Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is this allowed? (PL investigate WHU / WBA / Snodgrass rule breach)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
82A16518-7E33-463E-847F-50FA0DDF6793.png

I thought the rules were, once a player sings for another club, the selling club couldn’t insist on any restrictions

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not allowed I would imagine.

According to the press, he wasn't actually going to transferred until tomorrow.

However, West Brom wanted to play him against Wolves so did an agreement that won't allow him to play tonight. He is available for the future fixture.

Surely the Premier League has to look into this, unless he is technically "on loan" until tomorrow. A clear loop hole that needs to be closed.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Will be a gentleman’s agreement . Nothing written into his contract as that isn’t allowed.

But isn't the issue nothing to do with his contract, but everything to do with one club being able to dictate the selection policy of another?

He's either a West Brom player or not, there isn't a middle ground unless they arranged a short term loan.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
But isn't the issue nothing to do with his contract, but everything to do with one club being able to dictate the selection policy of another?

He's either a West Brom player or not, there isn't a middle ground unless they arranged a short term loan.

I'm amazed that Allardyce has actually stated what he did (assuming the OP is correct).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its academic if there was an informal agreement and they choose not to play him. may not literally be true its not allowed, for Allardyce apparently its as good as.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Don't know, but your phone needs charging.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
As already mentioned, a gentlemans agreement I would imagine. Nothing authorities can do about it. Besides, I really don't see a problem tbh.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As already mentioned, a gentlemans agreement I would imagine. Nothing authorities can do about it. Besides, I really don't see a problem tbh.

There is a specific rule against this in PL rules.

Such an agreement — whether written or informal — might constitute a breach of Premier League regulation I 7, which states that “no club shall enter into a contract which enables another party to that contract to acquire the ability materially to influence its policies or the performance of its teams in league matches”.

I don’t know if found guilty, that it would be a fine for WBA, a fine for both clubs, a points deduction, for one or both.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

Gentleman's agreement is also not allowed. the fact big Sam was the one to say it, could mean a very swift investigation

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
There is a specific rule against this in PL rules.

Such an agreement — whether written or informal — might constitute a breach of Premier League regulation I 7, which states that “no club shall enter into a contract which enables another party to that contract to acquire the ability materially to influence its policies or the performance of its teams in league matches”.

I don’t know if found guilty, that it would be a fine for WBA, a fine for both clubs, a points deduction, for one or both.

Ok, might be the rules but I'm sure agreements are made without a paper trail. Tapping up is against the rules, but still goes on. Probably difficult to prove. I think maybe Fat Sam should of kept his mouth shut on this occasion though!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Ok, might be the rules but I'm sure agreements are made without a paper trail. Tapping up is against the rules, but still goes on. Probably difficult to prove. I think maybe Fat Sam should of kept his mouth shut on this occasion though!

I agree with you about tapping up, through one form or another, but, I don’t think this goes on so much if at all.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Discretion has never really been Sam's strong point

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Clearly different from the Tim Howard transfer where there was no "material difference" since Everton agreed not to play him until after a certain date.

Snodgrass has already played for West Brom. The rules are quite clear:

"No Club shall enter into a contract which enables any other party to that contract to acquire the ability materially to influence its policies or the performance of its teams in League Matches."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here