Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mental health: Ian Hart on lockdown and solitude

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND?

To many of us of a certain vintage, former fanzine editor, campaigner, activist and phone-in host Ian Hart has often been seen as a larger-than-life, and (in his own words) a 'full-on', character.

The life and soul of many an Albion gathering, with a smile, a glint in his eye, and an outrageous word while conducting an auction or hosting an event.

But that doesn't detract from the fact that he, like everyone else, can hit the old Darklands now and then. It doesn't matter who you are, what you have, nor how wealthy, confident or happy you have been in life, the clouds can still form over you. Whether self-inflicted or a shite hand of cards being dealt your way.

And it's a times like this - we all need a friend.

Listen in to this extract from this week's Albion Roar where Harty opens up to reveal the depression which enveloped him through 2020. More than that, if you can, he suggests we all take a moment to go to your contact list, and call a friend.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7774293-the-albion-roar-ian-hart-on-lockdown-and-solitude

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Very brave of Ian to discuss his problems.
As high profile an Albion fan that he is, if it helps one person who is struggling, it will be worth it .
As he says, if you know someone who is alone, give them a bell.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
You’re not such an arse are you Harty!! Well done and good luck.

An inspiring listen

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Really enjoyed listening to you Harty again. Took me back to the phone in years. You always talk a lot of sense and I admire your honesty and braveness in talking about your problems. As you say life is short and positivity is really important. I’d love it if you had time to be a regular on the podcast with the other chaps. If not have you ever thought about doing your own Albion podcast?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wise words, tricky times for many.

Just a 5 minute call to check in on someone alone can make a huge difference, lockdown and mid-winter is not a good combination

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's an important message there. Thanks for sharing.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Glad to hear you’re in a better place Harty.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really big fan of the roar and also of discussing mental health openly so looking forward to listening to this... remember, ALWAYS TALK and NEVER FEEL ASHAMED!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I listened to this morning as I do each Sunday out walking the dog with my coffee. Have to say I sat down on a bench by the river as I listened, it was really moving. I had no idea our Harty had been to hell and back. Real courage to say that and so many well and wise points made I’d encourage everyone to download and listen to. The Roar is such a brilliant blend of the Albion and life, just like NSC. Well played Aidy, Al and Reverb. You excelled this weekend just like we did up at Elland Road!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't beat an outdated cultural reference that nobody under the age of 50 will get :thumbsup:

In fact: where was the Petulengro woman? Harty always used to mention her.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here