Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sheffield United.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Saw a great performance there back in the late 80,s at the home of The Blades mind you it was Bruce and Co. So looks like second season syndrome but what and where has it gone wrong for the Yorkshire club ?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Championship level squad, exceeded expectations last year, quite unlucky from the few games I’ve seen of them this season, but they definitely don’t have enough quality in their squad, I thought they would struggle this year but to be quite so low on points is surprising.

Also I feel like teams have worked their system out, last season the 3-5-2 style they played caused a few teams trouble, now teams just tend to match them up.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Championship level squad, exceeded expectations last year, quite unlucky from the few games I’ve seen of them this season, but they definitely don’t have enough quality in their squad, I thought they would struggle this year but to be quite so low on points is surprising.

Also I feel like teams have worked their system out, last season the 3-5-2 style they played caused a few teams trouble, now teams just tend to match them up.

Like Leeds, but it only took 15 games to work them out?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
A mate of mine is a Sheffield United fan and he hates Brighton passionately. Wants us to go down, refuses to acknowledge us as existing before 2011 and said we were the "worst Prem side he's ever seen" when they played us at the Amex last season. I'm particularly enjoying his team now actually being on track to be the worst Prem side ever so, personally, I want them to go down, and go down hard!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In his post-match Interview yesterday Chris Wilder sounded completely broken. I know the Board have stated that he stays in position, regardless of the outcome of this season - but he really sounded as if he has nothing left.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lost their keeper Henserson. Lost their main CB O'Connell to a season-long injury, neither have been adequately replaced. They won a lot of games by the odd goal last season, but without that solidity at the back along with a pretty toothless front line, its not difficult to see why those fine margins are now going against them.

Good to have at least 1 relegation spot secured already.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Leeds are going through a poor run of form, and are beset by injuries, but when they are back to their best, are twice the team that Sheff United are, plus they can play football, and are exciting to watch.

Easy to be taken in by the style you’ve seen in some games and yes they do play fabulous open football at times but the injuries are most likely a result of how hard Bielsa works his players, nearly all of his teams are known for starting fast and going off the boil towards the end of the season, they got very fortunate last year that they got the break as they were running out of steam.

Time will tell, but I don’t think that style is sustainable, I’ve seen them play a fair few teams this season who just sit in and they really seem to struggle.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Lots of individual errors too, like ceding possession to the opposition in and around their defensive third of the pitch. I guess that is the logical consequence of your first point regarding Championship standard players, allied to the ruthless quality of the players they are facing. Yesterday they gifted the ball to Spurs outside their box on two occasions and both times Aaron Ramsdale was picking the ball out of his net within seconds.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In his post-match Interview yesterday Chris Wilder sounded completely broken. I know the Board have stated that he stays in position, regardless of the outcome of this season - but he really sounded as if he has nothing left.

Well he probably doesn't have anything left to offer. His team don't seem able to vary their tactics, and are so one dimensional. The opposition knows exactly how they are going to set up.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
More of them need to wear their socks down trendily to show they have flair like McBurnie.

WTF is all that about?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well he probably doesn't have anything left to offer. His team don't seem able to vary their tactics, and are so one dimensional. The opposition knows exactly how they are going to set up.

Shame we haven’t even come close to beating them in three attempts!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yesterday Ollie Norwood gifted the ball to Spurs outside their box on two occasions and both times Aaron Ramsdale was picking the ball out of his net within seconds.

Edited.

He was hooked soon after. Decent enough in the Championship for us, but there's no way he is a PL player, which reinforces your point.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Not actually true, is it?

We came within a barely-comprehensible last second Jahanbaksh bullshit 2 foot header at an open goal, of beating them, last time out!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

After our draw with them in December a friend WhatsApp'd to say they had been plucky but lucky, which was encouraging because I was there so had a more limited view than the TV one, and just thought we were rubbish. We did, though, have enough clear cut opportunities to win the game, whereas their goal was somewhat fortunate.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not actually true, is it?

We came within a barely-comprehensible last second Jahanbaksh bullshit 2 foot header at an open goal, of beating them, last time out!

Having not taken the lead in any of the three games it’s pretty close to being true though :smile:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just like Hudds, a better than expected first season up meant they thought they could achieve the same again with same squad, led them to not invest in as many new players as they needed second season, but they lost the 110% battling mentality they had as new arrivals. Second season syndrome to a tee.

Almost caught us out as well second season but we were lucky we had three horrendous teams below us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Lots of individual errors too, like ceding possession to the opposition in and around their defensive third of the pitch. I guess that is the logical consequence of your first point regarding Championship standard players, allied to the ruthless quality of the players they are facing. Yesterday they gifted the ball to Spurs outside their box on two occasions and both times Aaron Ramsdale was picking the ball out of his net within seconds.

Two of the individual errors I saw, that led to goals came from Oliver Norwood, I’m sorry to say. He’s a lovely fella and a very good championship player, but not quite good enough for this level.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Almost caught us out as well second season but we were lucky we had three horrendous teams below us.

And the fact there was a horrendous issue with the player Cardiff bought

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here