Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] BBC This Fishing Life Cornwall.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I missed the part about the family who had bought and restored the boat only to find out that the quota did not come with it. Were they conned? Or had they mucked up?

Wasn’t really explained....the old man sad they’d been sold down the river’ but it did sound a bit like they’d messed up. In the closing credits it said they eventually leased a new quota.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tough watch tonight..........hard times.
Too many boats chasing too few fish. They moan about the quotas but if there were none they would happily slaughter everything. The problem is that the technology to catch fish has got better and is more efficient and as a fish gets rarer its value goes up so its still worth chasing them til they are almost all gone.

Sadly it's inherent in nearly all fishermen to keep catching even when they have caught more than enough, you need to see the annual Mackerel slaughter on the Marina in Sumner in action. They genuinely catch more than they can carry.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Too many boats chasing too few fish. They moan about the quotas but if there were none they would happily slaughter everything. The problem is that the technology to catch fish has got better and is more efficient and as a fish gets rarer its value goes up so its still worth chasing them til they are almost all gone.

Sadly it's inherent in nearly all fishermen to keep catching even when they have caught more than enough, you need to see the annual Mackerel slaughter on the Marina in Sumner in action. They genuinely catch more than they can carry.

Not really comparable though - the chaps taking a bin-liner full caught on a rod that they have to drag back to the car park because they can’t carry it (I’ve seen it too) are still pretty insignificant compared with the hundreds tons the big trawlers catch on a daily basis. Biggest issues are discards (over-quota or out of season fish that get netted but are then chucked over the side because they’re not allowed to land them) and mesh sizes too small that mean too many juvenile fish are caught - if the methods were truly more efficient there would be far less wastage.

The issue last night though was they thought a quota came with the boat they’d bought, but it didn’t. They’re massively expensive to buy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not really comparable though - the chaps taking a bin-liner full caught on a rod that they have to drag back to the car park because they can’t carry it (I’ve seen it too) are still pretty insignificant compared with the hundreds tons the big trawlers catch on a daily basis. Biggest issues are discards (over-quota or out of season fish that get netted but are then chucked over the side because they’re not allowed to land them) and mesh sizes too small that mean too many juvenile fish are caught - if the methods were truly more efficient there would be far less wastage.

The issue last night though was they thought a quota came with the boat they’d bought, but it didn’t. They’re massively expensive to buy.
It still comes down to too many boats chasing to few fish. Discards are a part of it but, if boats were to land what they wanted all the low value fish would be discarded in order to keep the more valuable fish.
Bass were nearly wiped out a few years ago after celebrity chefs started recommending it. Its slow growing and vulnerable to seine netting when they shoal up at certain times of the year. I actually managed to get out and see a big shoal surrounding shoals of Herring in October 2 miles off Lancing.
I know for a fact there is a small sand bank just off the Wind Farm which a couple of small boat anglers discovered to hold good Turbot and Brill. A small trawler found out about it and went up and down over it til they wiped everything out over the course of 3 days.

I feel some sympathy for our local fishermen but, they don't help themselves by helping themselves whenever they can.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Why oh why is it even legal do use drag nets, or bottom trawling ?? just destroys everything. No wonder theres hardly any fish left.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agreed, they’re horrendous. Literally scrape up everything in their path, and destroy the seabed as they go.

which kills all the plant life, crustacians, food sources, small fish etc etc, I don't see any benefit for doing it at all.

The whole catch anything and sling back ( dead or half alive) what you're not allowed is criminal too.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Wasn’t really explained....the old man sad they’d been sold down the river’ but it did sound a bit like they’d messed up. In the closing credits it said they eventually leased a new quota.

They'd been done up like a kipper .... sorry!

Yes, seems they didn't read the small print!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
which kills all the plant life, crustacians, food sources, small fish etc etc, I don't see any benefit for doing it at all.

The whole catch anything and sling back ( dead or half alive) what you're not allowed is criminal too.

I grew up on Shoreham Beach (as you know) and when we had storms the beaches would be feet deep in kelp. I only found out recently that much of the coastal waters off Sussex used to have kelp forests. Given what I saw as a kid that should have been obvious, but they were destroyed in a large part by fishing trawlers. Such a shame, as kelp forests are such a magnificent ecosystem.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I grew up on Shoreham Beach (as you know) and when we had storms the beaches would be feet deep in kelp. I only found out recently that much of the coastal waters off Sussex used to have kelp forests. Given what I saw as a kid that should have been obvious, but they were destroyed in a large part by fishing trawlers. Such a shame, as kelp forests are such a magnificent ecosystem.

A great natural fertiliser as well. councils used to pay the farmers to take it away, they 'd queue up for it.

**** that, there's more profit in fish fingers! :down:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Have always harboured (excuse the pun) the idea of retiring to Mevagissey, could do this if I wanted to but the Mrs has said I'd be bored. Just love the idea of watching the coming and going in the harbour but I get her point, once I've done that there's a lot of day left.

No win situation i'm afraid.
I hope you have lots of money to buy a property that gives you a view of the harbour and if you have then you had better make it very clear that you are not a 2nd home owner and when you do you will still be ignored for being an incomer as both are held responsible for the stupidly high house prices.
I hope to do the same after Plymouth but it is best to go to a larger town or not a typical small fishing village like Mevagissey.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
They'd been done up like a kipper .... sorry!

Yes, seems they didn't read the small print!

They also claimed not to have been told about numerous faults with the boat that had been identified at a previous MCA inspection. I’d have thought that would be one of the first things to check when buying a trawler.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Some good news. After a long campaign, in Jan 2020 trawling was banned from the former Sussex Kelp forest, an area 4km x 75km along the coast. Enforced by several agencies and in addition monitored by scientists plus Sussex Wildlife Trust.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some good news. After a long campaign, in Jan 2020 trawling was banned from the former Sussex Kelp forest, an area 4km x 75km along the coast. Enforced by several agencies and in addition monitored by scientists plus Sussex Wildlife Trust.

Brilliant ! that's great on so many levels ! more habitat protection for crustaceans, juvenile fish plus a healthy top dressing for the allotment come the autumn storms...... win win win !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here