Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mental health: Ian Hart on lockdown and solitude

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
Had this on whilst doing some DIY yesterday, thought provoking isn't a strong enough adjective.Thank you, Ian for the words of advice. I rang a good friend of mine that I hadn't spoken to since early November and I knew he wasn't doing too well because of lockdown.

We had a fantastic chinwag remembering some daft moments we had at university together, then made a promise to meet up in Norwich when lockdown ends for a bite to eat and a few drinks. You could hear in his voice that it really lifted him.

It was a great podcast, highly recommend it.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Very courageous of Harty to tell us his story. I remember him posting on here giving us a brief insight in to his problems. I hope the good messages he got from all of us helped a little in letting him know that he certainly isn't alone if you delve in to the surreal world of NSC. Good luck Harty in a full recovery and a very happy new life.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I suffer massively from mental health issues, it’s a tough 1, I’m only 31 and am really struggling with this latest lockdown.
I love going to the gym and it’s really effecting my mental health. Been taking the dog out more recently
The suicide rate for men in 2019 was the highest in 2 decades., not enough is done about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I suffer massively from mental health issues, it’s a tough 1, I’m only 31 and am really struggling with this latest lockdown.
I love going to the gym and it’s really effecting my mental health. Been taking the dog out more recently
The suicide rate for men in 2019 was the highest in 2 decades., not enough is done about it

Well, herein lies the start, we hope...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Pm sent old mate, if you want to wax lyrical about anything, Graham Potter, Mark Farrington, Patti Boulaye, Doris Stokes even Jason Peake, you've got my number.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I’m not sure exactly what you like about the gym but if it’s aerobic exercise have you considered running as an alternative? There’s a running thread on NSC where you can get advice, encouragement and a sense of community plus a NSC runners group on Strava for a further feeling of community. Just a thought.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Well done [MENTION=3666]LennyRider for your candid words. :clap2::clap2:

Hope they will be useful for many struggling at present, in helping to de-stigmatise such issues.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I thought that was a really, really great listen. Hats off to Harty for being so honest, candid and upfront about things. From a personal point of view, 2020 was the year I started to suffer some mental health issues of my own - totally out of the blue. I didn’t really have a big support network in terms of friends I thought I could turn to, but I did start private therapy very quickly (after a really useful appointment with my GP). Therapy has certainly made a difference to me. I personally found it very useful to a) have someone totally dispassionate to talk to about things, who understood everything you said (without having to explain any context or background) and b) actually learning a lot more about how the brain functions in terms of negative thinking and intrusive thoughts.

In case anyone else is struggling, I’d strongly recommend having a chat with your GP in the first instance and then pursuing therapy if you’re able to. I’m always happy to PM anyone who is struggling.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020

You've done so well, so keep going; I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder when I was 13, so having suffered more than half my life with it - I know how you feel. The gym was a perfect way for me to drain excess energy I had which often resulted in my over-thinking everything whilst laid up in bed.

Walking the dog must be quite relaxing, as a dog lover myself, I'm rather jealous!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's not a replacement for the gym, but the Body Coach, Joe Wicks has lots of exercises on You Tube, from full body work outs, to gentle 10 minute work outs for the over 70s, like me. Exercise in any form, releases endorphins which help to improve your mood.

I endorse what others are saying about going to your GP. I have suffered from depression a couple of times, and the doctor has always been very understanding and helpful.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I thought that was a really, really great listen. Hats off to Harty for being so honest, candid and upfront about things. From a personal point of view, 2020 was the year I started to suffer some mental health issues of my own - totally out of the blue. I didn’t really have a big support network in terms of friends I thought I could turn to, but I did start private therapy very quickly (after a really useful appointment with my GP). Therapy has certainly made a difference to me. I personally found it very useful to a) have someone totally dispassionate to talk to about things, who understood everything you said (without having to explain any context or background) and b) actually learning a lot more about how the brain functions in terms of negative thinking and intrusive thoughts.

In case anyone else is struggling, I’d strongly recommend having a chat with your GP in the first instance and then pursuing therapy if you’re able to. I’m always happy to PM anyone who is struggling.

I used to frequently be kept at bedtime by negative thoughts swirling round my head.
I was introduced to a simple idea that has massively helped.
Think of five Albion players (or test cricketers or whatever) with surnames starting with a, then b, then c etc.
It takes some practice but in time you are able to block any other thoughts entering your head. It helps if you combine it by taking deep, slow breaths.
You soon drop off.
This technique has improved my sleep by 90%.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
I used to frequently be kept at bedtime by negative thoughts swirling round my head.
I was introduced to a simple idea that has massively helped.
Think of five Albion players (or test cricketers or whatever) with surnames starting with a, then b, then c etc.
It takes some practice but in time you are able to block any other thoughts entering your head. It helps if you combine it by taking deep, slow breaths.
You soon drop off.
This technique has improved my sleep by 90%.

I've been suffering from insomnia since about November so will have to give this a go!

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Good listen. Thanks for posting.

So happy mental health is such a central conversation in the UK these days.

And what struck me immediately is when asked the question "how are you" an Englishman will answer it!
When I first moved to the States people thought I was weird by answering that question until I figured out it's generally used as a common greeting like "alright". No answer expected. They got one anyway. :lol:

I'm an introvert so need time away from people to recharge. But this 'new normal' has been immensely challenging for me. I definitely need time with people, not none at all!

I'd be interested to see the statistics for suicide and mental health in general. They are a huge factor that need to be considered as we evolve our response to COVID. Amongst all the other issues.

The more people talk about their experience the better. Props to Ian Hart (I know all about the "self-destruction" button - for me personally it is/was about trying to force change...).

And I too found the best answer to isolation (and potentially depression) is to reach out to people and talk, via FaceTime, Skype, whatever.
You'd be surprised how many people really want to catch up, at the moment. Including old friends you haven't spoken to in a while. COVID and isolation is a good excuse to reach out to those people.

One conversation can reframe so much in your mind. Refresh your mind. It's so important.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I've been suffering from insomnia since about November so will have to give this a go!

Do. But remember, It takes practice to bring your mind to heel

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think of five Albion players with surnames starting with a, then b, then c etc.

Some letters might induce nightmares, but I get your idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here