Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sheffield United.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Just like Hudds, a better than expected first season up meant they thought they could achieve the same again with same squad, led them to not invest in as many new players as they needed second season, but they lost the 110% battling mentality they had as new arrivals. Second season syndrome to a tee.

Almost caught us out as well second season but we were lucky we had three horrendous teams below us.

I never quite get this statement. Isn't that just what the table is meant to do - every season, rank the teams?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Easy to be taken in by the style you’ve seen in some games and yes they do play fabulous open football at times but the injuries are most likely a result of how hard Bielsa works his players, nearly all of his teams are known for starting fast and going off the boil towards the end of the season, they got very fortunate last year that they got the break as they were running out of steam.

Time will tell, but I don’t think that style is sustainable, I’ve seen them play a fair few teams this season who just sit in and they really seem to struggle.

This - pleased they were match 19 because of it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Just like Hudds, a better than expected first season up meant they thought they could achieve the same again with same squad, led them to not invest in as many new players as they needed second season, but they lost the 110% battling mentality they had as new arrivals. Second season syndrome to a tee.

Almost caught us out as well second season but we were lucky we had three horrendous teams below us.

Except we seem to have fourth season syndrome

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

monkeymz

Sep 27, 2011
Sheff Utd been completely worked out and only buy championship players but didnt think they would be this bad but hey shit happens . Leeds i think we showed how to stop leeds pack the middle of the park and push them wide, I said to friend at the start of the season that we would beat leeds and villa cause we can defend

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I never quite get this statement. Isn't that just what the table is meant to do - every season, rank the teams?

I guess you're right, our 36 points that season would have been safe any other season - maybe it just felt less worrying at the time because they were all basket cases. I think I was more worried about relegation in both our first and third seasons than that one, even though we came closest to the drop in 2019.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In his post-match Interview yesterday Chris Wilder sounded completely broken. I know the Board have stated that he stays in position, regardless of the outcome of this season - but he really sounded as if he has nothing left.

I heard that and its the first time that i can recall him sounding downbeat....almost as if he was offering to resign

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Second season syndrome is a real thing, certainly historically.

So all the Leeds mob getting carried away with world class Bielsa ball should look at Sheff Utd’s story with real caution.

This is a brutal league. The toughest in world football. And we should know, we’ve played our fair share of games this season without getting the breaks. And it is cruel.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I read that their top earners were on £15k per week in their first season. They brought in new players for this season on wages commensurate with other teams of their size in that league. They wouldn't have joined if they didn't.

That disparity hasn't helped. Not the only reason but must have had an impact

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I read that their top earners were on £15k per week in their first season. They brought in new players for this season on wages commensurate with other teams of their size in that league. They wouldn't have joined if they didn't.

That disparity hasn't helped. Not the only reason but must have had an impact

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Sander Berge will be on an absolute wedge, he’ll be gone in the summer if not by the end of the month.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
25 points required in the 2nd half of the season just to finish on 30. Gone.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
A mate of mine is a Sheffield United fan and he hates Brighton passionately. Wants us to go down, refuses to acknowledge us as existing before 2011 and said we were the "worst Prem side he's ever seen" when they played us at the Amex last season. I'm particularly enjoying his team now actually being on track to be the worst Prem side ever so, personally, I want them to go down, and go down hard!

May I suggest an edit?

Right at the end, remove 'hard' and replace with 'twice'.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the difference between a club like the Albion and Sheff Utd is recruitment.

If you haven't got money and don't pay big wages your recruitment and player development has to be spot on. They haven't improved the core they had, whereas we have got Lamptey, developed White and Bissouma, improved March, brought in experience like Lallana and Welbeck.You need to do that just to have fighting chance.

I think Newcastle have fallen into the same trap, and while Wilson was a great signing I don't think he can can keep them up by himself.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I heard that and its the first time that i can recall him sounding downbeat....almost as if he was offering to resign

There was talk that a manager had offered to resign in December, but the club rejected it. I'm wondering if it's him.

I've always had a bad feeling towards them. After our first game against them, the fans just really got on my nerves and since then i've had a strong dislike for them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A lack of tactical adaptability.

The system of marauding centre backs attacking down the flanks, even though well known from their Championship seasons, must now be analysed to death by opposing EPL coaches.

Allied to a load of big units (McBurnie, McGoldrick, Basham, Egan, Stevens and Berge) which inevitably leads to a direct, in your faces game. When other teams plan for and match that, what creativity do they have?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A lack of tactical adaptability.

The system of marauding centre backs attacking down the flanks, even though well known from their Championship seasons, must now be analysed to death by opposing EPL coaches.

Allied to a load of big units (McBurnie, McGoldrick, Basham, Egan, Stevens and Berge) which inevitably leads to a direct, in your faces game. When other teams plan for and match that, what creativity do they have?

Norwood got a couple of assists on Sunday.

For Spurs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here