Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sheffield United.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When you go up a division you have players who are very confident, used to winning and shrugging off the occasional defeat and just generally happy and psychologically fit. Second season those memories of winning wont be as strong, get one or two or three losses in a row early into the season and they are now relegation battlers rather than the energetic newcomers. Thats the second season syndrome and they have lots of. Potentially they would be better off if they werent as good last season.

They have a small squad, a decent first eleven - top 17 at least - but once anything happens to it they look weak. Jack O'Connell being injured has also been a massive down for them, and the big money spent on Brewster should have been spent on a defender and a midfielder.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lazy or a complete lack of pace after he lost the ball for Kane’s strike?

Last season many NSC’ers lamented his departure as they flew high in the table. Not any more.

I think he is a good player but would do better in a team playing more in line with his qualities... like Brighton. Not that I would swap anyone for him but he's not a bad player.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Very obvious to me - Blades replaced Udders as the token Yorkshire club in the EPL.
Now that dirty Leeds are in the EPL, Blades know their place and are stepping aside for them.

So next season, when Leeds suffer second-season syndrome and get relegated, shirley it will be the Massive to take the Yorkshire sport at the top-table?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Last season many NSC’ers lamented his departure as they flew high in the table. Not any more.

Casualness and a lack of urgency / awareness of the danger when he lost the ball the first time. He should've been busting a gut to foul someone.

The second time (for the third goal) was again lack of awareness as he tried to let the ball run across him before turning to take a touch. Except the touch came from a Spurs player and he was again out of the game, gifting them a goal. I wouldn't be surprised if one of his team mates gobbed in his Mountain Dew after that.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
As GP constantly says, the Premier League is defined by small margins. Every game is a tough one. Sheffield United have lost 11 games by 1 goal. There will undoubtedly have been enough incidents in all of those games which if they had got the rub of the green would have resulted in them getting a draw or even a win. But once enough games have gone the wrong way, even by narrow margins , then confidence disappears and its hard to claw back from that. ( Unfortunately, the team that did manage to do so was Palllllllace, after 7 straight losses. ). Last season, as others have said, momentum got them going well and then confidence kicks in.

Squad depth also has something to do with it. They haven't replaced two critical players, especially Henderson.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Easy to be taken in by the style you’ve seen in some games and yes they do play fabulous open football at times but the injuries are most likely a result of how hard Bielsa works his players, nearly all of his teams are known for starting fast and going off the boil towards the end of the season, they got very fortunate last year that they got the break as they were running out of steam.

Time will tell, but I don’t think that style is sustainable, I’ve seen them play a fair few teams this season who just sit in and they really seem to struggle.

Yes, those sides that adopt a high, hard, pressing game need to be extremely fit and with the number of matches being squeezed into the season you can understand why these teams get fatigued as the season goes on. With that and the consequent injuries you can understand why teams, including Liverpool can’t keep it up forever.
One thing about Potter, he not only rotates the squad, he also rotates his tactics, and I fancy that this will be more sustainable in the long run.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think the difference between a club like the Albion and Sheff Utd is recruitment.

If you haven't got money and don't pay big wages your recruitment and player development has to be spot on. They haven't improved the core they had, whereas we have got Lamptey, developed White and Bissouma, improved March, brought in experience like Lallana and Welbeck.You need to do that just to have fighting chance.

I think Newcastle have fallen into the same trap, and while Wilson was a great signing I don't think he can can keep them up by himself.

I think you're right. Add in to that the fact we've had a solid but not drastically expensive couple of transfer windows to quietly strengthen our squad in the future if needed. The fact we could improve the squad by recalling loanees mid-way through the season that have had half a season (or more) playing at a good standard is a rare benefit. Tau, Moder and Karbownik this season, Mac Allister last season. All young and desperate to show their worth in the Premier League having played in the Champions League, Europa League and Copa Libertadores between them.

If we'd spent £20m on Tau for example, I think most of the "noise" from fans would be minimised but good business is less satisfying than expensive business. Give me a Tau for £2m over a Locadia for £14m any day of the week.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As GP constantly says, the Premier League is defined by small margins. Every game is a tough one. Sheffield United have lost 11 games by 1 goal. There will undoubtedly have been enough incidents in all of those games which if they had got the rub of the green would have resulted in them getting a draw or even a win. But once enough games have gone the wrong way, even by narrow margins , then confidence disappears and its hard to claw back from that. ( Unfortunately, the team that did manage to do so was Palllllllace, after 7 straight losses. ). Last season, as others have said, momentum got them going well and then confidence kicks in.

Squad depth also has something to do with it. They haven't replaced two critical players, especially Henderson.

Yeh, last season every 1-0 went their way.

Momentum and confidence plays a huge part

I do believe this Sheff Utd team are far from the worst team to be relegated from the PL, even though they will have the lowest points total. They are not getting hammered each week, they aren't hapless. They are just coming out on the wrong side of every game.

Ah well

SAC

May 21, 2014
Leeds are going through a poor run of form, and are beset by injuries, but when they are back to their best, are twice the team that Sheff United are, plus they can play football, and are exciting to watch.

Yes, Dirty Leeds are going through a poor run of form but they only have 4 players out injured, which is roughly average, plus Philips on 5 yellows.

When any team are at their best they are twice the team SU are.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
A lack of tactical adaptability.

The system of marauding centre backs attacking down the flanks, even though well known from their Championship seasons, must now be analysed to death by opposing EPL coaches.

Allied to a load of big units (McBurnie, McGoldrick, Basham, Egan, Stevens and Berge) which inevitably leads to a direct, in your faces game. When other teams plan for and match that, what creativity do they have?

Yep, you can never stand still in the Premier league, have to keep improving, even from a successful base.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Leeds are going through a poor run of form, and are beset by injuries, but when they are back to their best, are twice the team that Sheff United are, plus they can play football, and are exciting to watch.

Bielsa in his pre-match pressy stated he had a full squad , only Philips out for 5 cards . We on the other hand had 5 missing .

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Ollie is still a good player though, as you say last season he completely ran their midfield, and currently just suffering from playing in a poor team l think. He will come god again.

el punal

When you go up a division you have players who are very confident, used to winning and shrugging off the occasional defeat and just generally happy and psychologically fit. Second season those memories of winning wont be as strong, get one or two or three losses in a row early into the season and they are now relegation battlers rather than the energetic newcomers. Thats the second season syndrome and they have lots of. Potentially they would be better off if they werent as good last season.

They have a small squad, a decent first eleven - top 17 at least - but once anything happens to it they look weak. Jack O'Connell being injured has also been a massive down for them, and the big money spent on Brewster should have been spent on a defender and a midfielder.

You’re right about second season syndrome. The Albion really struggled from the start of January 2019 right through to the end of the season - the lowest point being those awful home defeats to Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff in short order. Fortunately we just had enough in the bank to scrape by.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
YThey are not getting hammered each week, they aren't hapless. They are just coming out on the wrong side of every game.

Ah well

Indeed - interestingly, despite never really getting hammered, they have managed to amass a GD of - 22. The main reason being they have only scored 10 goals all season!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here