Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tinkering stats

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I know a lot of people on NSC think that Graham Potter tinkers with the side too much. These figures show the time the most played XI have spent on the pitch as a proportion of total minutes.

Tinkering.jpg

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I know a lot of people on NSC think that Graham Potter tinkers with the side too much. These figures show the time the most played XI have spent on the pitch as a proportion of total minutes.

View attachment 132618

How absurd........presenting facts to demolish the opinions of the P.O.P (Potter out posters):clap2:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You should also factor in a higher than usual level of injuries, without which that 74% would be higher.

Connolly, Lallana, Alzate, Wellbeck. Quite a few others.

Also factor in a permanent change of keeper which we didn't see in previous years.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Always thought it’s a bit of a meme, a myth that he tinkers too much. Good to see some actual facts.

Before you jump all over it, Stasi like, just have a think about the meaning of that stat. It certainly tells us some of the story, but does not capture the tinkering of players being used in multiple positions. A good example would be Ben White. A fair bit of the tinkering criticism has been about playing him in three different positions.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

View attachment 132618

I'd be more interested to see a game on game number of changes. That just shows we don't have a huge amount of depth in the squad. Has he made no changes at all game on game this season?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Before you jump all over it, Stasi like, just have a think about the meaning of that stat. It certainly tells us some of the story, but does not capture the tinkering of players being used in multiple positions. A good example would be Ben White. A fair bit of the tinkering criticism has been about playing him in three different positions.

You mean Ben White in his man of the match performance in central midfield on Saturday?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What that won't show, presumably, is players who have been played in different positions, eg Ben White will be recorded as ever-present (I think, without checking) but has played in several different positions. I think most would consider that as tinkering also.

Edit: sorry - I see others made the same point whilst I was mid-post and distracted by home-schooling shit.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You mean Ben White in his man of the match performance in central midfield on Saturday?

Well yes, that’s exactly what I mean. I thought he played brilliantly and Potter got his tactics just right. Unlike yourself I have no religious fervour in backing either an ‘in’ or ‘out ‘ position. You lost touch with balanced debate quite some time ago and now seem to trawl NSC looking for validation of your views or posts from unbelievers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...and of the seven sides who are tinkered with more than us, there's been a fair bit of Covid-enforced shuffling going on.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
What that won't show, presumably, is players who have been played in different positions, eg Ben White will be recorded as ever-present (I think, without checking) but has played in several different positions. I think most would consider that as tinkering also.

Edit: sorry - I see others made the same point whilst I was mid-post and distracted by home-schooling shit.

We don't have anyone ever present this season. Ben White has played the most mins for us but was an un-used sub against Arsenal.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If nothing else it highlights the top 5 on that list have a lack of strength in depth, and arguably versatility.

The fact we've beaten 2 of them kind of highlights that.

I wouldn't read too much into the table at all really, injuries and suspensions skew it, as well as genuine tactical variations.

positional ones wouldn't show.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think the tinkering is a necessity as it helps him find the best formations.
eg:
Lets try Sanchez and rest Ryan..... result..... we have a keeper that comes for crosses, stands big when players are through on him and IMHO, looks the best young keeper in the division.
Lets stop playing Webster on the left of Dunky, play Webster on the right and Dunky on the left.....result.... Webbie is looking twice the player he was 6 weeks ago, and Dunky is refinding the form he displayed when he used to play on the left of Duffy.
Lets play MacAllister further forward.... result..... the last two games he has looked superb and IMHO was MOM both times .
He is still working out his best formations, but bring Bissuma, Lamptey, Welbeck, Lalana and possibly a left wing back and suddenly it is giving us hope that the tinkering has payed off

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We have been here before with a classy performance and a win under Potter followed by a run of games without winning and sometimes baffling line ups. Let’s hope the corner has been turned for the better.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We don't have anyone ever present this season. Ben White has played the most mins for us but was an un-used sub against Arsenal.

looking toward the latter half of the season, when fatigue and suspensions can start to play a part, ( and injuries obvs) the fact we have a squad of PL players rather than a team and some subs can only be a good thing, outside the top 6-8 there aren't that many clubs that boast that, I don't think.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The fact is that there are a lot of games in a short space of time and we have a large squad, where the ones on the bench often have as strong a claim to a place as the ones in the team.

We should be making changes

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Whilst I don't disagree with you, White was great on Saturday (and how wonderful it was that his best performance came against those northern cretins after their behaviour in the summer)......but he's been average at best when playing in midfield in pretty much every other game he's played there.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Well yes, that’s exactly what I mean. I thought he played brilliantly and Potter got his tactics just right. Unlike yourself I have no religious fervour in backing either an ‘in’ or ‘out ‘ position. You lost touch with balanced debate quite some time ago and now seem to trawl NSC looking for validation of your views or posts from unbelievers.

OR I genuinely believe Potter is a talented young manager who is building something special.

Sorry if believing that offends you in some way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here