Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team selection today - Humble Pie

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Lots of humble pie here ... it's almost like he sees the players week in week out in training and has some experience of managing a Premier League football team compared to someone who could barely manage to turn up sober for a Sunday league match :whistle:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I had a big slice and came back for seconds. I clearly know nothing about football [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We got the result, but it’s not to say we were stronger for not starting biss.
I thought we looked instantly more solid when he came on.
If he was tired or injured then fine, but imho there can never be tactical justification for not playing him.
He’s our best player and, if fit, should start every game

Well, at least you've qualified it. Do we know whether he was fully match fit?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To be fair I was thinking the worse when I saw our starting 11 today - but fair play to Potter - He got it spot on today - outwitting the best manager the world has ever seen !

Anybody else snacking on the humble pie ?

Top man for starting this thread. I said pre-match that Potter better get a result with that line-up. Somebody else said that he's got some cojones for doing it. I think that was better put.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Disagree. Yes, Leeds were poor, but I thought we were very solid against them. I certainly don't think we "scraped" it, or that it was a "win ugly" performance. The defence were excellent and supremely well organised. Sanchez was so well protected and barely had a save to make against the team who are second in the PL in terms of the number of shots on goal they've had this season. You think Leeds looked crap: do you not think we had something to do with that? This is a team who have outplayed some of the top sides and won plaudits from every tedious pundit in the business for their "attacking style". We restricted them to a few half arsed efforts, and not by parking the bus either.

I was somewhat surprised by the line-up before the game, but there was a very clear change to the usual tactical plan on view, which can only have been instigated by Potter:
-goal kicks were going medium to long, and Burn was notably being pushed forward to win those balls
-Mac Allister was playing an advanced role in the very large hole between Leeds' midfield and their defence, and running at them (we have been so bad at running at teams recently)
-we binned off the annoyingly unsuccessful short corner routine in favour of balls into the six yard box against a team with an even worse record than us at defending set pieces
-Gross was both solid and creative in the central midfield role that I'm sure most of us would have picked Bissouma for

Somehow, Potter the amateur has completely out-thought the Greatest Manager The World Has Ever Seen.

This

Nailed it

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The tactic of closing Leeds down quickly and crowding them in the centre of the pitch worked very well in the first half. They couldn't match our ability to play one touch accurate passes when under pressure so we swamped them. I believe we still would've achieved this with any of Bissouma, Propper or Alzate in the centre of midfield. I'm a big fan of White and
Webster as ball playing centrebacks and would prefer to see them either side of Dunk if we are to play 3 CB's, Burn isn't as good with the ball at his feet. In all honesty I saw the starting line up and shrugged the only surprise being no Bissouma

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
I was concerned at 2pm I’m not going to lie.

Out of interest what it’s the view on the logic of starting Gross rather than Bissouma?

I’ve see the quarter back role and set pieces mentioned but Shirley that’s why MacAllister starts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I was concerned at 2pm I’m not going to lie.

Out of interest what it’s the view on the logic of starting Gross rather than Bissouma?

I’ve see the quarter back role and set pieces mentioned but Shirley that’s why MacAllister starts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think anyone’s fully worked it out other than it clearly was a tactic GP thought carefully about and it worked [emoji1]

It was me who likened Gross’ role yesterday to a quarterback. I could be wrong, but that’s how I saw it. Because it played to his strengths. whilst he’s slow he’s so good at pinging the ball about from the middle, allowing White and Mac to overlap him and he could play it short or long on either side. It was super effective as a counter attack strategy and letting Leeds have the ball.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I don’t think anyone’s fully worked it out other than it clearly was a tactic GP thought carefully about and it worked [emoji1]

It was me who likened Gross’ role yesterday to a quarterback. I could be wrong, but that’s how I saw it. Because it played to his strengths. whilst he’s slow he’s so good at pinging the ball about from the middle, allowing White and Mac to overlap him and he could play it short or long on either side. It was super effective as a counter attack strategy and letting Leeds have the ball.

Also the heavy long grass pitch helped him enormously. He struggles on the carpet like fast pitches because of his lack of pace.

So if this was a factor in his selection then that was genius.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
To be fair I was thinking the worse when I saw our starting 11 today - but fair play to Potter - He got it spot on today - outwitting the best manager the world has ever seen !

Anybody else snacking on the humble pie ?

If you follow The Herd, you get Humble Pie. But then you Come Alive and Show them the Way to beat the best in the world..:rock:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here