Votes: 53 35.8%
  • No, let them celebrate how they like

Votes: 95 64.2%

• Total voters

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-for-hugging-in-goal-celebrations-coronavirus
Julian Knight MP, the chair of the digital, culture, media and sport committee brands football goal celebrations as brainless. Is this brainless political virtue signalling by yet another hapless point scoring politician or are brainless footballers irresponsible to celebrate in the usual ways in the Covid era? Please comment.
(Poll added re whether goal celebrations should be restricted)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Brexit is (and was) also brainless.

As is our PM I hasten to add. I’d suggest politicians focus on bigger problems than football celebrations.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
It's a contact sport, they share a changing room. They're all spitting on and rolling around on the same pitch, heading and handling the same ball.

I suppose the FA could enforce a 'celebrate alone' policy, but it wouldn't really make any difference because of the above.

Elite football is one of the few industries where all staff get covid testing twice a week. Just a politician having a pop at football for some reason.
Exactly. It's clear why the country is in such a state when politicians come out with nonsense like this. This woman needs to find another job.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's a contact sport, they share a changing room. They're all spitting on and rolling around on the same pitch, heading and handling the same ball.

I suppose the FA could enforce a 'celebrate alone' policy, but it wouldn't really make any difference because of the above.

Elite football is one of the few industries where all staff get covid testing twice a week. Just a politician having a pop at football for some reason.

The most ridiculous suggestion was that Rugby players shouldn't shake hand at the end of the match!

Scrums are ok though!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Another MP trying to move a story on to a soft target.
It's like a football manager whose team lose 3:0 and post match deflecting any stick to asking should Boris ride 7 miles.
My answer to the question though is, you'll never stop a dumb footballer.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Footballers celebrating is the least of our worries, but a convenient distraction from the morass of incompetence among our self-serving politicians in a country that hasn't even yet implemented tests for overseas arrivals, whose confused politicians consistently overestimate everything they are doing, while underestimating the long term effects on the population of their foolishness, and who repeatedly tell the hoi polloi to do one thing while doing what they like themselves. Decrying goal celebrations in a contact sport (has she seen what it's like at a corner?) is a virtue signalling, classist irrelevance.
Sorry just can't get off the fence!

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
................... as is whataboutery.

.....................Related though, if the Government is advising on what to do/not to do to reduce transmissions and the death rate. What's wrong making comparisions? Does she think try celebrations should be banned in rugby?! It's nonsensical.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Watching spuds score and go into their man cuddle the other day, I'm sure I saw chinny had his tongue down a colleagues throat :eek:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why are churches still open for communal worship?

Whataboutery this if you want but lots of old people indoors, untested versus regularly tested people outdoors who are all over each other at every corner and free kick anyway?

:mad:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
They gave an example on the radio the other day of Man City's free kick in our penalty area where there were something like 16 players within about 4 metres. You could argue there is as much risk there as three players celebrating a goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here