Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gross

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
If anybody, ANYBODY, thinks Gross is a better option than a fully fit Bissouma ever, they need a check up from the neck up.

They’re totally different players. I’m not sure if there’s a need to put Gross down because he played and Bissouma didn’t.

Bissouma is arguably our best player, but he doesn’t have the awareness or passing range that Gross has.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A very cultured footballer is Pascal Gross, arguably to some Yves Bissouma is more exciting going forward, but for me he still has a lot to learn.

Still interested Real Madrid?

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I will probably get shot down...we have played better & moved the ball quicker against City and Leeds without Bissouma in the side.

Brave. Bissouma has been overplayed. I've almost thought he is pacing himself as expects to play in every game. A non Bissouma option is brilliant. I personally would like to see Bissouma develop in to an attacking midfielder. His current role is too easy in some respects and would be a good challenge for him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This season Gross has been played almost entirely in that defensive midfield position, I assume as he very rarely gives the ball away. And yet, in every game he plays there the Commentator says at least once that this season Gross has been playing further forward and so he's not used to this position. Does my head in

Theirn is further proof commentators are paid to talk fluidly. Not many of them say anything accurate, factual or meaningful, just blurb.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Today Potter selected Gross over Bissouma- we won the game - so today it was clearly the right decision- that is fact - Was it tactical genius or luck we will never know but today it worked and we won for only the third time this season.

That's correct, it can't be said it was the wrong option because we still won but that's not what you said. You said Gross was the better option FACT. That is what I disagreed with. Me might have won by 2 or 3 with Bissouma, we don't know, so it's not FACT.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
They’re totally different players. I’m not sure if there’s a need to put Gross down because he played and Bissouma didn’t.

Bissouma is arguably our best player, but he doesn’t have the awareness or passing range that Gross has.

Show me where I put Gross down. If I said Ronaldo would always be a better option than Solly, that doesn't mean I don't love Solly, it's just that one is a class above the other. It was more recognition of how excellent Bissouma is

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This season Gross has been played almost entirely in that defensive midfield position, I assume as he very rarely gives the ball away. And yet, in every game he plays there the Commentator says at least once that this season Gross has been playing further forward and so he's not used to this position. Does my head in

Not used to playing further forward? who was the commentator? obviously not someone who was commentating when Pascal was making all those goals for Glenn Murray and Tomer Hemed, plus scoring a fair few of his own, whilst playing the number 10 role, just a few short seasons ago!

Stumpy Tim

Not used to playing further forward? who was the commentator? obviously not someone who was commentating when Pascal was making all those goals for Glenn Murray and Tomer Hemed, plus scoring a fair few of his own, whilst playing the number 10 role, just a few short seasons ago!

You missed the point I'm afraid. They only know Gross from previous seasons when he played further forward. This season though he's been playing in the defensive midfield position. A small amount of research would have shown this, but they don't bother so every game they claim Gross only ever plays the number 10 role. It's just lazy commentating

el punal

Squad rotation, horses for courses, people get tired/twinges, and I'm just a supporter so I know nothing.

Tau looked a bit out of sorts when he came on so maybe that's why he did didn't start.

But we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. :shrug:

I predicted Biss would start though, of course. :lolol:

Ah! The perfect opportunity for me to enter the scene with Rumsfeld’s quote - “ As we know there are known knowns, there are things we know we know . . . but there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don’t know we don’t know”.

Welcome to the world of Potterball! Cue the the theme music for the Twilight Zone. :mad: :drink:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Brave. Bissouma has been overplayed. I've almost thought he is pacing himself as expects to play in every game. A non Bissouma option is brilliant. I personally would like to see Bissouma develop in to an attacking midfielder. His current role is too easy in some respects and would be a good challenge for him.

I think Biss’s biggest challenge will be to regularly hit shots on target if he is to become an offensive midfielder. I’d like to see him play more consistently for a period in the role he has, if suited to the opposition which he appears not always to be by Potter. We have a plethora of passers in midfield and too few putting the ball in the net. The best we have at taking the ball forwards is Webster and he’s a centre back.
Take nothing away from yesterday. It was a day when our season could have crumbled. Potter got it right. If we keep playing the way we are and add goals there’s going to be a lot of football fans out there wishing they could watch us every week.

Del of Albion

Jul 15, 2009
East Sussex
Set pieces

Just wonder if Solly's last corner at City made GP think he really needs Pascal in the team for his set piece deliveries. That is a really great part of Pascal's game and he took the majority of them yesterday and on his own at corners.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the bazillionth time I'm watching Moneyball.

Coincidence - I think not!!

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I love watching Gross. Just a great decision maker in 90% of games. Sits when the team needs him too, gets forward when able to. Manages risk taking well. Underestimated and undervalued.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I dont see him in that space at all. He is best served not being a sitting midfielder but I think you lose something the further forward he gets.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ah! The perfect opportunity for me to enter the scene with Rumsfeld’s quote - “ As we know there are known knowns, there are things we know we know . . . but there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don’t know we don’t know”.

Welcome to the world of Potterball! Cue the the theme music for the Twilight Zone. :mad: :drink:

Given the west midlands origin of our dear leader, perhaps this music is more appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2zSWQfEsjY

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I love watching Gross. Just a great decision maker in 90% of games. Sits when the team needs him too, gets forward when able to. Manages risk taking well. Underestimated and undervalued.

I've always liked him, quietly going about his work,.... but.. I do think his contribution has degraded a tad since his peak. I still dont quite see what he is being asked to do, is he supporting white, or is he being asked to support Macallister and Trossard?... I feel, in this formation we saw yesterday, he is falling between two schools, and as such, losing a bit of value in both roles.

I think we have seen the best of him when he was in a clear attacking m/f role... or when he was picking the ball off our defence to distribute.... he was trying to do both yesterday at times,... and as he lacks pace, he wasn't always available....

Propper covers the ground quicker.

Just an observation.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
There's no question that Gross lacks pace. With Propper, his decisions just aren't as good. He'll think he has more time or think something is on when it isn't. This is a problem when you're looking to exploit transitions or commit players to the attack as he can give the ball away cheaply. Gross rarely loses the ball in key areas and with Leeds looking to transition at pace, this is one of the reasons why I think Potter put him in ahead of anyone else yesterday.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Show me where I put Gross down. If I said Ronaldo would always be a better option than Solly, that doesn't mean I don't love Solly, it's just that one is a class above the other. It was more recognition of how excellent Bissouma is

Bissouma has played next to White in cm a number of times and we haven't won. Gross plays one game next to White in cm and we win.

Minuscule sample size but...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here