Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Electric car batteries with five-minute charging times produced

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Batteries capable of fully charging in five minutes have been produced in a factory for the first time, marking a significant step towards electric cars becoming as fast to charge as filling up petrol or diesel vehicles."

Would now be tempted to be get an electric car/van with one of these batteries!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

SAC

May 21, 2014
It's excellent news, 100 miles from a 5 minute charge. So long as there isn't a big cost to the environment with however these batteries are made.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Do that, and combine it with a real world 300 mile range, and it becomes a no brainer for me. I’d be delighted to dump the only diesel car I’ve ever owned - thanks, Gordon Brown for telling me it was the most environmentally friendly option when I bought it.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It's excellent news, 100 miles from a 5 minute charge. So long as there isn't a big cost to the environment with however these batteries are made.

Is 100 miles the quoted range? Certainly a massive step in the right direction, but a still a little on the short side without the required motorway infrastructure. I'd happily buy an electric car, but the four challenges in the way for me currently are:

- Range
- Charging time
- Vehicle price
- National infrastructure

Until we've gone some way to nailing all of those it's always going to be a struggle to get mass public buy-in, in my opinion. Hopefully the impetus and technology exists to get us there quickly though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
"Batteries capable of fully charging in five minutes have been produced in a factory for the first time, marking a significant step towards electric cars becoming as fast to charge as filling up petrol or diesel vehicles."

Would now be tempted to be get an electric car/van with one of these batteries!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

To recharge a car battery in 5 minutes will take absolutely huge amounts of current. Doing it is one thing, putting in that kind of charging infrastructure is another

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
past the headline...
The batteries can be fully charged in five minutes but this would require much higher-powered chargers than used today. Using available charging infrastructure, StoreDot is aiming to deliver 100 miles of charge to a car battery in five minutes in 2025

so jam tomorrow. 4 years from being delivered, need special charges and even then considerably poorer range than existing. this is not the solution you are looking for, move along.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
past the headline...

so jam tomorrow. 4 years from being delivered, need special charges and even then considerably poorer range than existing. this is not the solution you are looking for, move along.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

The charge from air ones aside, there's all sorts of interesting and quite different technologies being developed so hopefully moving in the right direction

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Is 100 miles the quoted range? Certainly a massive step in the right direction, but a still a little on the short side without the required motorway infrastructure. I'd happily buy an electric car, but the four challenges in the way for me currently are:

- Range
- Charging time
- Vehicle price
- National infrastructure

Until we've gone some way to nailing all of those it's always going to be a struggle to get mass public buy-in, in my opinion. Hopefully the impetus and technology exists to get us there quickly though.

By far the biggest one of thee to me is Vehicle price.

Everything else I can work around

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Only 100 mile range though. Mine charges to 300 in about 45 mins at a supercharger which is pretty good. It’s only on very long journeys that you have to plan where to charge, day to day journeys you don’t have to think about it as the car is always fully charged when you leave home.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
past the headline...

Its a step in the right direction though, if/when fast charging becomes cheap and easy that will mean the end for petrol/Diesel within 20 years.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

The charge from air ones aside, there's all sorts of interesting and quite different technologies being developed so hopefully moving in the right direction

thats all research stuff, years from production, for phone or electronic devices. car scale batteries are several orders of magnitude harder.

"step in the right direction" over looks these are so many lab promises, years from commercial delivery. we should have been here a decade ago. batteries aer hard to scale and there's apparently no breakthrough on the horizon. we will force the replacement of petrol for inferior tech, lets accept that rather than pretend its going to change in the next 10 yrs.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
This is all very well but until there are sufficient charging points at motorway service areas and not the half a dozen or so as it is at present.
I'm also reminded of when LPG was the fuel of the future and the classic statements made by car manufacturers and fuel companies. Car manufacturers said when more petrol stations had LPG pumps then they would produce more LPG powered cars and the fuel companies said when there were more LPG powered cars on the road they would increase the number of LPG pumps. Catch 22 springs to mind.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
To recharge a car battery in 5 minutes will take absolutely huge amounts of current. Doing it is one thing, putting in that kind of charging infrastructure is another

The car will be toasty warm though.

Borderline flame grilled!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
D0kzUZfW0AArrnJ.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here