has resulted in draws. I think ultimately this will be decided not in the games between the sides at the bottom, most of which will be draws but the games with the mid-table/top half teams. I don't think I have seen anything yet that suggests that Fulham can start to win many of those, or rather win more of those than us. Their games in hand, down to only 1 tonight, after they play Man United.. should be Utd win, but even a draw, doesn't do them much good..

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sheffield Utd - nailed on

Newcastle.Utd. - don’t think they have the players or the manager to fight once they’re dragged in to the relegation zone.

Burnley/West Brom - toss up but I can see Burnley being dragged down. Don’t think Dyche can change his playing style & current squad is weak. Won’t buy big names so whoever they bring in needs to stand out in a team which is essentially attritional. That’s not easy. West Brom on the other hand don’t have the quality to compete consistently and that’s unlikely to change so think they will continue to struggle for results.

I think we have just enough if Potter swallows his pride and mixes the slow pretty stuff with a more direct & pacy attacking approach but we have to change & adapt or we are going to be a decent bet to snatch the last relegation place. Playing a consistent team would be a start to getting the best out of the players we have.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Newcastle
Fulham
Sheffield United

Suspect WBA might stay up purely because they seem to have a knack of picking up crucial points and might just pip Newcastle to it. Fulham don't score enough goals for me and anyone betting on Sheffield United to stay up on the current standings probably shouldn't be trusted with money. I think we'll see more than just Newcastle dragged into it, will probably be a bottom six with us and Leeds as well as the four mentioned, and Burnley managing to crawl out of it.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Sheff Utd, West Brom, Toon.

This.

Sheff Utd - too much to do after that start.

Big Sam's methods just don't work well enough in the modern game to save WBA.

Newcastle... just dire. Bruce is limited and hated by the fans - the club's a divided mess and Ashley won't want to spend any money.

Fulham will be there or there abouts, but seem to have a plan, some unity and an upturn in form on their side.
Burnley might flirt with the bottom 3, but will grind out enough one nils to survive.

We'll be in a relatively safe* group with Palace, Leeds and maybe Wolves

*(though never completely comfortable!)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Goal Difference is quite a useful guide when comparing teams' performance over 19 matches. It is slightly more sensitive than points won and ranks teams more accurately in terms of how good they really are.

Burnley, Newcastle & Palace are the three most likely to challenge the current basement dwellers for a relegation spot.

I agree.

GD is usually the best predictor of future performance

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sheff Utd obviously.

Newcastle are in shocking form and there is also a malaise around that club that doesn't bode well. You need fans and players to have faith in the manager and I don't think Newcastle have got that.

Then it's between West Brom and Burnley for me. I think we have comfortably more strength in depth than the pair of them, same goes for Palace. Leeds really don't at all, but sadly they do have a point cushion that should see them safe even though they are just about to (hilariously) plummet.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'd go Sheff U, WBA and Newcastle

But I still worry about us. Seems the majority are (rightly) buoyed by our performances v Wolves, City and Leeds but we've been here before. We (rightly) assume we'll beat Fulham and if we do I expect my fears to wane but if we don't then what? Our fixtures suggest a lean couple of weeks after Fulham and then I think our safety will be determined largely by results in the remainder of Feb and March

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This.

Sheff Utd - too much to do after that start.

Big Sam's methods just don't work well enough in the modern game to save WBA.

Newcastle... just dire. Bruce is limited and hated by the fans - the club's a divided mess and Ashley won't want to spend any money.

Fulham will be there or there abouts, but seem to have a plan, some unity and an upturn in form on their side.
Burnley might flirt with the bottom 3, but will grind out enough one nils to survive.

We'll be in a relatively safe* group with Palace, Leeds and maybe Wolves

*(though never completely comfortable!)

This, although anyone from Villa down could get sucked in this early.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex

But I still worry about us. Seems the majority are (rightly) buoyed by our performances v Wolves, City and Leeds but we've been here before. We (rightly) assume we'll beat Fulham and if we do I expect my fears to wane but if we don't then what? Our fixtures suggest a lean couple of weeks after Fulham and then I think our safety will be determined largely by results in the remainder of Feb and March

I genuinely don't assume we will beat Fulham. We are capable and might do, but I think we have seen they will be really well organised and we know that we , if they don't make big errors, struggle to break down teams that sit (as do lots of teams).. I really think it will be a draw, as I think many of the games against relegation rivals will be (and have been). The differences I think will come from who can pick up most points vs. the teams higher up the table, and I think that will be us, rather than the current bottom 3.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Considering Leicester won their last eight games or something to survive who knows what can happen and that’s why we all love football.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Sheffield United
Fulham
Brighton

I just have a horrible feeling about this season and one win hasn’t made that go away.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I worry too, but we've won a league game in January for the first time in the Premier League, and we're playing well, which wasn't true before Christmas.

I think people are ignoring something that leaps out at you if you look at the league table - Burnley have only scored NINE goals, the same as Sheffield United. And we think we've got problems finding the net. Personally I think Newcastle are the team most likely to nosedive in the second half of the season, but I don't rule out Dyche and company. If Dyche has the money to buy a striker, it's one he can't afford to get wrong.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I genuinely don't assume we will beat Fulham. We are capable and might do, but I think we have seen they will be really well organised and we know that we , if they don't make big errors, struggle to break down teams that sit (as do lots of teams).. I really think it will be a draw, as I think many of the games against relegation rivals will be (and have been). The differences I think will come from who can pick up most points vs. the teams higher up the table, and I think that will be us, rather than the current bottom 3.

Well that is everyone bar four teams. Unless you mean the higher echelons of the table and if that is the case, don't hold your breath. Our PL history shows that we lose almost every away game to the bigger hitters. Maybe we can rely on our strong home form or maybe not. Knowing us, our points are most likely to come from games v West Ham, Newcastle, Palace, Wolves, Villa, Saints and Burnley.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Well that is everyone bar four teams. Unless you mean the higher echelons of the table and if that is the case, don't hold your breath. Our PL history shows that we lose almost every away game to the bigger hitters. Maybe we can rely on our strong home form or maybe not. Knowing us, our points are most likely to come from games v West Ham, Newcastle, Palace, Wolves, Villa, Saints and Burnley.

Thats exactly what I mean.. I understand that games vs. the current bottom 3 look like they are the easiest to win, but likewise, we look that way for them too - losing is a huge risk so often we end up with stalemate. The teams you list are the ones I think we will gain more points from than the teams below us, punctuated with the odd point or result vs. those higher up. Fulhams laudable up turn in form has resulted in draws, not wins - much like us. It rarely happens I know, but a point against the likes of Arsenal, Everton, Chelsea (current form) Spurs wouldnt be the biggest surprise either. My assertion is that we are better equipped to win points in those games than our immediate rivals Others may hold their views on that when the games in hand have played out. I guess, I am trying to suggest that if we fail to win against Fulham, I don't see that as season-defining, despite the inevitable hand-wringing, manager polls that are probably drafted already!

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Sheffield United, then 2 from Newcastle, WBA, Fulham, Burnley. Think Brighton can pull themselves away from relegation scrap, if Fulham or WBA also continue to pick up points then Newcastle, Burnley and Leeds could get dragged into bottom three.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Thats exactly what I mean.. I understand that games vs. the current bottom 3 look like they are the easiest to win, but likewise, we look that way for them too - losing is a huge risk so often we end up with stalemate. The teams you list are the ones I think we will gain more points from than the teams below us, punctuated with the odd point or result vs. those higher up. Fulhams laudable up turn in form has resulted in draws, not wins - much like us. It rarely happens I know, but a point against the likes of Arsenal, Everton, Chelsea (current form) Spurs wouldnt be the biggest surprise either. My assertion is that we are better equipped to win points in those games than our immediate rivals Others may hold their views on that when the games in hand have played out. I guess, I am trying to suggest that if we fail to win against Fulham, I don't see that as season-defining, despite the inevitable hand-wringing, manager polls that are probably drafted already!
Just to see the end of those polls I would dearly love to beat Fulham. UTA.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I worry too, but we've won a league game in January for the first time in the Premier League, and we're playing well, which wasn't true before Christmas.

I think people are ignoring something that leaps out at you if you look at the league table - Burnley have only scored NINE goals, the same as Sheffield United. And we think we've got problems finding the net. Personally I think Newcastle are the team most likely to nosedive in the second half of the season, but I don't rule out Dyche and company. If Dyche has the money to buy a striker, it's one he can't afford to get wrong.

The thing is, that Burnley have only scored 9 goals despite having perfectly capable strikers. Burnley's issues are systemic, it's not a case of them missing sitters. They can only keep teams from running in 4 or 5 against them by sitting very deep and hoping for something from a set piece.

It might just work to keep them up again .. but they would need to add about 7 first teamers to seriously have a chance at playing more expansively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here