Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Youngest Team in Top Flight History

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We already have the youngest squad in the top flight (Palace have the oldest). It's hugely encouraging seeing Potter give these lads a chance- doesn't everyone want to see the ones produced by the club (and Leeds) doing so well? It's well documented now that other clubs want to secure our young players on loan because they know they will have had a brilliant grounding. Loved seeing Khadra get a go the other night, and hopefully we will see Teddy Jenks soon, who looks an extremely accomplished player.

I've said it before but if we can follow the Southampton model of producing loads of talented first team quality players, we'll be doing very well indeed. Even if we end up following the other Southampton model of selling them all to Liverpool and Arsenal for large fees.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Selling players to fund our expansion is inevitable. Even before Covid we were in no position to resist big money for our stars and that's even more relevant now. However, we are starting to identify the next guy to step up now so for example Moder/Molumby are likely to be Bissouma's replacement at some point This obviously makes sense as we get competition plus more profit as we are not buying from other clubs with rise in valuations usually associated with replacing a player involved in a big sale.

Question I have is though is what do you think we need to invest that money in if we are to bridge the gap to the bigger clubs? Short term its the team clearly, but surely if we are to catch the Villa's, Everton's of this world never mind the Liverpools and the United's etc. It needs to be the stadium and its capacity? We need to grow the size of the club as much as the quality of the team if we really want to be a top 10 club long term...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Selling players to fund our expansion is inevitable. Even before Covid we were in no position to resist big money for our stars and that's even more relevant now. However, we are starting to identify the next guy to step up now so for example Moder/Molumby are likely to be Bissouma's replacement at some point This obviously makes sense as we get competition plus more profit as we are not buying from other clubs with rise in valuations usually associated with replacing a player involved in a big sale.

Question I have is though is what do you think we need to invest that money in if we are to bridge the gap to the bigger clubs? Short term its the team clearly, but surely if we are to catch the Villa's, Everton's of this world never mind the Liverpools and the United's etc. It needs to be the stadium and its capacity? We need to grow the size of the club as much as the quality of the team if we really want to be a top 10 club long term...

Don't agree with a word of what you say

Selling players is not inevitable. We've not done it for years. This top 10 plan we've got, TB is not a man to say things he doesn't mean. Other clubs have sold players. It doesn't mean we will. I personally think White, Biss and Tariq will all be lining up for us next season.

In terms of the capacity. Short term we're going to have to see what people's appetite for returning to football is for the next year or two. Some elderly people may never come back, some will have got a taste for watching every match on TV or he'sgoal. I believe that from next season we, like most clubs, won't sell out even for big games.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Errr, what?

How many big money rumours have swirled around Dunk in previous seasons, and yet he's still here? How much were Leeds offering for White? He's still here. We resisted offers for Stephen's in previous years, only let him go once we decided he was surplus.

I think the only name I can think of to support a claim "we were in no position to resist big money" would be Ulloa to Leicester, and that was a while ago. There's more examples of us *not* selling to big offers. That ells me Bloom knows the value of our stars and won't sell until the offer is higher than that value (and thus funds a replacement plus profit). IMO, for us it's not about the market value of the player as to whether or not we sell - it's what value the player brings to the team.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Errr, what?

How many big money rumours have swirled around Dunk in previous seasons, and yet he's still here? How much were Leeds offering for White? He's still here. We resisted offers for Stephen's in previous years, only let him go once we decided he was surplus.

I think the only name I can think of to support a claim "we were in no position to resist big money" would be Ulloa to Leicester, and that was a while ago. There's more examples of us *not* selling to big offers. That ells me Bloom knows the value of our stars and won't sell until the offer is higher than that value (and thus funds a replacement plus profit). IMO, for us it's not about the market value of the player as to whether or not we sell - it's what value the player brings to the team.

The only circumstance I can see a sale happening, is that if a player who has clearly done his dues here gets a fabulous offer from a top club and we're being very handsomely recompensed, plus we're very confident in a young understudy, Tony might send them off with his blessing ....

But we're not dropping our knickers for Leeds or West Ham.

I also don't think we're selling to cover Covid losses. I believe Tony, to his incredible credit once again, is going to absorb losses in the short term knowing that the market will be more buoyant after recovery.

I also can't see a player forcing a sale through, by stopping or striking. The squad know that the manager has the club's full backing so they can't play one against the other like they can at Newcastle

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Who has offered us really big money for any of our players? I must have missed that.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Dunk really showing his age now looking at that team sheet.
Maybe time to give him a back room coaching role and give one of the youngsters a chance in the first team
.:lolol:

I'm not having that!

old-dunky.png

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The chances of Moder or Karbownik starting against Fulham are nil.

Even Graham Potter wouldn't play them . . . would he?

Outside chance of Moder starting. He would have to start against Blackpool and perform well. He will almost certainly be on the bench. If he did start, likely for Gross with White slotting into defence.

Karbo. No. As I understand it, not fit. We'll see what GP says about when we're likely to see him later this week.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Obviously no one as yet but do you think it's not coming seriously?

I'm not saying never, but don't hold your breath, I thought Dunk was supposed to be about to set the world alight in the transfer market at one time, turned out to be a damp squib so far.

Bissouma or Lamptey maybe.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Obviously no one as yet but do you think it's not coming seriously?

Quite possible it won't

The other PL chairmen know perfectly well TB isn't going to be mugged off and may conclude it's not even worth trying. Bids from abroad may be more likely

The way I see it, every unsuccessful bid for a player shows your hand as to how much cash you've got swimming around

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Don't agree with a word of what you say

Selling players is not inevitable. We've not done it for years. This top 10 plan we've got, TB is not a man to say things he doesn't mean. Other clubs have sold players. It doesn't mean we will. I personally think White, Biss and Tariq will all be lining up for us next season.

In terms of the capacity. Short term we're going to have to see what people's appetite for returning to football is for the next year or two. Some elderly people may never come back, some will have got a taste for watching every match on TV or he'sgoal. I believe that from next season we, like most clubs, won't sell out even for big games.

Interesting, other opinions are available. I would say that's the most likely outcome although I prefer your version. Very few clubs are not selling clubs and I cannot envisage a scenario where we would refuse a stellar bid for a player especially if the player wanted it too. Improving though we are, we are a little way from competing for the CL places just yet. Do you think if someone offered say £60m for Bissouma that we are not going to sell?

As for the empty ground part it could work that way for sure. Equally possible is some kind of renaissance for entertainment in general as people emerge from a prolonged lockdown period, who knows?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Errr, what?

We of course don't know but I presume no acceptable offer for Dunk ever materialised. I think anyone who thinks now we're a PL team we won't lose players is in for some disappointment IMO

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm not saying never, but don't hold your breath, I thought Dunk was supposed to be about to set the world alight in the transfer market at one time, turned out to be a damp squib so far.

Bissouma or Lamptey maybe.

I'd like them to stay as much as anyone but when Utd or someone come around offering european football and £150k a week loyalty is tested.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Interesting, other opinions are available. I would say that's the most likely outcome although I prefer your version. Very few clubs are not selling clubs and I cannot envisage a scenario where we would refuse a stellar bid for a player especially if the player wanted it too. Improving though we are, we are a little way from competing for the CL places just yet. Do you think if someone offered say £60m for Bissouma that we are not going to sell?

As for the empty ground part it could work that way for sure. Equally possible is some kind of renaissance for entertainment in general as people emerge from a prolonged lockdown period, who knows?

I just don't think anyone is willing to pay anywhere near that.

Liverpool have only paid really big bucks a couple of times. At the start of next season they will have a raft of injured players fit and will be very strong in midfield

Arsenal sacked a dinosaur and are having to be propped up by the Bank of England.

Chelsea are probably not going to keep giving Lampard £50m+ to spend

Spurs, seriously hit by loss of matchday income. Levy isn't buying big right now

City. He's not going there. Not a Pep player

Man U. This is the most plausible option. If they get big money for Pogba, they might look for a big money replacement. Far from certain it will be Biss though.

Leicester or Everton are not totally implausible, but they are both already very strong in centre mid.

At the end of the day he's worth more to us than to anyone else would be willing to pay. So is Tariq, so is Ben. I think we're holding on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here